Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
The Wife and I are looking at getting an offroad teardrop to travel in since she will not sleep in a RTT. Im going to call it Caravaning.
You like dags?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:36 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I like Caravans more. Periwinkle Blueeee Mate.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
I like Caravans more. Periwinkle Blueeee Mate.
Check the axles first though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:44 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
You like dags?
5 minutes? It was 2 minutes, 5 minutes ago.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:47 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
My "family" camping is centered around making the GF happy if I want her along. Ground tent, fail. Pickup with shell, better. In the back loadspace of SUV, even better. But those were not as comfortable as she liked and she hated having to stack the gear around the car or in front seat. Got an Autohome AirTop and drove Baja for two weeks. She loved it and thinks it qualifies as a top five best purchase. She no longer dislikes camping. I am just happy she will go camping now. I don't overland as nothing I do qualifies.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:49 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
My "family" camping is centered around making the GF happy if I want her along. Ground tent, fail. Pickup with shell, better. In the back loadspace of SUV, even better. But those were not as comfortable as she liked and she hated having to stack the gear around the car or in front seat. Got an Autohome AirTop and drove Baja for two weeks. She loved it and thinks it qualifies as a top five best purchase. She no longer dislikes camping. I am just happy she will go camping now. I don't overland as nothing I do qualifies.

That's awesome. You also went to Baja for 2 weeks. Even more awesome.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:00 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
That's awesome. You also went to Baja for 2 weeks. Even more awesome.
We did it this 2015 Christmas into the New Year. Simply Amazing. I want to go back and check out the area around Bahia de Concepcion more.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:02 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Selling oneself in order to make a living traveling isn't a new concept. These platforms for doing it however, are. I mean a Defender 90/110 outfitted for overlanding is at least a $40K investment; if people need partners to run that kind of operation I am all for it.

Was on instagram the other day and saw some girl doing yoga on her jeep, I clicked the profile and she was sponsored by some Jeep supply company (seriously fake tits and all). It's not about what we should be sponsoring (CT style events and overlanding in untamed countries) its about what sells and will be for the foreseeable future.

Seriously, I could make a living at it with some insta-famous model type girl posing on my 90/110 all day while she poses with guns in a bikini. It's just whether or not you can stomach your pride long enough to be made into that sort of marketing machine or not
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Can we just talk about how uninteresting the Expedition Overland people are? They do an awesome job of filming and editing, but the people are so lame.

I still want to open a company called Tactical Expedition Overland Outfitters.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:17 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Can we just talk about how uninteresting the Expedition Overland people are? They do an awesome job of filming and editing, but the people are so lame.

The irony is that most of the tactical stuff will get you into serious trouble outside the US.

Can you imagine pulling up with a LBE vest and moral patches and tactical themed equipment at a boarder checkpoint just about anywhere in the world? That would make for a memorable experience.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I love the idea behind Jimmy's car camping collective because it is a more honest and understated description of what the activity really is. It becomes dishonest and ridiculous when you pretend that the activity is something far more adventurous and exotic than it really is.

From the beginning I've always related Overlanding with the activity of traveling to remote countries by vehicle. Exotic adventures in different cultures. That is my draw to it. My parents lived in Africa before I was born, so even as a little kid I was incredibly inspired by this. Seeing all the pictures and dreaming about it. We travelled a lot growing up.

This whole phenomenon of calling car camping Overlanding is just a ridiculous parody of itself. Its not what Overlanding is, or ever will be in my mind. I don’t even know what Expedition Overland is, nor do I care, but my good friend Graeme and his family (A2A Expedition) are, in mind, what its all about. All that said I do own several sets of adventure pants. It makes me feel a bit more like Indiana Jones when I'm actually just a keyboard jockey in an office all day.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:47 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I love the idea behind Jimmy's car camping collective because it is a more honest and understated description of what the activity really is. It becomes dishonest and ridiculous when you pretend that the activity is something far more adventurous and exotic than it really is.

From the beginning I've always related Overlanding with the activity of traveling to remote countries by vehicle. Exotic adventures in different cultures. That is my draw to it. My parents lived in Africa before I was born, so even as a little kid I was incredibly inspired by this. Seeing all the pictures and dreaming about it. We travelled a lot growing up. This whole phenomenon of calling car camping Overlanding is just a ridiculous parody of itself. Its not what Overlanding is, or ever will be in my mind. I don’t even know what Expedition Overland is, nor do I care, but my good friend Graeme and his family (A2A Expedition) are, in mind, what its all about. All that said I do own several sets of adventure pants. It makes me feel a bit more like Indiana Jones when I'm actually just a keyboard jockey in an office all day.

I don't mind the fad and the mall crawlers. Overlanding is different to different people. That's cool with me.

What's not cool is when you meet folks who at first glance have similar interests in wheeling and camping but are actually fishing for sponsors and then try to sell you 90$ shovels or some maxtrax knockoff. That was what my OP was about.

I'm all for the gear and the lifestyle. It just means that manufactures will try to come out with cooler gear, the outdoor industry gets more advocates, and most importantly, the amount of cool stuff at steep discounts on Craigslist goes through the roof.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Yep. Everyone has a different opinion and I just posted mine.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:50 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Yep. Everyone has a different opinion and I just posted mine.

Old February 10th, 2016, 11:07 AM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post

taxpoo.com TM

a division of carcampingcollective.com
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Damn Brigg'sy! Same Station Wagon we overlanded from NC to Nebraska every other year to see my grandparents in Hooper! Slept in the back too!
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:45 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Briggs, I thought that wagon was "Antartic Blue?" ;-)
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:01 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Briggs, I thought that wagon was "Antartic Blue?" ;-)
"Now, I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster is the way to go. You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it."
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Ha! It's all starting to make sense now. That was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Expedition Overland was the group that put on the rave at Expo year before last. https://youtu.be/4vtlGUB0hOE?t=100 -Jeff
-
-
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Isn't Expedition Overland just a movie series paid for by Toyota USA and General Tire?

It's no different from "The Bachelor" or "House Hunters" except it's being marketed to dudes instead of women.

There's no reality for the people in Expedition Overland. It's a fabricated, polished commercial made to sell stuff. TAD Gear? Seriously? I like the youtube videos, but it's just fantasy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat