Buddies along the route... Charleston, SC to Benning - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 4th, 2012, 08:47 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Truly sucks! And they say Gov't is here to help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
To be clear this is an individual being over zelous. This has nothing with it being Charleston or Baltimore or Tacoma Washington. This was not even a vehicle that should have been looked @. This wasn't pending business on the mans desk or anyone elses for that matter.

Anyone on this board in the Charleston area that could help out by picking it up for Dave ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
People (govn't workers for that matter) wonder why civilians throw bombs into government buildings. I had something similar happen to me in Spain with Spanish customs when I brought in an engagement ring to propose to my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi

Anyone on this board in the Charleston area that could help out by picking it up for Dave ?
Doug I have family in charleston whom I am sure I could convince to help if needed. Call me if no-one else steps up.
Old August 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I can put you in touch with a friend down there that is a rover driver any usually up for a adventure. Let me know if you want me to provide introductions.
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thanks for the help folks - right now I have a shipping proposal up for bid on uShip.com in hopes that I can get someone on there to pick it up on a trailer and bring it to GA. There are lots of reputable shippers looking for business on there that I'd trust to pick up the truck and move it. I'd like to try to fly again but I don't think I'll get another Friday off.

http://www.uship.com/shipment/1986-L...SUV/390107119/

Thanks again - Dave

Old August 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I had a great experience with uShip.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Did you at least ghetto see the truck? How dirty was it?

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:58 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Did you at least ghetto see the truck? How dirty was it?
I was allowed to see the truck for about 2 minutes. The exterior was spotless, the tires looked new they were so clean. The interior was clean and I was able to pull up the drivers side floor mat to see no dirt. The undercarriage looked as though it could have been driven across a rainy parking lot. There was a fine film of sand/grit on the undercarriage - when I say fine I mean like a recently cleaned vehicle that has been driven once in rainy weather - truly no issues at least by my standards.

I wasn't allowed to take photos - and was stopped short of much more than a 2-3 minute inspection. I wish I could have at least got a picture of the 'quarantine' sticker!

Old August 5th, 2012, 10:30 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I wonder their reason for prohibiting photos. What a bunch of assholes.

-Jeff
"Absolute power corrupts absolutely"
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:40 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I wonder their reason for prohibiting photos. What a bunch of assholes.

-Jeff
It's a port - photos aren't allowed basically anywhere a Port Authority exists. I got in trouble once for taking a photo at a toll booth!
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:57 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Know we are in Florida but if you need anything we are more than happy to assist. We have a duelley and a trailer and can store the truck here as long as needed if you need us to go and pick the truck up or something.

I'm supposed to be a Polk this week but that mission has been pushed to the right. If we can do anyhting to help out please let us know.

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Update:

I spoke directly with the company who handles the steam cleaning this morning. I put on my A-game 'nice guy' voice and manners and pretty much pleaded for some reason in the pricing. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice and I believe he was honest. He explained the process to me in depth and I genuinely believe that they probably don't turn much more than 25% profit in this process.

What the 'cleaning entails':
- Vehicle is cleaned on site (since USDA won't let it roll)... it is pulled onto a sort of tarp with buffers on it to collect water and that evil british dirt.
- Steam cleaned - specific temperature, specific water pressure... per the USDA's regulation
- Water and dirt are collected in barrels and sealed per USDA's regulation. I imagine they have 'BIOHAZARD' written all over them
- Barrels are transported (in a USDA approved shipping company truck) to a location where they will be incenerated/dumped in accordance with USDA regulation

Bottom line is two contracts are used to complete this ridiculous task. Now, there is obviously room for skimming/skipping. By this I mean that the steam cleaning takes place and the evil dirt is packed up and then the USDA turns the other way and the dirt/water is dumped in the ocean 30 meters away. Who knows.

I am going to pay and have it done today. What remains is understanding why I would pay 1/3rd this much up in Baltimore. I can only presume that the Charleston USDA officials are either incredibly anal or incredibly backwards... or both. I keep looking for a loophole to exploit in court - but there isn't one. I can't take the Fed gov't to court for their regs and I can't take the cleaning company even though they have no competition. They have their books and I'm sure can justify the amount they charge without it appearing like 'unfair business practices'.

Good God I hope this truck is solid.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2012 11:35 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariHP View Post
Know we are in Florida but if you need anything we are more than happy to assist. We have a duelley and a trailer and can store the truck here as long as needed if you need us to go and pick the truck up or something.

I'm supposed to be a Polk this week but that mission has been pushed to the right. If we can do anyhting to help out please let us know.
Thanks! Looks for now like I'll use an independent shipper... though I REALLY appreciate the offer for help.

Unfortunately for you guys you have a dog in this fight too... because this $2500 down the drain is going to significantly delay the purchase of a roll cage and rack from ya'll . Bummer.

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Having been a Fed I can tell you that calls from Congressmen make things happen, you may consider calling the office of your rep on the Hill and explain 1. your service to your country and 2. the double jeapordy in which you find yourself. I suspect that your loophole may be that it was already cleared.

Honorable Sanford Bishop
Phone: (202) 225-3631 (they're in recess but there will still be staff in the office, start here)
Phone: (706) 320-9477 (in Columbus)
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Having been a Fed I can tell you that calls from Congressmen make things happen, you may consider calling the office of your rep on the Hill and explain 1. your service to your country and 2. the double jeapordy in which you find yourself. I suspect that your loophole may be that it was already cleared.

Honorable Sanford Bishop
Phone: (202) 225-3631 (they're in recess but there will still be staff in the office, start here)
Phone: (706) 320-9477 (in Columbus)
This is encouraging... My issue is that the Emergency Action Notice (not even provided by the CBP until I had already left Charleston) requires action (crush, re-export, clean) within 72 hours. That's today.

Something tells me that working with the good Congressman won't be quick... and once this civilian company is paid and the service is completed there won't be any getting the money back even if the USDA is put in their place.

Advice?

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Advice?
Roll back up there in a tank and offer some gentle persuasion. or
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
This is encouraging... My issue is that the Emergency Action Notice (not even provided by the CBP until I had already left Charleston) requires action (crush, re-export, clean) within 72 hours. That's today.

Something tells me that working with the good Congressman won't be quick... and once this civilian company is paid and the service is completed there won't be any getting the money back even if the USDA is put in their place.

Advice?
My advice is to enlist his help regardless. At best you may get some money back, at worst the "inspector" may get re-educated so that this doesn't happen to the next poor bastard bringing in a truck through Charleston.
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thank you.

I dug up the regulation which these guys operate under. If the regulations that told me how to do my job were written like this (like lawyer speak) then I would absolutely fail this country.
Quote:
a) Procedures to prevent pest dissemination. Whenever inspection of any means of conveyance, stores, baggage, mail, plants, plant products, earth, stone and quarry products, garbage, or other products or articles of any character whatsoever, arriving in the United States from a place outside thereof, or moving interstate, discloses a plant pest, or provides a reason to believe such a pest is present (other than one moving under permit in accordance with any conditions in the permit and the provisions in this part) which is new to, or not theretofore known to be widely prevalent or distributed within and throughout the United States, the inspector shall employ procedures necessary to prevent the dissemination of the plant pest. Such procedures shall also be employed with respect to means of conveyance or products or articles of any character whatsoever which have moved into the United States or interstate and which the inspector has reason to believe were infested or infected by or contained any such plant pest at the time of such movement. The inspector may follow administrative instructions containing procedures prescribed for certain situations, or he may follow a procedure selected by him from administratively approved methods known to be effective. The procedure may involve seizure, quarantine, treatment in accordance with part 305 of this chapter, application of other remedial measures, exportation, return to shipping point of origin, destruction, or other disposal, but no means of conveyance, product, article, or plant pest owned by any person shall be destroyed, exported, or returned to shipping point of origin or ordered to be so handled, unless there is, in the opinion of the inspector, no less drastic action adequate to prevent the dissemination of the plant pest. In forming such an opinion that no less drastic action is adequate, the inspector shall be guided by applicable specific and general instructions received from officers of the Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs. In taking action with respect to any means of conveyance, product, article, plant pest, the inspector shall take cognizance of applicable requirements of the customs and postal laws and regulations.

(b) Orders for remedial measures. The inspector may order the owner of any means of conveyance, product, article, or plant pest, subject to disposal under paragraph (a) of this section, to treat, apply other remedial measures, destroy, or make other disposal thereof without cost to the Federal Government and in a manner specified in accordance with paragraph (a) of this section.
Underline #1: The inspector only needs a 'reason to believe'. Soil, which is defined elsewhere in the regulation, is prohibited and is sufficient 'reason to believe'. What it doesn't say but implies is that the process is completely subjective. When we redeploy from a combat theater we have every piece of equipment, box, container, vehicle, bag inspected by these cats (in country). They at least gave us an objective measurement: more than a quarter-sized amount of dirt. In other words, the TAT box I'm loading up or the duffel bag I'm bringing home can't have more than a soda cap worth of sand. And this is coming from the desert.

Underline #2: The inspector can chose what he thinks needs to be done to resolve the issue.

Bottom line: The first inspectors saw dirt (most likely) but did not have 'reason to believe' it contained plant pests/contaminants. They chose to do nothing. The next guy saw dirt and had a 'reason to believe' that there were contaminants/plant pest and the only cure for his fever was more cowbell.

What I need to figure out is if there is CBP/USDA paperwork that clears the vehicle on a certain date - and if in fact this somehow limits the jurisdiction of the USDA once that is completed. If not, its like I explained to a buddy today: If I'm speeding along HWY 185 tonight and pass a cop who waves me by, then 2 miles down the road I pass another cop who decides to pull me over then I can't say "but that guy back there didn't pull me"... however, if the first cop pulls me, lets me off with a warning and then the next guy pulls me because he saw me speeding in the same spot - then I've got a case against him.

Old August 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

If this dipshit saw my truck at the dock, it would have been crushed...not only did I have apples in the bed, it had empty water bottles behind the seats and enough mud on the frame to fill a 5 gallon bucket

I'd make a call and talk to his boss...
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:32 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Update:

My letter to the Representative has been drafted, but today in an attempt to pay I identified another form of extortion, but this time at the State level...

The Feds quarantine the truck and require you to use an outside party to take the appropriate action. Then the State Port Authority charges a '30% Tariff' for any outside business doing work in the port. So, that outside business (the cleaning company) charges me the 30% Tariff.

What I am curious about is if the Tariff is charged to the outside company for doing the work, or if it is charged to the individual requiring the work. If it is charged to the outside company for doing work in the port, then I'm not sure that it is entire legal for a company to bill me for taxes that they have to pay. Any legal gurus familiar with this? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm about to lose my mind... the folks tacking on $445 dollars to the already outrageous bill like its chump change.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat