Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 9th, 2016, 06:42 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
BS overland trend

Just an observation, but...

I have notice several overland themed communities springing up, both nationally and locally. I can't speak to all of them, but I have noticed some annoying BS...

Looks like a lot of folks want to replicate what Expedition Overland has done and that's cool. What isn't cool is when you meet folks in your area, some who are Rover owners and some who are not, but who all share an interest in fancy car camping only to find out that they are just trying to monetize their hobby.

Several overland groups here in the southeast who, at first glance, appear to be just friends enjoying the back country, but who, it turns out, are either looking for sponsors or looking to sell you stuff so that they can spend more time car camping.

People can do what they want. Its just kind of anoying when they arn't up front abut it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

There is quite a community of RV'rs doing the same thing, writing travelogues and books and selling them, buying stuff(hey will ya give me a discount or sponsor me if I mention you in my writings?) and putting ads on their blogs to earn income.

The only difference between them and First Overland is there is a whole lot more of em now.
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:51 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
There is quite a community of RV'rs doing the same thing, writing travelogues and books and selling them, buying stuff(hey will ya give me a discount or sponsor me if I mention you in my writings?) and putting ads on their blogs to earn income.

The only difference between them and First Overland is there is a whole lot more of em now.

Yeah I have actually followed the whole RV dwelling van life thing for a while. Deffenetly an alternative lifestyle and if classifies as overlanding in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
That's why I car camp.
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:08 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That's why I car camp.

Old February 9th, 2016, 09:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah its fucking car camping this overland fad is so lame idk what to do. you cant "overland" in a developed country. try somewhere without roads or gas stations or cell phones. yeah you can spend a weekend crusing around BLM land or the national forest, yes this is car camping. wait till you see my new overland build brah, its gonna have sand ladders limb risers cargo pants maybe some titanium cookwear. the wife wants a RTT but i thing a GTT will suffice
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That fad of ground top tents (GTT) is BS too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:10 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Are these groups in Knoxville, or just in the "southeast"? That's a huge area you're talking about.

By the way, we have a number of these types of groups and folks in the mid-atlantic area as well. Generally speaking, they're ok folks, but they're just human.
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:11 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Are these groups in Knoxville, or just in the "southeast"? That's a huge area you're talking about.

By the way, we have a number of these types of groups and folks in the mid-atlantic area as well.

The ones that I have experience are in East Tennessee and North Grorgia.

------ Follow up post added February 10th, 2016 03:16 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
yeah its fucking car camping this overland fad is so lame idk what to do. you cant "overland" in a developed country. try somewhere without roads or gas stations or cell phones. yeah you can spend a weekend crusing around BLM land or the national forest, yes this is car camping. wait till you see my new overland build brah, its gonna have sand ladders limb risers cargo pants maybe some titanium cookwear. the wife wants a RTT but i thing a GTT will suffice

Don't get me wrong, I like the gear just as much as the next guy.

And I get that different folks have different hobbies.

And it's nice to have a hobby that brings in done cash. I get it.

It's just annoying. That's all.
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:50 AM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Nature is very "in" right now.
Old February 10th, 2016, 06:31 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Nature has always been "in"
Old February 10th, 2016, 06:45 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Nature is very "in" right now.

If only that were true... more like a bunch of hipster in their mall cruisers trying to find the most dramatic background for their selfie...People seem less concerned about enjoying nature and more concerned with how many people see them "enjoying" nature.
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
People seem less concerned about enjoying nature and more concerned with how many people see them "enjoying" nature.
People have never cared more about what others think of them - all funneled through social media. It's prevalent among the 'overlanding' crowd but can be found pretty much anywhere
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:59 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
People have never cared more about what others think of them - all funneled through social media. It's prevalent among the 'overlanding' crowd but can be found pretty much anywhere
All true but many people are experiencing the outdoors and getting off their couch and putting the video games down. No doubt many will return to that once the trend moves on, but a great many will form the next generation of people enjoying the outdoor life. That will be passed along to their children. The ones that return to their video games and couch will probably be armchair warriors with there selfies of tactifool clothing and weapons.

Like it or not but some new friends and standard bearers for the outdoor lifestyle are beginning their journey taking selfies with mall cruisers.

I've met some people recently who have made trips and been places we only dream of. By the measure of their achievement we are Internet over landers and they are the pioneers.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
All true but many people are experiencing the outdoors and getting off their couch and putting the video games down. No doubt many will return to that once the trend moves on, but a great many will form the next generation of people enjoying the outdoor life. That will be passed along to their children. The ones that return to their video games and couch will probably be armchair warriors with there selfies of tactifool clothing and weapons.

Like it or not but some new friends and standard bearers for the outdoor lifestyle are beginning their journey taking selfies with mall cruisers.

I've met some people recently who have made trips and been places we only dream of. By the measure of their achievement we are Internet over landers and they are the pioneers.
True...when I was a kid we never went camping...fishing and to the beach that was it. I didn't even leave my home state until I joined the Army. I go everywhere now, and have raised my kids in that spirit. I'm a gear hoarder though and always need to have the right tools for the right job/expedition.
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:11 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

The "Overland" thing is overplayed. Why can't we just call it, "Wheeling and camping" again?

That is what we did in college. Just...wheeling and camping.
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
BS Overland sounds like a potential company name
Yes, nature and "adventure" are very trendy right now and just looking the part is what a lot of people are going for. Over-landing "the spirit of it" plays right into those ideas.

I think the term "wheeling" carries with baggage of going out and thrashing the trails and the trucks on, with a bunch of bud lite cans marking your way back home.

I do it because i want to get get those remote spots and get off the beaten trial of the typical tourist. Also one day i'll drive down to at least panama if not down to Chile in my 110. All you really need is some sort of tent, a jack of some sort, some ground clearance and you will be able to go most places.

I do love having the right gear for the right situation. I think most of us here like to have the right tools for the job is we can help it.

In south sudan all they roll with are a high-lift, a shovel and some sort of recovery strap. The winches are usually burnt out because people don't how to use it properly. They make it through some gnarly stuff during the rainy season, but they also get stuck and have to camp next to their truck for 4 months. hahaha
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That's why I car camp.
Was waiting for the sCat man to comment.

The overland community is honestly hilarious to me. We have a great time driving trails and camping in Vermont....the secret group of Vermont Underland.
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:14 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
The Wife and I are looking at getting an offroad teardrop to travel in since she will not sleep in a RTT. Im going to call it Caravaning.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:20 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
The Wife and I are looking at getting an offroad teardrop to travel in since she will not sleep in a RTT. Im going to call it Caravaning.

Haha Those teardrops look awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat