Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Cable or DSL

getting rid of the dial up doo doo at my parents which is better? I guess its like asking which locker is better huh? thanks for any insight.
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Monkeyboy

Hmm, DSL at the office and cable at home.

The DSL is usually faster - cable has been slower this week with the kids in the neighborhood home from school.

DSL has dropped service twice in two years.....cable was flaky at first, but once I talked them into stringing a new line from the service point its been better.

Yeah, that would be a big - inconclusive I'd suggest you talk to the users in your / their neighborhood.

KAA
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah I have asked a guy down the st but he is biased since he worked fo the phone company. another person has cable I will ask them what they think. I think we will go with DSL I just wondered what other folks luck was
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I like the DSL at the shop, I hate the cable at home...and the DSL is cheaper.
Old December 29th, 2005, 06:54 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Cable, in my experience in VA, has been more reliable...now I must go knock on wood.
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:48 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
getting rid of the dial up doo doo at my parents which is better? I guess its like asking which locker is better huh? thanks for any insight.
Easy answer: cable.

More involved answer: It depends on the provider. A provider may offer you a 8Mbps up / 1Mbps down DSL connection but unless they have the network infrastructure to support this, your speed will suck. I've had various luck with various providers in various places. In San Antonio, TX, Time Warner's RoadRunner service is excellent. SBC's DSL is acceptable but nothing to write home about. In Northern Virginia, I had great luck with Verizon DSL but terrible problems with RoadRunner (granted, this was in 2001 and lots of things have changed since then). In Utah, I was very happy with Xmission's services.

If you are a gamer or someone who uses a lot of terminal-based applications, low latency
is more important than bandwidth. To understand that, think of a highway. Bandwidth is the number of lanes on your highway. Latency is the speed at which cars travel. If your highway has 20 lanes and everyone moves at 10mph, it won't do you a bit of good. Likewise, a 75mph 2-lane road will cause you problems. To find out how a provider does as far as latency and bandwidth go, have a look at DSLReports.com.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:51 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

DSL also depends on how far you are from their sub-station. I have have very bad experiences with DSL. I find cable to be more reliable, but this is in NYC where the cable never goes out because all the wires are below ground.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:15 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I like the DSL I have now...The cable was ok in my opinion...I prefer the DSL

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:14 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had DSL at home and it was bad. I now have cable with no problems and it never drops out. THey are installing fiber optics here though and it will be available in a few months. I hear that this will be the best and fastest service ever and at a good price too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat