Building a Defender - What's the true cost? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Building a Defender - What's the true cost?

I'm not actually considering this now (at least), but I saw copley selling the 110 hi-cap built by ECR. The ad said the build cost was $125k. That sounds a bit much, but that's about right for custom cars I think.

Assuming a mainly stock rig, has anyone priced out building their own? I've seen the pieces RDS will get, and I get the feeling you could do it for half, if not better.
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can realistically build a Defender for 25-40k depending on how bling you want it to be and depending on how you source the parts. If you go used for as much as possible, you may be able to drive the cost below the 25 figure. If you go new with all major parts and mods, you'll easily bust the 40k figure.

ECR's 125k figure surely must include the cost of the donor 110, all the fastidious labor they put in, and have none of the excess 110 SW parts deducted from the total.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I called ECR because I was curious and they said I had to have my own LR to start, didn't matter what kind. It was $125K with a totalled 109 or $125K with my 90. They also said they wouldn't put some options in, they were building strictly work vehicles (no heated seats or power anything). I thought that was cool. Either way it's a 3 year waiting list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:22 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

30K for a very nice TDI 110 if you do the work your self and $25K for pickup. Off course you gotta add +/- to those figures. I was thinking about building one a year ago and that was the price. There was a rolling chassis at Rover Tracks for $2500 and the rest from RDS. I talked to George and those were the figures.

Right now I'm thinking about rebuilding one of the 90's we have to a D110 and I'm hoping to do it under $10K with the TDI.
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Given the high prices people are willing to pay, you would think someone would put together a land rover kit car.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:23 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Given the high prices people are willing to pay, you would think someone would put together a land rover kit car.
Ture, but how are going to title the truck?
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Someone else may know the exact term for it, but there is a classification for kit cars and the like. Think of all the mg and cobra look alikes running around, or custom fabricated hot rods. Like everything else it probably varies from state to state.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Someone else may know the exact term for it, but there is a classification for kit cars and the like. Think of all the mg and cobra look alikes running around, or custom fabricated hot rods. Like everything else it probably varies from state to state.
I thought kit cars need a donor? The donor in those cases is already dot certified - not so w/ defender. I think thats the way it works. ?
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Special Construction may be the term you're looking for. I don't think it requires a donor.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Kit car, special construction, etc - all these terms have very precise meanings and they differ from jurisidiction to jurisdiction. Some people in Texas legally modify Series Rovers into Defenders by doing the proper paperwork to swap out each major subcomponent - thats not practical in some areas. Some people's areas allow you to assemble your own D out of parts as a Specially Constructed Vehicle, some areas have limitations which prevent that route. Some complete kit cars come with MSO's (manufacturers statement of origin) and some are titled as the donor vehicle. The key is research.

This was a cost thread, so I wanted to nip the titling topic in the bud since it has come up so very many times.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
Either way it's a 3 year waiting list.
I hope that everyone realizes that in three years (2008) you can go buy any 1983 Land Rover 110 you want and legally import it. Why on earth would you spend over $100,000 just to get a "utility" version from ECR when you can get one for $2600 plus shipping ?
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:06 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
I hope that everyone realizes that in three years (2008) you can go buy any 1983 Land Rover 110 you want and legally import it. Why on earth would you spend over $100,000 just to get a "utility" version from ECR when you can get one for $2600 plus shipping ?
WELL SAID!

That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing come 2008...
Buy a 110 just like the eBay one you posted, buy a 2.8 TGV, then 'redo whatcha gotta redo', and paint her willow green. Even if I have to ship it somewhere to have the engine put in, I don't even think I'd be at $20k... with a REAL VIN.

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

In VA a kit car can be built from anything (i.e. no donor needed) but it may be more difficult for you westerners or northerners.
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Hold out to 2008.
If you do not think the Brit.s are just waiting to have units ready, you are fooling yourself. Within a year, there should be ads up in mags about bringing vehicles into the US.
BUT ONE THING...
I disagree with Robert's comment made on may 10thon what people will pay for a D90. Sure, there are a few units going for $40k+ but look at this website. More than a half dozen nice d90s and they are not moving. A quick search and I found two dozen for sales. Had a chat with a kid yesteday would love a Defender but $10k max to spend. That is the market factor. everyone would like a 10 yr old D90 with 1500 miles in stock, perfect condition. If not, it would seem to me to be a buyers and not a sellers market.

As to the import - am I ahead of the curve and just given someone the base for a money making idea??
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:54 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Remember, They will be RHD there too. Its not cheap to convertbut very possible. 2008 will be a good time to buy one for the major componants and then build a nice 110.. I have not added up what I spent on my truck but if I wanted to make it basically stock, it would have been a lot cheaper but I would not trade the Tdi for anything
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think 2008 will be a great time to RESTORE a tired 110. Sure you can bring one in easily at that point, but the 1983 production vehicles were not initally produced with all the goodies we desire in the US. So even if you find a truck that doesnt need major cosmetic/chassis/drivetrain work, you'll still be taking your pick of 2.5 NA diesel, 4 Cyl petrol, or carb'd V8 or spending the $ to convert to Tdi. Certainly, some will be coming in, but I'm certain it will not have even the slightest affect on NAS values.

None of that should be taken as an endorsement to spending 125k on a Hi Cap pickup.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:56 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Randy... You are a smart man... I totally forgot that they will be RHD... DAMN!!!
And you know, I really thought about it... as much as I'd like a 110, I really want an Arles Blue NAS D90 Soft Top... (Yes Mike I'm coming after yours one day !! )
So... I guess I'll just wait for one that's in a fire or engine blown, so I can purchase it fairly cheap then put the 2.8 I want in it.

The search changes... daily.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:14 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

No they will not. I may be wrong but I though LR exported lots of vehicle to the mainland and those are all lefties, mas non mon fil? The French are challenged* as is so the cars must be like ours here.

* I used to live in France, and as such feel I may poke fun at the French without starting a national debate or brie tossing debacle.
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:12 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yes, you can look for Euro trucks and non UK trucks since the UK stuff us RSD. Some places in the UK have LSD trucks for sale too but I bet the prices will go up in 2008.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat