Buddies along the route... Charleston, SC to Benning - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Wild_Irish_Rougue
Status: Offline
Richard Manitoba
2012 Defender 90/1985 Defender (RIP
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Milton, Vermont, USA
Posts: 34
Smile

Say hi to Sgt. Airborne for me, and The House of Pain (Sand Hill).
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,501
Registry
OK we get it. Since you already have it as part of your tag, clearly you are going thru with it.
Do you hear any of us bitching about how much all this sh*t costs? We know. If it were a cheap hobby everyone would have a Land Rover.
It's not all one sided. From your own story, it would seem you were a day late and a dollar short. Now get it home and start living with it. In a very short while all this bitterness will be forgotten for some other bitterness. It never ends. The misery is only occasionally punctuated with moments of pure bliss.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Ragland's Avatar
Ragland
Status: Offline
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 646
If that happened in Louisiana I would assume the wash company went around with $100 bills and found some projects courtesy "over zealous" agents.
__________________
"Uhh...I think they all leak like that."
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #44  
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Do you hear any of us bitching about how much all this sh*t costs? We know. If it were a cheap hobby everyone would have a Land Rover.
It's not all one sided. From your own story, it would seem you were a day late and a dollar short. Now get it home and start living with it. In a very short while all this bitterness will be forgotten for some other bitterness. It never ends. The misery is only occasionally punctuated with moments of pure bliss.
Wow, thanks Bill! Thanks for your input. SUPER helpful and really shows the true strength of your character.

For the record - I don't post this here because I want to 'bitch'. Its because, in theory, lessons learned from my dealings with the port can potentially prevent it from happening to someone else. If this doesn't apply to you, you retain the right to not post about it or read it. Likewise, you retain the right to post unproductive, negative and scathing remarks directed at someone you don't know. Either way, I'll keep on posting updates on this thread under the assumption that sometime in the future someone will be able to sift through the white noise you are bringing to the fight, and pull something useful from this thread when they are considering importing to Charleston or are in a similar predicament.

Have a good one!
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I don't post this here because I want to 'bitch'. Its because, in theory, lessons learned from my dealings with the port can potentially prevent it from happening to someone else.
Couldn't agree more - your experience and the extra research you've done since can benefit someone down the line.

Bill bitched about his Range Rover "going up in flames" in a tiny fire, so don't listen to him. Come to think of it, I don't think he ever told us the cause in of the fire in the end.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,501
Registry
Quote:
Wow, thanks Bill! Thanks for your input. SUPER helpful and really shows the true strength of your character.
Yah the Army made me a tough SOB!
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,624
Registry
What made you a cranky old man then?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,501
Registry
Sorry frustrating day
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Abrooks's Avatar
Abrooks
Status: Online
Tony Brooks
.
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Sorry frustrating day
Imagine what Dave's day has been like.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Bill is cranky, but he is a softy at heart. Don't take it personally.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:54 PM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
lol...thread regression at work again. Don't you all know, this is the kindler, gentler, Army now folks. Get with it.

Offer still stands Dave. If you can find someone to pick up your D and store it for a few weeks, I could take you up to Charleston early on the 19th of August and drop you off. It may or may not be cheaper than having an unknown trailer it down.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old August 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
lol...thread regression at work again. Don't you all know, this is the kindler, gentler, Army now folks. Get with it.

Offer still stands Dave. If you can find someone to pick up your D and store it for a few weeks, I could take you up to Charleston early on the 19th of August and drop you off. It may or may not be cheaper than having an unknown trailer it down.
Kindler, gentler Army in the soft-skilled MOS' for sure. And, unfortunately, the Maneuver community is quickly losing the battle as well. I am going to guess that we have females at Ranger School in 2 years, and in the Infantry & Armor in 5 or less. That being said, I've worked with plenty of females in Combat who would put the average teary-eyed, soft-bodied Private we've received in the last few years to shame. There are still some good ones coming out of the school house, but for the most part the quality has dropped. If boys were still raised to be men, spent time outside once in a while and played team sports growing up instead of playing Airsoft and xBox then we might not have such a hard time building warriors. But I digress...

Thank you very much for the offer - but right now I'm trying to avoid risk as much as possible since apparently my luck has run out for the time being. Driving it home originally sounded feasible, but right now it just seems like asking for my engine to blow up or my wheels to fall off.

