Cable sucks. Any Ideas? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 30th, 2016, 06:44 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Cable sucks. Any Ideas?

I know this is not Defender related but I am sick of paying $170 a month to be able to surf D source and watch Foxnews.

We are looking at possibly a streaming service such as Playstation Vue or Sling. Are any of you guys using this type of service? I am looking at ISP's right now and it seems that I can get what I want for about $60-80 a month.

Old September 30th, 2016, 06:59 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
internet only?
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:18 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Tom -- not sure who you have available by you, but with Verizon FIOS I changed from having their triple play package w/ dvrs/etc.. 50/50 which was costing me almost $200 a month to just having 150/150Mbps for $90/mo... I have Roku's on all of my TVs and I have Netflix and got Sling to cover things such as news, hgtv and kids shows, however I found myself not using it ever... Between Netflix and Youtube I can find almost anything I want... For the past month I've been keeping Sling for the presedential debate on Monday and I ended up just watching a livestream from Youtube... so I cancelled Sling the next day. The one thing is-- I dont watch sports, but if you are into sports Sling has a few channels too. Also, for some of the movie channels (hbo, showtime, etc..) you could pay a monthly fee (or use a relatives login).
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2016, 07:23 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Thanks Ryan.

I am looking at a few different options, it looks like Fios has some good Internet only plans, currently I am using Optimum, when I wired the house I ran CAT 6 into every room and have a patch panel that I can configure.
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

So I did the same thing as Ryan. Dumped my $200+/mo fios triple play and now just have just Internet and phone (crappy cell service in my neighborhood) for about half that. I put an HD antenna in my attic and, with the help of a booster, use it for better than cable quality local channels. We also now have Netflix and Hulu (and I had Amazon prime anyway)

I have smart TVs and Amazon fire sticks, but I am likely switching to Roku
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:50 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Roku and/or Amazon Prime and get the over the air antenna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 30th, 2016, 08:17 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
So I did the same thing as Ryan. Dumped my $200+/mo fios triple play and now just have just Internet and phone (crappy cell service in my neighborhood) for about half that. I put an HD antenna in my attic and, with the help of a booster, use it for better than cable quality local channels. We also now have Netflix and Hulu (and I had Amazon prime anyway) I have smart TVs and Amazon fire sticks, but I am likely switching to Roku
Similar here- $37 for internet(call and threaten to switch to another provider), HD antenna on an old satellite mount, and still have my lifetime HD TiVo for DVR/Netflix/prime.

Win.
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Apple TV. 100 bones for the unit, 8/ month for Netflix. And then free local channels.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:05 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Seems like a lot of options. I will be cutting cord within the next week.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:15 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
Apple TV
This.

I pay $40/month for 25MB/s internet, have an apple TV with Netflix ($8.99), HULU (not mine) and Showtime ($10.99)

Also my iPhone lets me use my network for calls when my cell service is weak due to weather.

Invest in a top tier router, and add a few repeaters or a second base station and viola, cut the cord.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat