Bulkheads rust proofing measures... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:06 AM
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...
Bulkheads rust proofing measures...

Ok In my near obsessive level of reading lately, along with talking to others I have discovered that there is a LARGE danger in galvanizing the bulkhead. Apparently it is a serious roll of the dice to galvanize one and have it come out straight...

A frame is apparently straight forward but the bulkhead can warp. It was suggested to build a metal frame around it for the dipping to help but even that is not a guarantee.

Soooo I was wondering, once assembled how much rubbing against the rest of the body occurs during driving? The reason I ask is I am wondering about powder coating AND I have yet another idea.

There is a product called gunkote.

It is a Spray on bake on coating originally designed to coat the inside of oil pipe lines and then adapted to firearms. It is a Moly coating that is litterely baked (300 degrees for 1 Hour) into the surface of the parent metal. On firearms once you apply it the only way to get it off is sandblast. My thought here is to use the gunkote as a primer and first line corrosion barrier. A powder coating facility could apply it and bake it, then go over it again with powder coating.

So what does anyone think of that as a possible alternative to galvanizing the bulkhead?

Old January 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi
I have galvanized tow of them to now with both minimal warping. The only thing to remember is to have the properly repaired and prepped before.

Once it is done you will require some force to put the two long bolts that hold the bottom of the bulkhead to the frame. Both of mine were off by 1/4 to 1/2 inch and just had a couple of guys to pull on it to get the holes aligned properly.

I would not hesitate to do it again if I had to. Once galvanized you are done for a very very very long long long time !

My .02$

" You never, ever, ever go full retard ! "

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat