Brandon Tinders Across America aka. MURICAH and a little bit of CANADUH - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Does Brandon have the special main shaft tool? Does he need the stock Tcase gear in case the OD shits the bed? I can mail both out if needed.

-Jeff
He does have the original gear. The overdrive is new, so let's hope that does not fail....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
Quote:
Does Brandon have the special main shaft tool? Does he need the stock Tcase gear in case the OD shits the bed? I can mail both out if needed.

-Jeff
Brandon has a Roamerdrive so the special nut was replaced with a hexagonal 1-1/16" nut. I should have one of those OD tools in my garage here in Omaha, if not we'll keep in touch!
Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:27 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

This is awesome. I have a SIII tranny on my garage that I would not say is ready to run but I can send it or strip it for parts if you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
He have the Tcase coverplate as well?
Yes. Well he did when he left me. I think he planned to get Chris to carry some parts home.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:11 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If there is someone friendly on his route, that is not scared of gearbox internals and does not charge for their work.... they could fix it up. Probably just need this $2 part and a bunch of labour.
Sounds like me. I've rebuilt a few but I think he's set on getting the Maine transmission shipped to my closest Fastenal and installing that one. If his old gearbox stays with me I'll open it up and report back.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:46 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

On a completely random note: if he decides to detour to the south and to the Georgia area, hit me up.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:07 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Just thought id throw it out there, but a hammer and punch will work as well. On a side note the nut from a T90 will work as well, and you dont need a fancy tool.

-Jeff
This is how brandon and i swapped mainshaft nuts on my series at romp last year. Rob has the tool, think he responded already!

------ Follow up post added October 22nd, 2015 04:11 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
with an OD that nut requires 100ft lbs so it is best to use the tool. Don't think there is a factory spec for the mainshaft nut when used without an od. Just "tight"
There is a too tight though, lovely to do when you have no extra tab'd washers either.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
you can make your own tab washer, and you can also re-use them. not sure how you can get it too tight with the punch method. but, sounds like the voice of experience there...did you strip one out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old October 22nd, 2015, 04:37 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
you can make your own tab washer, and you can also re-use them. not sure how you can get it too tight with the punch method. but, sounds like the voice of experience there...did you strip one out?
I ripped the tab washer, not sure the spec, after i removed the trail fix nut, i installed the new nut with the correct tool from Tim Smith, and i over torqued it, which ripped (oval) the washer!
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:12 AM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

Tranny Problems

So here's the situation with the gearbox
After meeting up in Santa Fe with Matt Bourzon and his yota we pulled into camp and I could not select second gear, and third gear would not stay in. We drove the truck to Albuquerque where we stop by Southwest rovers Rob gratefully opened the shop to me where did some investigation. I pulled the overdrive and there was apparently fore and aft on the mainshaft. We tightened the replacement hexagonal nut to 110 foot pounds which it seemed to have been at. I then went to drain the transmission and the gear oil was quite gold. We also found Remanence of a circlip. When you apply load onto the gear box you can feel the gears move due to the excessive play on the mainshaft due to the worn and broken components. Scott offered me a serious tranny out of his 88 but the truck is drivable and I wanted to continue as planned with my friend Jonathan Heisler. So we pressed on . I am working to get The series 3 box shipped out of Maine from Matt via craigslist ad. I'm not too concerned with making it to Omaha on the current box but want to deal with it there. I am definitely interested to learn how to properly rebuild the series box as it seems to be a lost art. (We have put 1200miles on the box since the problem in Santa Fe)

------ Follow up post added October 22nd, 2015 11:21 PM ------

After leaving Albuquerque Jon and I headed south to White Sands national Monument which was one of the most awesome places I had been on the trip. We spent majority of the afternoon at White Sands and going out, shooting some footage, and photos. The sun had set and we head out to our campground, little did we know then we would have to make a 6500 foot climb in less then 12 miles. We were climbing pretty well in fourth gear , but the grade became Steeper. We were slowing down and all we heard is a Bang on the transmission rejecting to stay in 3rd we came to a standstill on the ascent in the middle of the road in the dark. I could not get the transmission into any gear this point. I start letting the truck roll back down the mountain and finally get it in the second gear. We did the remainder of the 30 mile trip to camp in second overdrive which took about an hour. Then woke up the next morning and went on her merry way and being on flat ground makes a difference in being able to get it in or not.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:37 AM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