Thanks again though for your generosity. Still planning on a meet-up soon - work is crazy but should be easing up in a couple of weeks here. Depending on how she runs I'd be down for a 2-3 hour jaunt away for a day of light wheelin'. Not sure if any trails are that close to our area.
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old August 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
The local LR club has their annual event on Sept 14-16 in the N. GA mountains... www.solaros.com
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:09 PM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
The local LR club has their annual event on Sept 14-16 in the N. GA mountains... www.solaros.com
I'm going to be up in Knoxville for the Vols/Gators game on the 15th. I don't know if it would be worth driving up the old girl for two half days, though I'd love to attend.

The last time I was in the north Georgia mountains, I was getting my rear end smoked by bad men in black shirts and I stopped making fun of the lack of elevation in Georgia...

------ Follow up post added August 7th, 2012 06:17 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Kindler, gentler Army in the soft-skilled MOS' for sure. And, unfortunately, the Maneuver community is quickly losing the battle as well. I am going to guess that we have females at Ranger School in 2 years, and in the Infantry & Armor in 5 or less. That being said, I've worked with plenty of females in Combat who would put the average teary-eyed, soft-bodied Private we've received in the last few years to shame. There are still some good ones coming out of the school house, but for the most part the quality has dropped. If boys were still raised to be men, spent time outside once in a while and played team sports growing up instead of playing Airsoft and xBox then we might not have such a hard time building warriors. But I digress...

Thank you very much for the offer - but right now I'm trying to avoid risk as much as possible since apparently my luck has run out for the time being. Driving it home originally sounded feasible, but right now it just seems like asking for my engine to blow up or my wheels to fall off.

Thanks again though for your generosity. Still planning on a meet-up soon - work is crazy but should be easing up in a couple of weeks here. Depending on how she runs I'd be down for a 2-3 hour jaunt away for a day of light wheelin'. Not sure if any trails are that close to our area.
So let me get this straight... You're a combat arms veteran who is purchasing a leaky tub sight unseen from the motherland and you're saying you're risk adverse?

To make you feel better, I have it on good authority that 10 females are about to start IBOLC. They are already branch qualified in their respective soft skill branches, but all volunteered to try this pilot program. The standards were lessened the last few cycles as 2-11 prepared for the females. These 10 will not be blue corded, but it will happen. And soon. And I'm sure rAnger School is next. If I was a tax paying citizen (which I guess is less than half this country now), I'd call up your congressman and voice your concern.

As far as trails, I'm told that none exist here. Probably the closest would be North Georgia. We need to find a good time to link up with Scott and company.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
To make you feel better, I have it on good authority that 10 females are about to start IBOLC. They are already branch qualified in their respective soft skill branches, but all volunteered to try this pilot program. The standards were lessened the last few cycles as 2-11 prepared for the females. These 10 will not be blue corded, but it will happen. And soon. And I'm sure rAnger School is next.
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I heard a certain reputable man (with a bird on his chest who may or may not work on that big building on post behind the flag pole) get approached about this in a Q&A. A Ranger asked if females would be going to Ranger school anytime soon - because he had heard a nasty rumor. The boss answered the guy by asking if he had an issue with females attending, and why. Of course, the Ranger answered that it is because (among other things) he didn't want to see the standards lowered and the tab watered down. The boss replied that they wouldn't necessarily "lower" the standards of Ranger school, but instead "modify them" so that they are more practical and apply to the requisite tasks. He used Airborne as an example... they used to require 10x unassisted pullups because it simulated pulling your risers to your chest. They weren't graduating (or even starting) many females as a result. So 'they' did a study that showed that women who couldn't do the pullups could in fact actually pull their risers... So, they "modified" the standards to be more "task appropriate". One brave soul raised his hand and said "So...then you lowered the standard."

Its a losing battle. Apparently there is a women's rights lobby who is pushing for all of this in Congress... all for the sake of equal opportunity in a federal workplace, but without even doing the research or really caring what the 2nd and 3rd order effects are.

And all this bitterness is coming from a guy who has fought for the last 5 years just to get a slot to the damn school. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I was already RQ'd. I already have to fight Chemical officers and Field Artillery Guys for slots... I think if they opened it up to females I'd just throw in the hat and say its for the birds.
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
So let me get this straight... You're a combat arms veteran who is purchasing a leaky tub sight unseen from the motherland and you're saying you're risk adverse?
No, no, no... recently and temporarily risk averse. Think of me as a guy who got blown up like 3 times in the last week and took a couple rounds in the SAPI to boot. I really just want to watch the radios for a couple of days. That, or go out and get sweet angry vengeance but that's definitely not an option for this one...

See awesome meme, too bad they got the name wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9541838.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	55365  
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:59 PM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
Exactamundo. To fire up everyone else.... Hope you all sleep well at night knowing your lightfighters and special operations forces are starting to integrate females who cannot meet the current, set, and established standards, all for the sake of political correctness.

Feminization is going to lead to our demise..... I'm going to go ahead and blame your Rover troubles on it too.

I've got one of my guys in Darby right now, another about to start. I can't believe you can't get a slot even on Harmony Church. I thought we were the "Maneuver" Center of Excellence now, not the "Home of the Infantry...." I think the Armor boys post MCCC could slot to Ranger with no issue while still at Benning, last year anyway.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I heard a certain reputable man (with a bird on his chest who may or may not work on that big building on post behind the flag pole) get approached about this in a Q&A. A Ranger asked if females would be going to Ranger school anytime soon - because he had heard a nasty rumor. The boss answered the guy by asking if he had an issue with females attending, and why. Of course, the Ranger answered that it is because (among other things) he didn't want to see the standards lowered and the tab watered down. The boss replied that they wouldn't necessarily "lower" the standards of Ranger school, but instead "modify them" so that they are more practical and apply to the requisite tasks. He used Airborne as an example... they used to require 10x unassisted pullups because it simulated pulling your risers to your chest. They weren't graduating (or even starting) many females as a result. So 'they' did a study that showed that women who couldn't do the pullups could in fact actually pull their risers... So, they "modified" the standards to be more "task appropriate". One brave soul raised his hand and said "So...then you lowered the standard."

Its a losing battle. Apparently there is a women's rights lobby who is pushing for all of this in Congress... all for the sake of equal opportunity in a federal workplace, but without even doing the research or really caring what the 2nd and 3rd order effects are.

And all this bitterness is coming from a guy who has fought for the last 5 years just to get a slot to the damn school. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I was already RQ'd. I already have to fight Chemical officers and Field Artillery Guys for slots... I think if they opened it up to females I'd just throw in the hat and say its for the birds.
------ Follow up post added August 7th, 2012 08:03 PM ------

The RI's use to come into the patrol base in Dahlonega and tell us that the first female had started Darby Phase. Every time, three or four poor disoriented, half-dead guys would swear, throw whatever they had in their hand, and quit on the spot. Then the RI's would laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

Now, it's starting to look more like it will come true.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:23 PM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I think the Armor boys post MCCC could slot to Ranger with no issue while still at Benning, last year anyway.
And that is me... our MCCC class ends 9 NOV and it looks like I'll head to Ranger on 4 NOV before the official graduation itself. That's is, if branch pulls through. The branch chief looked me in the face and said I would go, so I'm going to count on it. Then again, I've been told this two other times in the last number of years.

I've been on Kelley Hill in 1-15 IN since 08' - OPTEMPO never allowed it and I never saw an Armor officer with a tab the entire time I was there. In fact, only about 2/3 of Infantry Officers there were RQ'd.
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
Like they say, if you don't have it on paper.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
And that is me... our MCCC class ends 9 NOV and it looks like I'll head to Ranger on 4 NOV before the official graduation itself. That's is, if branch pulls through. The branch chief looked me in the face and said I would go, so I'm going to count on it. Then again, I've been told this two other times in the last number of years.

I've been on Kelley Hill in 1-15 IN since 08' - OPTEMPO never allowed it and I never saw an Armor officer with a tab the entire time I was there. In fact, only about 2/3 of Infantry Officers there were RQ'd.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:48 PM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
And that is me... our MCCC class ends 9 NOV and it looks like I'll head to Ranger on 4 NOV before the official graduation itself. That's is, if branch pulls through. The branch chief looked me in the face and said I would go, so I'm going to count on it. Then again, I've been told this two other times in the last number of years.

I've been on Kelley Hill in 1-15 IN since 08' - OPTEMPO never allowed it and I never saw an Armor officer with a tab the entire time I was there. In fact, only about 2/3 of Infantry Officers there were RQ'd.
What I thought we were talking about a Land Rover.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RURR - Charleston, SC to DC Wolf Fabrication Misc. Chit-Chat 0 January 11th, 2012 11:52 AM
How does everyone route their winch cables JackW Defender Technical Discussions 10 September 12th, 2008 11:15 AM
Best Route during Summer from Boston to Virginia 1of40 Defender Technical Discussions 5 June 16th, 2005 03:40 PM
Cheapest route? BradforD90 Misc. Chit-Chat 0 February 8th, 2005 08:03 PM
Was that You? Red 130 N/B route 89 AZ nickt Misc. Chit-Chat 4 May 3rd, 2004 07:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Copyright