Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs
IMO: you have two options.

1. Start building stuff and figure out if you really have the skills to make something people are interested in buying. If so, then just run with it. If the capital investment is trivial (e.g. what a hobbyist would spend), then this makes sense. However, the failure rate for half assed business ventures is obscenely high.

2. Develop some prototype designs and build some stuff for yourself. Concurrently, (even for a part-time venture) develop a *realistic* business plan, marketing plan etc. (you've had some good advice along these lines already). What are the costs for shop space, insurance, utilities... The failure rate for well thought out ventures is just high.

A few other thoughts: What's your labor rate, $150, 30 or a bottle? $150/hr to bend "pipe" (confidence inspiring)? If so, for how many hours? You mentioned access to CNC machines. At what cost? Gratis from a friend? If so, for how many hours. Every minute they spend doing stuff for you at less than their regular rate is a gift to you, and money lost for them. Do you expect this to continue indefinitely? Charging buddies a bottle or two is very different than $xx/hr. One off production is much more expensive than volume production. The design work required for the first item produced is carried by the first/only item produced v spread out over n items in volume production. If you don't have enough experience to make perfect bends, get it before you make roll cages. Product liability insurance for roll cages is mandatory.
I have a 1000 sq ft shop at my house, with minimal hand tools a small MIG and this new mandrel tube bender and notcher. As for bending tube for the four wheel shop I am leaving that up to their sales manager, those are the only ppl that will be charged the full $150 an hr rate, and they will be the ones handling that. The access to the shop off hours will always be available to me, I use their equipment, and supply supply my own hardware and they charge me small monthly fee. They do it with a few people to offset their over head, bc when their equipment sits it is still costing them money. As for product liability insurance I was told by a lawyer and an insurance provider until I file for an LLC low production products can be protected by a solid disclaimer, and that product liability insurance is not necessary. When and if this picks up I will definitely look into having what I need. Remeber part time small, see where it goes. Like is said ppl could see my stuff and laugh me right off this forum, who knows? Product liability insurance is maintitory for the time length of the statute of limitations and must be held for the duration whether I am manufacturing or not. Once I commit, I am committed to that insurance for a duration of a minimal of five years. I'm am not quiet there with any commitment, shit I can barely commit to the indoor soccer league every Tuesday or Thursday night. Thanks for your words of advice and I am going to pick option 3 the half assed business venture with some balls and enough education to get into trouble, with the high risk of failure! Let's see what happens, any one want to start a pool?
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Are you asking us to absorb risk and subsidize your capital costs to produce goods that you haven't built yet for a truck that you've only recently bought?

Not sure I understand your post.

My recommendation is: Relax and stop trying to make money. Wheel your truck for a bit. Then make equipment for yourself, and then post pictures of what you made. If anyone says, "I want that to" then I think you have the makings of a business.
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos
Are you asking us to absorb risk and subsidize your capital costs to produce goods that you haven't built yet for a truck that you've only recently bought?

Not sure I understand your post.

My recommendation is: Relax and stop trying to make money. Wheel your truck for a bit. Then make equipment for yourself, and then post pictures of what you made. If anyone says, "I want that to" then I think you have the makings of a business.
Best advice yet, thank you. My post was to just see what the consensus is about having a small time fabricator vs a recognized name like safety device or Safari Gard. Not that I would be able to compete but if ppl would be willing to check out my stuff, thats all. Haven't sold anything yet shit haven't even gotten the equipment yet. I am still trying to feel you guys out, to see what type of response I would get. I dont know if you have read the hole post but my goal was to do exactly what you recommended. Build my gear and go from there. Hopefully I will get to meet alot of you at Uwharrie! and I can get a big thumbs up or an f off, at least then I would known to pursue or not.
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Talking

This is why I posted here, this crew seems legit to me! No bullshitters, which I really like. I have seen you guys pick ppl apart on this site, I just want to see if I can hold my own. If I can't swim with the sharks trust me I want to know. I'm not scared of failure, I am scared of doing the same old bullshit every day and not truly doing what I love, or at least giving it a try. I know that there will be haters, but if more ppl dig what I have then hate it then I am in a good boat. If I can hold my own in a group like this then I truly know that I am getting somewhere. There is alot for me to do before I even start building and taking on more costs, but I also know I need to walk before I run, and this is kinda like my first crawl. I believe actions speak louder than words, and I believe that with my work ethic and creativity I will be able to succeed in some way. I want to thank everyone that has posted and given any type of advice, trust me I have taken all of it under consideration.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
I believe actions speak louder than words,
That's what I was trying to say a coupla thousand words ago. Less blabbing and more fabbing...

BTW...we have no choice but to check your shit out since this is a public forum that anyone can use. There is no unanimous lever that gets pulled just because some people may not like your stuff. But, you could be Bottorf'ed if you end up like that nitwit. Google or use the search if you must know.

Anyway...go for it and stop worrying what a bunch of car-nerds might think about a bunch of stuff you haven't even made yet...sheesh...
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching

That's what I was trying to say a coupla thousand words ago. Less blabbing and more fabbing

Anyway...go for it and stop worrying what a bunch of car-nerds might think about a bunch of stuff you haven't even made yet...sheesh...
LMAO!! Thanks couldn't agree more
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:56 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Less blabbing and more fabbing...stop worrying what a bunch of car-nerds might think about a bunch of stuff you haven't even made yet...sheesh...
good summary

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, bumper, cage, rack