Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
British Rover Co.

I have seen something about this independent Rover dealer in south Florida before on here, and I have perused their site before. I just purchased a little red '03 MINI for my wife from them yesterday and thought I would give them a plug. They are a family owned operation and passionate about Rovers and all else British. I dealt with Erich in sales. Because of his passion and knowledge, for the first time ever I bought a vehicle site unseen and am having it shipped to me...
Besides sales, they seem to have a stellar service dept. as well. It's good to see people like that keeping the Defender fire burning.
http://britrover.com/home.htm

Burke

PS here is the latest toy in my collection. http://britrover.com/listman/listings/l0018.html I really wanted a Cooper S softtop, but this should hold us for a year or two until I pay off one of the other toys
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Burke - I saw your Mini in person today. Looks good! You'll have fun with that car, it looks wonderful.

I came down to Miami with my wife to look at a 95 defender at Warren Henry Auto. It was a craptastic rust bucket! Rust all over the rear of the frame rails, gas skid and tank. Not a truck I would want to deal with. After we left we drove 20 minutes north to Brit Rover.

What a great place. We met with Erich for quite a while. Saw and walked through the service shop with about 6 defenders in varying stages of repair/refurbishment. The showroom had 4 or 5 beautiful trucks.
We did not find our perfect truck today, but it was a wonderful experience and a good time. If they have what we are looking for I would feel confident to purchase from Brit Rover.
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:16 AM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

British Rover does seem like a good outfit. They're really into all things Defender and have 90's all over the place at the shop (and I saw Burke's Mini too). BTW good choice on the Mini; if I had to go for a small car, it would be either the Mini or Honda Fit (still waiting on the new Fiat 500 to make it to these shores).

Sorry to hear you didn't find your 90 Clarence but you're going about it the right way being so picky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Mighty
mighty
epsom 110 & stornoway 90

brit rover

I also know the guys of BritRover and have dealt with them first hand. Excellent people!!! Anybody in the lower half of Florida who owns a D90-110 or any rover for that matter should def. get to know these folks!!! Real Good guys with excellent mechanics and honest, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Highly recommend
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB622

Sorry to hear you didn't find your 90 Clarence but you're going about it the right way being so picky.
We are taking our time to find a gem. My wife will have as much driving time as me, so her input is paramount. If it was left up to me I would have bought a few problem d 90's by now. I know its going to happen in time. I am sure my better half will help keep me picky! Thanks
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Glad to hear the good comments on Brit Rover (and my MINI). It was the most simple car transaction I have ever been involved in. MINI being delivered this evening, looking forward to it!
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Ok, I forgot how damned fun these MINIs are! I had driven a Cooper S years ago and loved it, but thought I would be very disapointed with the regular Cooper. Not so! I think I broke several traffic laws this morning on the way to work between "spirited" lane changes and doubling the speed limit on exit ramps. I found myself searching for anything that resembles a curvy road. Granted, the extra 50hp of the S would be nice, but this is fine for the wife. I am actually pondering trading my daily driver Jeep in on an S convertible... Hmmmmm?
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I miss my Mini S with the John Cooper Works Kit. That baby was fast! The power was ridiculous in that little car.
You will be searching out curvy roads everywhere, have fun.
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

Cooper Works kit.. it must have had defender-esque resale (granted, not over a ten year plus span).
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/john-cooper-works/

I like the Mini; congrats Burke.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
My Cooper was not the GP edition. Unfortunately the resale was not as high, but the hp still was around 215.
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM
bklhrt508
John Fordon
None

Stay away from British Rovers!!!!!!

Here' my British rover experience. I met Erich Smith two 2 months ago and was impressed by his shop. I too was fed the same crap of valuing the customer over the deal. Erich even went as far as to offer his opinion upfront on any vehicle I found elsewhere, assuming BR would most likey be doing any service and restoration.

Two weeks ago I made a deal on a D90, purchased plane tickets, and forwarded the photos to Erich for his review. Several days passed and I received a voice mail from the owner who stated "his aunt died and he had changed his mind on selling the rover." Even stranger though, was the fact that Erich, who is usually very prompt, stopped returning my calls.

And with no real surprise last night, that very same Rover showed up on The British Rovers Website.

I'm sure Erich who reads this board often will come up with a viable explaination, but this is what I know.

Any marginal gain on this transaction is not worth selling out his companies reputation!

Sad and very short sighted Erich.
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

I beg your pardon!

First of all, I aquire the defenders for The British Rover Company.Erich is in sales and has nothing to do with purchasing. I work mostly from home searching for product. At any given time, I am tracking many prospective vehicles. I do not discuss my leads until a purchase has been made.

The vehicle in question was being tracked by me for a couple of weeks. I even bid on it while on ebay. I have the proof of this and will gladly send it to Mr. Fordon. The seller of the vehicle never mentioned he had any "deal" on his vehicle. In fact, he said he was about to re-list it. I made him an offer and he accepted it.
If there was a deal on this vehicle I think the owner would have mentioned it. You don't go selling something that you already have a deposit on.

There are a few other gentlemen and a lady who also do what I do. They oftern beat me to the deal,sometimes by minutes, if not seconds. No hard feelings. I should have been quicker. Sometimes I am and I win. Whatever. It goes with the territory. I even lose to you unlicensed flippers out there. There are always more deals to be had.

Mr. Fordon has been actively searching for his dream defender for awhile now. I think he is having fun. Good for him. It should be enjoyable. I certainly do not need him to find vehciels for me. I have been buying exotic,vintage,etc,etc, for 23 years now. It is my job. It may be fun, but it is not all fun and games.It is business.

Please do not disparage Erich or Britrover over this. They are great people and have a very good outfit. I would not be invloved with them outherwise.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I would like to also add that someone (especially someone new to this board) should do a bit more research and get all of the facts before making disparaging remarks about someone's business, and livelihood. Just my .02
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
bklhrt508
John Fordon
None

Stop. Take responsibility and move on.

Gentlemen, I already know the facts thank you... you're scum bags. I dont care how you want to paint your unethical behavior. You're just embarrased that you got caught. I suggest you end this discussion with me. Our I will be more than happy to continue this discussion on other boards.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

After you attack them, you dont get to say "oh dont defend yourself or I will just run away from it here and start loading up other sites with BS".

You choose to make a statement on the forum, in the open in front of everyone, throwing egg on them, so now you deal with the consequences of your actions here like a man. Just as I give you the right to post your feedback here, they have the same right to defend themselves.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklhrt508
Gentlemen, I already know the facts thank you... you're scum bags. I dont care how you want to paint your unethical behavior. You're just embarrased that you got caught. I suggest you end this discussion with me. Our I will be more than happy to continue this discussion on other boards.
I have no affiliation with Brit Rover. My wife and I just met them a couple of weeks ago and they strike me as honest and respectable individuals with integrity. They were far better then the unethical Miami area rover dealer who tried to sell me a heavily rusted defender.

John the god news is the truck is still for sale. Buy it, or don't, but how about you get over it. Its just a truck, there are hundreds more out there.
Suck it up you were just out negotiated (work faster next time) and it appears without malicious intentions. It happens. Move on.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
bklhrt508
John Fordon
None

Chris, I still don't think you understand what happened, so I'll try to speak a...little...slower... for... you. I have my ebay bid, my second chance offer, various email and voice mail correspondence with Erich and the owner discussing my purchase. I am out 300 dollars for my plane ticket, the vehicle and Yes, I am pissed. There is no way a company this small doesn't know what the other hand is doing. I am just merely holding them responsible for their actions. If you or British Rovers think you can spin your way out of this, you are underestimating my resolve. I am not going anywhere. I think the longer and wider this discusion goes on the better. So keep talking.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Dude buy a Jeep because you just lost the help and camaraderie of the Defender community and if you keep lashing out no one in the Rover community will want anything to do with you.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Even if the seller is an asshole, we're not going to form a posse and go cut anyone's nuts off, so you really don't have to push your point as if you're going to "win" or resolve anything in this forum. You stated your point, the other guy defended himself, thats it, end of story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
bklhrt508
John Fordon
None

I'm not looking to join your circle jerk, and don't need your help. Get over yourself DUDE. You and a couple of your friends don't represent the D90 community. I am just offering my experience to thread discussing British Rovers. I'm sorry that you feel I pissed in your sand box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat