Buying Long Distsnce - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:13 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Buying Long Distsnce

Just wondering how you guys handle long distance transactions (I.e. buying a vehicle from somewhere far away).

How do you handle payment and taking possession of the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:31 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Build trust in the seller by asking a million questions and ask for copies of ID. There are escrow services if the seller agrees to that. Visit with certified check.

I spent a couple weeks talking with the seller. Almost visited. Got a photo copy of sellers ID, Google foo'd him as best I could. Sent bank wire and prayed I didn't get screwed.

Shipping company sent a flat bed to collect truck and documents
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:40 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Hm well I bought pretty much sight unseen. Asked the PO if they drove it themselves (yes) and paypal'd the money. Delivery was 'nother story tho....
I was ready to fly/drive myself but ended up I didn't have to thanks to Forum member Rover Lover.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:41 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I'd spend the money to go see it. If your dropping $20K +, what's another grand to go see it and drive it and do a full in person inspection.
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:46 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
-Phone conversation demonstrating knowledge of the truck.
-Demographics of the buyer, confirmed by Google and sometimes local tax records.
-Video of car running or of a specific item of the car (Can you show me the gauges as the car starts and then walk around to the engine bay?).
-Facetime
-Bill of Sale including copy of seller's driver's license, current reg, and title.

Those are the usual items that fall in to place before I wire funds. Of note, I have purchased 10 Defenders, still own 7, over the past 3 years, and not one has been inspected by a third party prior or seen by me before the hauler arrives. I have never been burned or disappointed in the condition. All have been private party sales without dealer markup or fancy photos. With transcontinental hauls costing about $1k, the entire country should be your market.
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:55 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
-Phone conversation demonstrating knowledge of the truck.
-Demographics of the buyer, confirmed by Google and sometimes local tax records.
-Video of car running or of a specific item of the car (Can you show me the gauges as the car starts and then walk around to the engine bay?).
-Facetime
-Bill of Sale including copy of seller's driver's license, current reg, and title.

Those are the usual items that fall in to place before I wire funds. Of note, I have purchased 10 Defenders, still own 7, over the past 3 years, and not one has been inspected by a third party prior or seen by me before the hauler arrives. I have never been burned or disappointed in the condition. All have been private party sales without dealer markup or fancy photos. With transcontinental hauls costing about $1k, the entire country should be your market.
Do you have a shipper that you would recommend? 1k seems very reasonable.

I purchased my boat on eBay. Seller was a DoD employee so I felt very comfortable with it. He was a good guy and met me about 2 hours north of his house so I could make the trip back to Long Island with the boat in one day. I had knots in my stomach waiting for him in the strip mall parking lot.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:31 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
Do you have a shipper that you would recommend? 1k seems very reasonable.

I purchased my boat on eBay. Seller was a DoD employee so I felt very comfortable with it. He was a good guy and met me about 2 hours north of his house so I could make the trip back to Long Island with the boat in one day. I had knots in my stomach waiting for him in the strip mall parking lot.
Are you buying in the US? If so what state, California will always be more expensive to ship from because not all (big) trucks are allowed to enter the state? That makes it a little easier than overseas, but either way is doable.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:34 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Are you buying in the US? If so what state? That makes it a little easier than overseas, but either way is doable.
Yes.US only. I think that I would only buy a vehicle that is titled in the US.

I have trucks in about 5 states that I.am looking at right now. All mainland states and shipping to eastern Long Island.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:45 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I shipped my niece's Jeep from Dallas to Boston for $750. I couldn't even drive it there for that counting hotel rooms and food.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:45 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Shipping: uship, patience, and an agreement in the BOS that the seller will store and insure the vehicle until picked up in a reasonable time period, 2-3 weeks. From uship, you will then have contacts that make the same run weekly.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:53 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Someone on this board might be able to take a look for you.

Or take a trip to go see it youself. I've bought vehicles several times and it can be stressful even if everything works out fine.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:04 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Great story on "The Guild" a car restoration shop in Canada last night.
Old couple bought a beautiful looking Camaro. Mechanically perfect but total rust bucket despite the glossy red paint.
It was their dream car. They saved it by dumping another $50k into it.
Don't be like them. Know what you are getting into!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:09 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Yes.US only. I think that I would only buy a vehicle that is titled in the US.

I have trucks in about 5 states that I.am looking at right now. All mainland states and shipping to eastern Long Island.
US only? I would probably do as much digging as you can, find the one you think you want the most, and then take the trip. I was thinking Italy, Netherlands etc.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:34 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
Shipping: uship, patience, and an agreement in the BOS that the seller will store and insure the vehicle until picked up in a reasonable time period, 2-3 weeks. From uship, you will then have contacts that make the same run weekly.
Insurance will have to transfer to buyer once sold. No biggie, just timing- and I always prefer the insurance in my name as soon as vehicle paid. Bottom line, once paid, ownership transfers, so get your insurance immediately- usually you have a 30 day period to notify insurance company. I have seen too many vehicles damaged in transit- hit bridge, transporter flipped an hour after pick up, etc.... Luckily all covered by transporters insurance!

And never send docs with transporter- he would have title, keys, and vehicle. Have seller send title and extra keys to you certified/registered, and give transporter only the keys required to open/start vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:35 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
US only? I would probably do as much digging as you can, find the one you think you want the most, and then take the trip. I was thinking Italy, Netherlands etc.
Yep. US only. I am open to a ROW but I want it here and titled.

I am 90% set on NAS though. We want a ST with a proper NAS cage, so NAS is the best option. We are probably only going to put about 2k miles a year on it.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:41 AM
javelinadave
-
-

When I was truck hunting I would have the owner FaceTime with me and show me known trouble spots. I eliminated 3 trucks by doing this and was able to narrow the list down without spending a minute at an airport. With that said I would fly out before buying anything if it was me.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:45 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Yep. US only. I am open to a ROW but I want it here and titled.

I am 90% set on NAS though. We want a ST with a proper NAS cage, so NAS is the best option. We are probably only going to put about 2k miles a year on it.
Sweet. I get it. Go for it. In the US I would probably go see it. I bought 2 cars online so far, one is did sight unseen, the other I flew down and drove back (Subaru STI). Neither decision I regret, but the ride home with the new toy was a lot of fun.

I am still waiting for my truck. For an impatient person like myself, this is a very difficult time. Buy in the States if you can find what you want.
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Fly and drive. That's how I did it.
Of course I have an unfair advantage of being able to fly free.
I was able to check out several vehicles this way.
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:00 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Fly and drive. That's how I did it.
Of course I have an unfair advantage of being able to fly free.
I was able to check out several vehicles this way.
How do you handle payment and plates? I am assuming that you mean you fly there, check it out and drive it home.

I would be uncomfortable getting on a plane with 40K in cash. Seems kind of gang-sta.
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:05 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Are you with a big national bank? If so just go into a branch with the seller. Have them draw a cashiers check for him and he hands you the title. Ive bought 3 vehicles that way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
buying