Bumper/Winch Set Up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM
Troy MacQuarrie
Bumper/Winch Set Up

Hello all. I am new here to this forum. Look forward to being part of a Defender forum. Currently have a D110 and am planning on fitting a new winch and was wondering what bumper and winch combo is everyone using and how do you like it? Is there anything you would change.

Old September 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Hi and Welcome!!
I have a safari guard bumper and X9 superwinch... I like the combo... it has always done me well... good approach angle and the winch pulls a heavly loaded 110 out of the mud just fine

Alot of people like the Warn winches, I like them too. relocate the control box for water it is worth it. I'd go with at 10k winch 9k at the least for your 110.

As far as bumpers go. decide if you want one that has a brush gruad (top part) or fust a buper. I like the look of just a bumper but if you drive around big rocks ever and don;t have surgical percision think about one with a brush guard as well. I have saved my body a bunch of times due to the upper part of the bumper... plus I hit a deer a last season and there was no damage except to the deer ... one piece is always better then two piece. I like the rockware design, I don't like the ARB.

Hope that helps

Old September 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Warn 8274 (Old used then rebuilt) in a custom winch cradle and reinforced stock bumper.

Picture Here

Not the prettiest, but strong, does not affect approach angle, leaves a flat bumper for jacking and is up out of the water (most of the time )
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Best things you can do to ease your decision making is search the site for the bumper/winch threads, and take a look at the d-90 owner bios. This should give you every bumper option imaginable.
Old September 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
97 D90 #1345
I have an ARB and a X9 on my 90 and i'd rather have a rockware bumper because of the approach and looks of it
2002 dodge 2500 CTD-blows some smoke
1997 LR D-90 ST
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:57 PM
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green
I have a Safari Gard and an X9 on my RR and had an ARB and a Warn XD9000 on the 90 with the control box mounted inside the seat box. Either winch is nice (as well as others) but I would probably go Rockware next time for a bumper. The ARB was fine but the Rockware has a better approach angle (as has been mentioned) and I prefer its looks over the SG.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Brian Love
Warn and a ARB on my Disco....Don't forget to upgrade teh front springs as well....it is all downhill from there....

Inspirational Thought of the Day

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

bumper, winch