BS overland trend - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 10th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Honestly, if I were traveling the world in my Defender I would feel embarrassed to call it overlanding.
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
The one (and only) episode of Expedition Overland they had a bunch of Toyotas with every piece of expedition/tacticool gear strapped to them driving around some gravel roads acting like they just crossed the Darien Gap. Also the off road trailers. They got stuck on everything which was pretty amusing and furthered my belief that trailers are ridiculous
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
overlanding is self supported travel to remote locations. if you can reach a gas station on the oem fuel tank and hit a drivethru, its not overlanding. its a road trip. i agree that there are very limited oportunities to do overlanding in US. need to cross a border.

Briggs, I dont think thats you, unless the hoodie years came later in life.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2016, 01:00 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

If Disney is adventure without risk, then Overlanding is camping without dirt and bugs!

To take all this a step further, when one does take the family on a decent adventure, society all but wants to shut you down. We took our two kids (8 & 10) in a 130 across Belize, Guatemala, and Mexico, slept in platform tents in the jungle, volunteered at a malnutrition center, etc. We had to defend the decision to family and friends as they thought us irresponsible for taking the kids on such a trip. Our come back was every where we went we saw kids!!
Point being, folks see it on TV, and set out to do similar without experience or knowledge of how to be successful. Kind of like the guy who watches X games and goes for extreme skiing, or watching motorcycle videos, buys a crotch rocket, and sails into a tree. Instant gratification is the mantra these days....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:00 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Toyotas with every piece of expedition/tacticool gear strapped to them driving around some gravel roads acting like they just crossed the Darien Gap.
Tacticool? Haha
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:17 PM
javelinadave
-
-

It's a good fad. Plenty of used once stuff available for sale and the selfie stick photographers have good photos in their ads.
Besides anything that glamorizes or popularizes camping or outdoor exploration is good in my book. That brings new products and ideas for all of us to sift thru. Call it what you want but tents now go up in seconds, gear is a lot lighter and warm sleeping bags cost a hell of a lot less than 1980 something.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
The one (and only) episode of Expedition Overland they had a bunch of Toyotas with every piece of expedition/tacticool gear strapped to them driving around some gravel roads acting like they just crossed the Darien Gap. Also the off road trailers. They got stuck on everything which was pretty amusing and furthered my belief that trailers are ridiculous
What's hilarious is that they ended the trip at the Darien gap, were told that it's too dangerous to cross, and then turned around and went home.

It's just glorified sightseeing. They could have done that trip in a minivan with an air mattress and a Coleman cooler. I found it fun to watch, in any case.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:46 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Hey, if it gets more people out and doing stuff in trucks and traveling and seeing stuff - i'm all for it - call it over landing, car camping or just a road trip..

Enjoy it

i personally just call it "camping"

if some people can make a living at it, awesome.
If they raise awareness of the world to others, its a bonus.
I also think its a bonus that manufactures are bring items over to us now that we have a market.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:55 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think that is exactly what Vasily is saying. From the beginning many of the well known trips have been sponsored. Oxford/Cambridge/Mobile. Camel Trophy. The British Trans-Americas Expedition. Turtle Expedition. It is just becoming more and more prevalent that people are getting sponsors rather than doing it on their own. I think Scott Brady and his enterprises (Overland Journal, Overland Expo, Expedition Portal) are a big part of the reason its growing in popularity in recent years. Besides, who doesn't like stickers and flair???

-Jeff
Yeah, it's all good. However, Vasily seems to give the impression that he had a negative social experience, like he met somebody that he thought was cool, took his info, but then ended up on the guy's mailing list for selling expedition junk. Or maybe stumbled into the vendor area of some overlanding festival and got bum-rushed by a bunch of salespeople. I don't know exactly, but that's the impression I get.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:58 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Sponsors, YouTube and blog funding sounds like they have figured out a way to fund the dream. Atleast they are out there doing something and experiencing life instead of sitting at a desk saying someday.

I see people doing the same thing with cruising the world by sailboat and have to admit I wish I had the balls to just say f it I am going to sell everything and make the dream happen.

Someday... until then I sit behind my keyboard, plan, dream and hope.
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
What's hilarious is that they ended the trip at the Darien gap, were told that it's too dangerous to cross, and then turned around and went home.

It's just glorified sightseeing. They could have done that trip in a minivan with an air mattress and a Coleman cooler. I found it fun to watch, in any case.
Exactly the point. Overlanding is a type of travel. It doesn't require 4WD. This Sahara crossing picture is just as much overlanding as anything Rover or Toyota would have you believe. Because of distance and self-support nature, overlanding mandates avoiding difficult and challenging terrain wherever possible due to remoteness. Complete opposite of trail riding and fourwheelin'.

Old February 10th, 2016, 02:01 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Yeah, it's all good. However, Vasily seems to give the impression that he had a negative social experience, like he met somebody that he thought was cool, took his info, but then ended up on the guy's mailing list for selling expedition junk. Or maybe stumbled into the vendor area and got bum-rushed by a bunch of salespeople. I don't know exactly, but that's the impression I get.

I love venders and it's cool that folks travel and get funded and post pics. It's cool if they have the gear and don't travel too.

My experience was social, yes. Got connected with folks to try to go wheeling. But it turned out that they wanted to sell gear instead.

I guess my point is that they weren't up front about it. I guess they want to emulate the success of mountain state overland or expedition overland or whatever. And that's fine. Just be up front about it

I have zero interest in joining someone's crew or buying whatever they are selling.
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Have you heard of Stan Mott?

-Jeff
The artist?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat