Bullet resistant D2, best approach ? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:25 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

This isn't something where you can afford a mistake. I would buy something that was already armored. If you need protection, just do it right.
I really hope you don't need it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:54 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

There's a few other things you should think about before looking into this:

1. No power, the DII is just plain slow. Mine can barely get out of its own way. Not ideal in a get-away-from-here situation.

2. Reliability, it lacks it. Hopefully it starts and drives when you need it to.

3. Thickness, everything on the DII is quite thin. The doors are thin, the glass is really thin, everything is thin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:59 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
If you really think you will need this, then you must plan on more than "just a few 9mm rounds". Fiberglass and plexiglass etc etc. .?? I never heard of bulletproof fiberglass. You're asking for trouble here. Let an expert do it, or buy a used armored vehicle. Forget your Rover Love for a minute and do this right.

my 2 cents

~Steve
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2013, 08:05 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
buy a used armored vehicle. Forget your Rover Love for a minute and do it right.
x10 I think at this point. Rent or buy a used up-armored car/truck that was purpose built for this purpose. Sure it may not be as cheap as that wrap stuff that Neil posted, but do you really want to risk your wife/family's safety based on a product you learned about on YouTube?
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:43 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Guys, it's not like we have a huge market for armored vehicles here. Plus, I have to protect against a supposed threat but based on a known modus operandi, not very creative and not very professional either, at least in 9 of 10 similar cases. I would love to go overkill but my options are limited. There is one and one only business armoring vehicles, I'll check what they offer.
I don't think the D2 is a bad platform to go armored, of course you have better options, like US brands huge SUV where you get plenty room and plenty engine, but with a reliable 4.6 I think the D2 is a good compromise.
But, as far as I can read, nobody on the board has done this before.
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sounds like you have immediate needs. Building something takes too long.
You need to lease a vehicle.
Who did Safari HP get all their non armor parts from.

http://www.usedarmoredvehicle.com/list.php

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Your problem is your IIIa requirement.

Acrylic is ineffective against 9mm until you get into some seriously brick-thick stuff. Absolutely useless on a vehicle due to weight and bulk.

Polycarbonate won't stop 9mm until you get into 1" thick pieces. IIIa gets into 1.25-1.5" thick. I've shot right through half inch thick polycarbonate with .22 rounds. At IIIa thicknesses, the polycarbonate starts to lose its optical properties (its polycrystalline structure starts to create refractive smears and distortions) Not much use on a vehicle due to weight and bulk.

Bullet resistant glass is at least a three-layer laminate of polycarbonate and glass. The glass sandwiched in the laminate is what boosts the protective capability of the polycarbonate. You can defeat 9mm in less than an inch thick.

Fiberglass CAN be made into bullet resistant panels, but you need to use S2-glass panels that have been autoclaved. Class I - 1/4", Class II - 5/16", Class IIIa - 7/16" - cost - astronomical. Kevlar spall liner is also a good alternative. Cost is astronomical.

Then you will have to deal with armoring seams, edges, and corners of the vehicle.

It would probably be cheaper to move to Montana.
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
MDT in Auburn, AL produces armored 110's ......300 miles to Brunswick, GA port, short boat ride to DR......I'd hate to know how much one of those things cost, however.....
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A p38 would be much much better
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
A p38 would be much much better
More room to fill?
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:19 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
More room to fill?
I think door to door the p38 is more "bullet resistant" than the d2
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What about glass? Seems you'll get minor ballistic tolerance at most. I think armoring companies frequently lease their vehicles, so maybe if you only need it for a particular period that might be an idea.

Alternatively, try to find an older BMW 540iP or 740iP - the P is for Protection, they came from the factory with a certain level of ballistic tolerance, cant remember how much.
Actually the P is for POSER, nothing in that car will stop an attack, well maybe a knife

Mercedes did a series S600 ( think Princess Diana ) , but no protection at all.

Anything less than Level IV is a waist.

Not that I know anything about this... just read a lot
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post

Actually the P is for POSER, nothing in that car will stop an attack, well maybe a knife

Mercedes did a series S600 ( think Princess Diana ) , but no protection at all.

Anything less than Level IV is a waist.

Not that I know anything about this... just read a lot
Me either, I just talk to folks that read about this stuff online & have seen u tube videos of IEDs, 7.62x39 AP rounds smacking windows, etc....

In all seriousness, if your wife's life is something you feel comfortable strapping in a ghetto fabulous Home Depot version of an up armored Vic then proceed. Otherwise my brief comment about going Land Cruiser or Benz (G wagon) stands, unless your req doesn't necessitate SUV then consider the BMW line. If you can't afford real protection then I'd invest in better tactics (training, training, training) and the like before wasting time/effort on false comfort.
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:51 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I guess if this was a toyota camry forum, I'd get stuff like "dude, you need a big SUV like a Land Rover to do that, get yourself a Defender, that's a military grade vehicle". I'm not going to improvise gluing stuff and bolting panels without a clue, my first intention is to know if some board members has been dealing with armored related stuff with Land Rover vehicles, and it doesn't seem to be the case.
This is probably the reason I'm getting so many answers telling me to take the pro route, as this is not a familiar topic or field of expertise, at least in my case. But as I said before, I have one and one only workshop doing this stuff here, I think they're colombians, and the worst position for a customer is when you have to deal with a monopole. If a import something, even used, custom fees will rise the final cost by at least 160%, so I have to know more of this tech and it's cost and application and what better way than my fellow board members.
I don't think I need a bomb proof vehicle by tomorrow, but we are going to be in the heat for at least a year, so I do need to raise our passive protection by a couple of steps, and having a class IIIA bullet resistant vehicle would give us certain peace of mind.

Cheers
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Actually I do have experience with armored Rovers of various flavors, including time spent in them in Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan, and I honestly can't remember if it was more than passing admiration in a few other garden spots.

The reason I told you to go with a different model line incorporated that perspective, albeit without being explicit. Good luck however you roll.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM
bigkel162
Kelvin Nodarse
1995 county lwb

Registry
Manhattanarmor.com. He has a few 2012 range rover ready to go anywhere in the world armored up with plenty of extras.
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
X2 what Ray said. You can havve a high dollar armored vehicle and without proper training you will be just as dead. The only thing an armored car will do is buy you a little precious time during an attack. Prob seconds is all. Situational awareness/recognizing a threat, recation time and training, training, training are what will keep you alive - not just armor. Good luck.
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

This is interesting post. I run small fleets of armor in the Middle East & have been to the DR & Haiti. Many others here have said it best. this is NOT a DIY situation and the D2 is NOT the vehicle to do it in. If the threat is real, and you value your family, then like others here have said you need to buy a used piece of armor. If you can get the authorization to get an armored car into the DR there are two unused 1993 Ford Econoline B6 rated 6 passenger vehicles in Dubai/Sharjah airport modified by TRW for the US Air Force OSI that were never sent to Iraq. They just need to be transported and gotten running. They are not mine but the asking price was RIDONCULOUS less than a well used 1997 D90 nand a fraction of the $300,000 someone paid, then abandoned them. New builds can be found for as low as $60,000. Check the market in Mexico and Colombia. The Brits in southern Iraq used un armored D2s but never up-armored them and they were immediately pulled off the field because they vaporized in even the smallest attacks by small arms. But you can never get a hillbilly mod to stop a pistol round much less a rifle - you'll just die regretting the money you didn't spend. As for the capability and brains of the shooters, even the dumbest box of rocks can apply enough cleverness to close the range and kill his target. never underestimate the determination of a threat paid in dollars.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Don't know if you still need one, but here is one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-O...item33833849e4
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

So it's definitely doable on a D2, if I could buy all panels and glass and keep my chassis and engine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac