Building a rear swing away tire carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Building a rear swing away tire carrier

Has anyone built a swing away tire carrier? How did it turn out and was it worth the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Jason you really need to learn how to use the search function on this forum. It gets you answers so much quicker.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Horsey,

Why are you such a douche to the new people. Have you ever thought that this guy might not be computer savy or he doesn't spend all his time on the board like you or I. It was less than five minutes ago you bought your shitbox and became an expert on searching. Ease up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Horsey,

Why are you such a douche to the new people. Have you ever thought that this guy might not be computer savy or he doesn't spend all his time on the board like you or I. It was less than five minutes ago you bought your shitbox and became an expert on searching. Ease up.
Because if people don't search prior to posting you get a page full of "What size tire can I fit with 2" RTE springs" type questions. Lame.

As for a tire rack, just buy one. It's cheaper than building one.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What size tires can you fit with a 2" RTE springs? Its not like people are doing this everyday. Oh well
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Look up Oliver Whiting on this board. He just started up a business and one of the items he makes is a swing away tire carrier.
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Let me start by saying I apologize profusely for wasting that 30 seconds of your life it took to read and respond to my post. I understand you will never get that time back. My question, in the misc chi chat section, was asking the opinion of someone who has actualy built a tire carrier so if you haven't and you don't like my post, move on. I would rather build one from scratch but if it is a huge PITA I will just buy one, as some of you know it is very satisfying to have parts on your truck you built yourself BTW, I did a search and did not see the answer to my question
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=26489&page=2
Check out this thread. Martin did a great job on his tire carrier.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I am considering building one myself and I think it would be nice to see some homebrew ideas. I don't have a tube bender so I am considering using some 1.25" square tube that I have laying around the shop. I'm not sure where to mount it on the tub. Also it seems that some swing away from the door while some swing with the door. Any opinions on what works better?

Thanks
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Jay-Z / Hova, no disrespect; it's sound advice. You will learn a hell of a lot more by searching around and reading up on fringe subjects to your needs than starting an opinion thread that has already been covered in depth. Just advice. If you need help searching, start a new thread on how to search efficiently and I'll respond there.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=12979
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Horsey

You are correct it is sound advice, but your delivery was snide. Since you love to post to every thread, you could have helped a brother out and posted the links instead of the nonsense where you pretend you are the forum police and know everything. Yes, I post to everything too but only because you give me the fuel. You complete me ...

Jason,

Awesome response
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Jay, I built one for my RRC. Used a trailer axle stub for the pivot, and it was mounted to a home-brew steel bumper strictly by the pivot (welded on). Probably cost $100 in materials, but I had the use of a friend's shop and his welding skills. It carried a 32" tire around through all kinds of off road beating without any problems.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Moderators,
Can we move this thread to the Plumbers Snorkel thread on EE?

Thanks.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

i will buy Josh, and Barry a room so they can do whatever comes natural from this long time pent up emotions they have towards one another. I'm guessing some village people moments.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

No need. Maybe down in the Carolinas the bookaki comes naturally, but in NYC and LA we rather just mock each other.

Horsey got the point and shut his Horse trap.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
When I build mine soon, I'll be galvanizing it. It's never been discussed on the board before, so if I want to cover the galv with paint or powdercoat what is the best practice and is it worth it?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
No need. Maybe down in the Carolinas the bookaki comes naturally, but in NYC and LA we rather just mock each other.

Horsey got the point and shut his Horse trap.
well for the other 48 states, and 9 countries represented the shit gets old. I think Josh is a good dude, and you are always there to talk shit, put him down and nag and banter. That maybe the way you do it in LA, but in NC you'd get your ass kicked for it.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I never said Josh wasn't a good dude. I think the key was banter. It's all in good fun and Josh knows he was being a dick. I would quit with the ass kicking shit, it just makes you sound like a redneck and if asses were going to be kicked for shit on this board I would be more concerned for yourself and your practices than my height jokes and nonsense regarding Horsey.

------ Follow up post added June 22nd, 2011 07:46 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
When I build mine soon, I'll be galvanizing it. It's never been discussed on the board before, so if I want to cover the galv with paint or powdercoat what is the best practice and is it worth it?
If I was in NJ I would definitely galvanize it first and then powdercoat it. It will last forever especially for when you drive behind salt trucks.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
There is a thread somewhere about painting or coating on top of galva, but it was about axles or chassis. Useful anyway.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
I never said Josh wasn't a good dude. I think the key was banter. It's all in good fun and Josh knows he was being a dick. I would quit with the ass kicking shit, it just makes you sound like a redneck and if asses were going to be kicked for shit on this board I would be more concerned for yourself and your practices than my height jokes and nonsense regarding Horsey.
Now you've misread, I never said I would kick your ass, I said that's how it is handled down here, think I'm wrong just ask around that's not a stereotype more the truth. Once or twice is fine but after years it will piss a guy off.
Also I'm not from NC so you are trying to take generalities and assign them incorrectly.

Furthermore it is a common gripe people have of you constantly harassing Josh. It comes up regularly on conversations at rallys, phone calls in public, its old just get over it to you it might be fun little banter, but the crap pollutes a majority of the threads on CVC's site and it is tired move on already, quit riding the poor boy.

as to not mess up Jason's thread more I'm out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier, wing