Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:44 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Buying Used in Germany Sucks

So I found a '97 D110. The dealer won't sell it to a private party (AKA "me") because German law would require him to warranty the truck for a year. He will only sell it to another dealer; which will exempt him from the warranty law.

It needs a little work. Perhaps I can get River Mike (in Holland) to buy it, do some repairs, then sell it back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:09 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Damn, wish I could say I'm surprised. The legal system in Germany is incredibly over difficult. I'm at the tail end of a transaction at work that includes Germany and the legal fees are easily 3x over the other EU countries involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:52 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Welcome!

You're right. The system can be a pain to navigate. Once you figure out a few things you become dangerous. Dangerous because you think you know something and can get stuck deeper in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:32 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Welcome! You're right. The system can be a pain to navigate. Once you figure out a few things you become dangerous. Dangerous because you think you know something and can get stuck deeper in...
And that's before you get into their tax code...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
My 110 came from Germany. Foley SV in the UK has a buyer over there who handles those. You could get in touch with Stuart Foley for help.

German-market Defenders are a good buy: factory LHD and usually very well kept by their owners.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The best Defenders though are those that come from Switzerland. Seems the importer waxoyld most of them from new.

If you want an easy button let me know. A colleague of mine has a Puma 110 for sale for like 22k and it's already in the US system.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:30 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Yo Jim! Thanks for the heads-up on the Puma but a '97 has a shot at going home with me. A Puma wouldn't.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2015 10:31 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
My 110 came from Germany. Foley SV in the UK has a buyer over there who handles those. You could get in touch with Stuart Foley for help.

German-market Defenders are a good buy: factory LHD and usually very well kept by their owners.
Thanks for the info.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:51 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
And that's before you get into their tax code...
tell me about it. they are constantly trying to wedge a square peg in a round hole.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Yo Jim! Thanks for the heads-up on the Puma but a '97 has a shot at going home with me. A Puma wouldn't. ------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2015 10:31 AM ------ Thanks for the info.
Must be more creative! A puma is the best value you will get on a full truck's worth of restoration parts.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:48 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
I contacted River Mike about procuring it for export (which circumnavigates the German lemon law), making some much needed repairs, and then selling it back to me. He indicated that he is interested so I asked home for his thoughts on the best path forward.

Without driving it, I already know the truck needs a new section on the roof, at least one new front door, a new driver's side wing, quarter panel, and tires. The tub shows signs of corrosion and the back door is toast. With 220km on he clock, I probably needs some mechanical repairs. it might not be worth the asking price of 7000 euro.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
buying