Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

British Around the World Land Rover Expedition

British Around the World Land Rover Expedition

Hi,

Before starting my business in Transylvania 2008, I am going on one very big expedition by Land Rover. This will encompass most of the globe east to west, and will take approximately 18 months to complete. As fuel and other costs are pretty expensive, I thought it would be a nice idea to share this expedition with several people. I have come up with the idea of 'pay for your passage' This is not a commercial trip, more share the costs, and see a section of the route in a part of the world of your choice. Join me for minimum one week, or for as long as you like.

I will post the legs of the expedition and you simply let me know which one you would like to join me on. You fly out and meet me there, and so the journey continues. Bring your own sleeping bag and personal kit. I will provide you with a tent and use of all other camping equipment. We will share camping chores and driving.

Don't worry, it will not all be driving and on the road! There will be time to relax and see many things.

As this is not a paid for holiday through my company then you will need to arrange your own travel insurance and flights.

Let me know if you would be interested. You can either send me a private message on this site, or via my web site e-mail address. I will then send you a table with route and dates, what is available and what is already reserved. Your payment will go into the expedition pot, and will pay for transport and use of my equipment. Food and drinks will be extra, which can be shared on a daily basis with me.

For your peace of mind, you can reserve your place with a 10% deposit using paypal. The rest can be paid when you meet me. Your contribution will be 200 for a week on the expedition. I can take a maximum of three extra people. If you are travelling together costs will be less.

The route is as follows.

France-Germany-Eastern Europe-Turkey-Iran-Pakistan-India-Nepal-China-Laos-Cambodia-Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia-Australia-New Zealand-USA-Mexico-Guatemala-Honduras-
El Salvador-Nicaragua-Costa Rica-Panama-Ghana-Burkina Faso-Mali-Mauritania-Morocco-Spain-France.
Best Wishes,

Paul.

Transylvanian 4x4 Tours

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

Come on guys, this will be a trip of a life time! Only one person has shown any interest from this site. You can choose your country, and the length of time you join me. For 200 toward costs a week is a real bargain. You even get the chance to drive a great rig! Any questions ask away. I can't afford this trip on my own, so your support would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'll bite, post some details of your trip. When are you going to be where?
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

Thanks Jesse,

Below is a lsit of the countries that will be on route. The dates shown are those when entering each country.

I hope that helps, Paul.

1. Start London October 1st 2007
2. 2.10.07 Germany
3. 5.10.07 Austria
4. 9.10.07 Hungary
5. 13.10.07 Romania
6. 20.10.07 Bulgaria
7. 24.10.07 Turkey
8. 07.11.07 Iran
9. 28.11.07 Pakistan
10. 19.12.07 India
11. 16.01.08 Nepal
12. 02.02.08 China
13. 23.02.08 Laos
14. 11.03.08 Cambodia
15. 01.04.08 Thailand
16. 22.04.08 Malaysia
17. 13.05.08 Indonesia
18. Passage to Australia
19. 20.05.08 Australia
20. 15.07.08 New Zealand
21. Passage to USA
22. 19.08.08 USA
23. 16.09.08 Mexico
24. 07.10.08 Guatemala
25. 21.10.08 Honduras
26. 04.11.08 El Salvador
27. 18.11.08 Nicaragua
28. 02.12.08 Costa Rica
29. 16.12.08 Panama
30. Passage to Ghana
31. 2.01.09 Ghana
32. 22.01.09 Burkina Faso
33. 13.02.09 Mali
34. 06.03.09 Mauritania
35. 28.03.09 Morocco
36. 12.04.09 Spain
37. 26.04.09 France
38. Return to London 11.05.09

Old February 9th, 2007, 01:14 AM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

This trip is obviously ticking few boxes. I'm not sure if I have got the angle right.

I have deliberately not asked for money up front as this is not a commercial holiday. It will have to be based on trust, and that is why I have asked for payment to be made when we meet. 200 is a small amount of money per week and all of it will be spent on fuel costs. My Land Rover averages 28mpg on a good run.

When you fly out I will pick you up from a pre-arranged airport. Likewise if it makes life easier I can drop you off at another airport on route for your return journey.

Paul

Old February 9th, 2007, 01:21 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Not visiting Canada?
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:35 AM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

I did think about Canada, but I have to be realistic about what can be achieved in the timescale. It started at 18 months, and has already extended beyond that. I will have someone looking after my business in Transylvania, but I cannot expect them to do that indefinately.

Do you think this is being pitched at too many countries that North American's wouldn't be too comfortable visiting? I know some would appeal, especially SE Asia, Australia, and South and Central America, but maybe its the middle east that is putting some off?

Paul

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul64
This trip is obviously ticking few boxes. I'm not sure if I have got the angle right.

I have deliberately not asked for money up front as this is not a commercial holiday. It will have to be based on trust, and that is why I have asked for payment to be made when we meet. 200 is a small amount of money per week and all of it will be spent on fuel costs. My Land Rover averages 28mpg on a good run.

When you fly out I will pick you up from a pre-arranged airport. Likewise if it makes life easier I can drop you off at another airport on route for your return journey.

Paul
Exciting idea and sounds like fun, but some of us have jobs....
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsurf
Exciting idea and sounds like fun, but some of us have jobs....
Surely you can get 2-3 weeks off work for a holiday?

Old February 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Surely you can get 2-3 weeks off work for a holiday?"

We are americans not europeans!!!!

2-3 days is about right, week tops.
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

I suspect that I would have to get visas for a lot of those places listed, which is not a huge problem, but for a couple probaly impossible. What are you experiences with that? I'll be in Ireland in the later part of October. I might be interested for a week, but I will want to gather more info. Bulgaria, Turkey and Romania would be a lot of fun. The weather would be great.

Old February 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
I suspect that I would have to get visas for a lot of those places listed, which is not a huge problem, but for a couple probaly impossible. What are you experiences with that? I'll be in Ireland in the later part of October. I might be interested for a week, but I will want to gather more info. Bulgaria, Turkey and Romania would be a lot of fun. The weather would be great.
Thanks Mike,

First of all I have been looking at your web page. Fantastic looking rig. I take it yours is the green one? There are some countries that require visas, many of which can be obtained with minimal fuss. But you are right about some which would involve a visit to the embassy first. It's more about where you are willing to go rather than where you will be allowed to go. Usually outcome favours the brave, but I can see some places may cause obvious apprehension. This is why I thought it better to break down the route into holiday size chunks so people could choose where they go. Bulgaria, Turkey and Romania will all be good. I know Transylvania (Romania) particularly well as this is where my business is based.

Keep in touch Mike, and let me know if you want to reserve a seat on any section. I will have three seats available, so no hurry.

Regards, Paul.

Old February 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul64
Surely you can get 2-3 weeks off work for a holiday?
Most Americans are lucky to get 2-3 paid weeks off a year. Total. That means no other time off for the entire year. I get _zero_ paid holidays. Every bit of time I take off is on my dime.
This is partly why the vast majority of Americans never do any real world traveling. By the time you get done traveling to exotic places you have to turn around and head back. It's sad, but I have to admit to having never left North America at nearly 40 years old.
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Hey Paul, I emailed you the other day. I am going to do some research as to where I want to go, but I think I am in. I don't know how I could pass up this opportunity. Will we have five star hotels to stay in?..............haha
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Looks like the two Lynch's might be in. I am going to do my best to make this work.

Old February 9th, 2007, 11:33 PM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee
Hey Paul, I emailed you the other day. I am going to do some research as to where I want to go, but I think I am in. I don't know how I could pass up this opportunity. Will we have five star hotels to stay in?..............haha
I am happy to hear you are interested Dennis. Are you related to Mike?

No 5 star hotels, but I have been looking at one of these.

http://www.boab.biz/Pages/Autohome%2...%20Extreme.htm

Otherwise it will be tents. I will keep you posted with the latest news.

I am flying to Bucharest this morning to spend a week in Transylvania. I will try and keep up to date on this forum, but if I don't reply quickly it is because I'm not near an internet cafe.

Regards,

Paul.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
Looks like the two Lynch's might be in. I am going to do my best to make this work.
That's great news Mike. I will keep you posted with the latest information. As I said I am now away for a week, but I will try and keep in touch. Either internet cafe or wireless.

Regards, Paul.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
Most Americans are lucky to get 2-3 paid weeks off a year. Total. That means no other time off for the entire year. I get _zero_ paid holidays. Every bit of time I take off is on my dime.
This is partly why the vast majority of Americans never do any real world traveling. By the time you get done traveling to exotic places you have to turn around and head back. It's sad, but I have to admit to having never left North America at nearly 40 years old.
Hi Tony,

I do sympathise with your position. I have heard about this in the US. However, I had no idea that you would not get paid leave. When we use up our paid leave but need some extra time off we apply for unpaid leave. Obviously it is up to the employer to grant this or not. What you have said does explain a lot. Some Europeans have the impression that Americans prefer to stay at home rather than travel, but it sounds more like restrictions due to work.

The first week of my Expedition will start at the Royal Geographical Society in London. From there it will be a bit of a stampede over the channel, through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and then Austria. This part of the trip will be completed in a week if that helps at all. You could fly into London and fly out from Vienna. Just a thought.

Regards, Paul.

Old February 10th, 2007, 12:23 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I think part of it is also that it's so far away. Truthfully, I'm probably in for part of your central and/or north american trip, but I'm on retainer for a few companies, so I can't schedule 10-16 months in advance... I know it sucks. Of course there is also the whole time off issue.
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
I think part of it is also that it's so far away. Truthfully, I'm probably in for part of your central and/or north american trip, but I'm on retainer for a few companies, so I can't schedule 10-16 months in advance... I know it sucks. Of course there is also the whole time off issue.
I understand your situation. We can keep in touch, and when I'm on route for the US we can discuss your options. I will have three seats, so there will more than likely be room for you.

Just had dinner with my in-laws in Tirgu Secuiesc, Transylvania. I used Wizz air for the first time, Dortmund to Bucharest. With flight, trains and taxi 8 hours travel door to door. That has got to be a record for me. Usually with all the waiting around it usually takes a minimum of 12 hours.

Keep in touch.

Paul.

Old February 11th, 2007, 12:24 AM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

I see your calendar but how long are you actually in the USA? What states? Route? Can we join you in our own vehicles? I'd bet you'd get quite a group of us throughout the Colorado and Utah areas.
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM
paul64
Paul White
Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007
I see your calendar but how long are you actually in the USA? What states? Route? Can we join you in our own vehicles? I'd bet you'd get quite a group of us throughout the Colorado and Utah areas.
Thanks Matt,

I will be in the US for one month. The states will include California, Utah and Arizona. I am still trying to arrange the passage for this section of the trip. Until I know which port I will arrive at, I cannot confirm the exact route. Regarding people joining me with their own vehicles, I would positively encourage this. Also, when the route is confirmed, if it runs close by to any of you I would really appreciate the use of garage or workshop facilities for maintenance and possible repairs.

Regards,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
expedition