Bringing Parts back from UK - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Bringing Parts back from UK

I am going to be in London for 4 weeks in May... I was thinking about picking up some various parts but have no clue how to get them back home. Most importantly I want a series/poe rear hatch. Can I just carry it on the plane if its boxed up well? or check it? In addition say for arguments sake I wanted to bring something larger back?

I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I bring parts back all the time that fit within my suitcase. I also bring parts there for one of my cousin. I have never brought anything really large, though. If there is any hint of oil, gas, or solvent, they won't let you take it. I also have never tried to carry anything on, and would not recommend it.

Old March 27th, 2007, 02:54 PM
94 ST
I think your best bet is to check with the airlines as far as dimensions of the parts/luggage. Obviously there is certain weight restrictions. From my travel experiences, I have seen some weird containers and boxes pop up via the baggage claims. If they allow that, along with stout golf club and ski carriers, I'm sure you might be able to get way with some things, just as long as it doesnt way a metric ton or obnoxious in shape.

Btw, do you know where in London you're planning on staying in relations to where you plan on 'shopping' for parts? I only ask, because I thought about it as well, but when I mapped via google some of these places in the UK, they were 4 hours outside of London. There was no convincing my nonrover buddy how great of an idea that was.
"It insists upon itself" Family Guy
"Your Defender insists upon itself" Dave Parker
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS
Defo ring your airline. Anything cumbersome/oversized you may have a problem although some airlines do allow you for example to bring a bike, skis etc. If you can fit parts in a suit case and as long as they don't contain solvents etc as already advised, you'll be ok.
Grew up with them all my life, took me this long to own one. Is it too late to be happy?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

ac, part, parts