Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:00 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Burden of proof... titles, V5, etc.

Hey folks,
I just made my first (of many to follow, I'm sure) visit to the tag office here in GA to attempt titling and registering my landy. I knew there were some items I didn't have but wanted to try anyway because I knew they would have weird, unwritten requirements.

The only issue they had with what I had in hand was the V5. They want 'proof' that the UK doesn't issue titles. The thing counting against me is that the V5 says in big letters "THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP"...

So does anyone have a one-liner from a UK reg or have you been through this before? I'm googling away but I thought I'd check here in case someone has had to 'prove' the same thing to an ill-informed tag office.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
When I registered my "1984" in Georgia they told me that you do not need a title in Georgia if it is 25 years old. I registered mine in dekalb county and it took 15 minutes. They lady just added it and said that I could get a new title if I wanted. Maybe I just got lucky. My 2000 D110 also registered without a hitch.
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:11 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

In WA, I had a letter from the seller, a bill of sale. Easy.
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:12 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Go to a different DMV branch and try again.
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:48 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Call Swansea DVLA and order a " Permanent Certification of Exportation ", cost is 25GBP.

When I imported my last 110 the a@@hole from the UK claimed to have mailed the original V5 but never got it. So i got the above certificate and it it on my name, so it says you are the owner.
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:03 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Color scan the v5 and print without that first page. Ask for a typed invoice from the seller.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:18 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

The form is a V756. All you have to do is fill out the form, I think I was able to email it to them. It took two weeks and I had it.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:05 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

The v5, an invoice and the customs entry documents should be more than enough. Why would you need the certificate stating the truck was exported when you have a US customs entry packet? Omit the first page of the logbook and give the DMV a color copy.

The portion of the V5 stating the vehicle left the country should have been ripped out of the logbook so you may want to explain why it is not there. New York also requires a vin tracing or photo of the vin number plate. You should bring that photo just in case you are asked for it.

If you are in contact with the seller, see if he will sign an invoice as having a signature makes it go faster and requires less explaining.

In New York, we can also fill out a form for obtaining a title on an older vehicle and have a police officer sign off that the vin number is correct. This can be mailed in and saves some time at the DMV. It is a nice alternative to waiting in line at the DMV for the title or submitting the above-mentioned documentation.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:40 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thank you all for your help -

I'm going to try again on Tuesday with a color copy of the v5 in lieu of the full document. I already have a signed bill of sale, a document where a LEO verified my VIN (Georgia req't) and all of the import docs. I'm actually going to see if they are dumb enough to take 'wikipedia' as a source also - as a shitty backup plan. It is truly the only place I've found that says outright that the UK doesn't issue titles for ownership. If the second visit doesn't work I'll just play their game and get the form ya'll mentioned and see if that helps...

If all else fails I'll just have to wait a while and attempt to register/title in NC, my legal state of residence, next time I am up that way.

Thanks again -

Old September 4th, 2012, 06:43 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Success today... suggestion of providing copy of v5 worked.

When the lady provided me with a copy of the title application to check for errors, it said

"year: 2010 Fuel: G Engine: V8"

I had her change it... scouts honor and all. Also a dumb move on my part... my bill of sale had the proper sale price on it - which I had to pay almost 380 bucks in taxes on. I should have just had the bill of sale done up with like 1000 bucks as the sales price. Friggin sales tax on an item I bought from overseas (and paid taxes on to bring over)... really makes me want to move to the mountains and live off beets, potatoes and elk for the rest of my life.

Old September 4th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Congrats

BTW lots of states charge sales tax on a car regardless of where you bought it. Be careful when fudging the # on the B.O.S., that can come back to bite you in the arse. Curious what taxes you had to pay to bring the car over, I only had to pay some smalll dock fees and duty on the US side. SInce you appear to be military you should have got some reduction in the duty fees or so I seem to recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Success today... suggestion of providing copy of v5 worked.

When the lady provided me with a copy of the title application to check for errors, it said

"year: 2010 Fuel: G Engine: V8"

I had her change it... scouts honor and all. Also a dumb move on my part... my bill of sale had the proper sale price on it - which I had to pay almost 380 bucks in taxes on. I should have just had the bill of sale done up with like 1000 bucks as the sales price. Friggin sales tax on an item I bought from overseas (and paid taxes on to bring over)... really makes me want to move to the mountains and live off beets, potatoes and elk for the rest of my life.
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Congrats

BTW lots of states charge sales tax on a car regardless of where you bought it. Be careful when fudging the # on the B.O.S., that can come back to bite you in the arse. Curious what taxes you had to pay to bring the car over, I only had to pay some smalll dock fees and duty on the US side. SInce you appear to be military you should have got some reduction in the duty fees or so I seem to recall.
Good to know. My conscience wouldn't have allowed it anyway. I paid 2.5% when importing - I think it was a federal import/property tax.

Old September 4th, 2012, 07:35 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Congrats

How can it come back to hurt you, if it is a cash transaction, they can't prove it is anything other than what the bill of sale says, atleast that's how I have bought Series 3 and 4Runner with cash.

I know in CT on a fairly recent vehicle (within 10 years old) they don't look at the bill of sale to get a sale tax base, the look at what a kbb or nada or book like that for what you should amount you should pay taxes on. But they did the taxes off the bill of sale for my 4runner, and series.
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Friggin sales tax on an item I bought from overseas (and paid taxes on to bring over)... really makes me want to move to the mountains and live off beets, potatoes and elk for the rest of my life.
Amen to that....more than once Ive thought about loading my truck up and heading off into the hinterland to live like Jeremiah Johnson....it usually happens around April 15th....
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:09 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
How can it come back to hurt you, if it is a cash transaction, they can't prove it is anything other than what the bill of sale says, atleast that's how I have bought Series 3 and 4Runner with cash.
One way is the government employees sometimes read websites like this one.
We had a club member about 10 - 12 years ago bought a burned '93 110 and rebuilt it. In Georgia you can have it inspected by the State Patrol and get a title again. He said the Inspector looked at the truck (still on the trailer) and the first words were "Is this one of those CKD's that came in a few years ago?"
They pay more attention than we know.
My .02
Mike
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Am I the only one that has no idea what a CKD is? Chronic Kidney Disease? My trucks have Chronic 90W Leak Disease, so maybe C9LD?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:40 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Complete Knock Down
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

CDK is a Complete Knock-Down Kit... Land Rover used to sell a 110 Kit that you could buy and assemble yourself, to get around the Federal Regs.

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:44 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Aaaaahhh...got it. Cool.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:22 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
CDK is a Complete Knock-Down Kit... Land Rover used to sell a 110 Kit that you could buy and assemble yourself, to get around the Federal Regs.
Well, not here in the USA they didn't CKDs have never been available to US customers.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
roof