Jalalorama

We then went to Carlsbad caverns in South Eastern New Mexico. It was pretty cool and Jon Heisler decided to take a shortcut in the tavern and leave while I sat down there waiting for him. We then made it to Jal New Mexico for the Jalalorama where we got fajitas from the food truck while people are riding ATVs and side-by-sides on the grass in the park. We camped in the parking lot of the park John and his one-man tent and me in the lightweight. We started packing up the next morning and a man approaches the lightweight in his pickup almost hitting it while drinking his red apple ale. He asked what oil outfit we work for and could not understand what we were doing in Jal. ( and neither could we ) he offered us a tow even though we didn't really need one. And we got in the tuck and headed for Texas. West Texas a.k.a. Oil country is flat and Barren all you see is pick ups and tanker trucks. Once we started getting into hill country finally there were some terrain differences. Made it into Fredericksburg for dinner and camped nearby in a Texas state park equestrian center. The next day we started heading towards San Antonio. We made better time than expected and spent two nights in San Antonio which is more than enough for we did remember the Alamo.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:40 AM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

Bye Bye Yoni
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	132976  
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:53 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAB View Post

After leaving Albuquerque Jon and I headed south to White Sands national Monument which was one of the most awesome places I had been on the trip. We spent majority of the afternoon at White Sands and going out, shooting some footage, and photos. The sun had set and we head out to our campground, little did we know then we would have to make a 6500 foot climb in less then 12 miles. We were climbing pretty well in fourth gear , but the grade became Steeper. We were slowing down and all we heard is a Bang on the transmission rejecting to stay in 3rd we came to a standstill on the ascent in the middle of the road in the dark. I could not get the transmission into any gear this point. I start letting the truck roll back down the mountain and finally get it in the second gear. We did the remainder of the 30 mile trip to camp in second overdrive which took about an hour. Then woke up the next morning and went on her merry way and being on flat ground makes a difference in being able to get it in or not.
You drove a CAR out there. That's child's play. Try taking a bicycle next time! Jeez.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9446.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	132977  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:03 AM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
You drove a CAR out there. That's child's play. Try taking a bicycle next time! Jeez.
Bad ass sir bad ass
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:06 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
spent two nights in San Antonio which is more than enough for we did remember the Alamo.
Did you visit the basement?

------ Follow up post added October 23rd, 2015 01:08 AM ------

Quote:
Bad ass sir bad ass
Do you know anything about time travel? Because if I wasn't such an old p*ssy, I'd be on your trip with you right now! It's like we're brothers in another dimension. Except I'm much, much better looking, and prefer to keep my shirt on in public.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:08 AM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Did you visit the basement?
No there was a basement
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:13 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
No there was a basement
Just tell them that Large Marge sent you.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:14 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
You couldn't possibly mean...... ;-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-811525177.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	132978  
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:22 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
We then went to Carlsbad caverns in South Eastern New Mexico. It was pretty cool and Jon Heisler decided to take a shortcut in the tavern and leave while I sat down there waiting for him. We then made it to Jal New Mexico for the Jalalorama where we got fajitas from the food truck while people are riding ATVs and side-by-sides on the grass in the park. We camped in the parking lot of the park John and his one-man tent and me in the lightweight. We started packing up the next morning and a man approaches the lightweight in his pickup almost hitting it while drinking his red apple ale. He asked what oil outfit we work for and could not understand what we were doing in Jal. ( and neither could we ) he offered us a tow even though we didn't really need one. And we got in the tuck and headed for Texas. West Texas a.k.a. Oil country is flat and Barren all you see is pick ups and tanker trucks. Once we started getting into hill country finally there were some terrain differences. Made it into Fredericksburg for dinner and camped nearby in a Texas state park equestrian center. The next day we started heading towards San Antonio. We made better time than expected and spent two nights in San Antonio which is more than enough for we did remember the Alamo.
Damn, that's 30mins. from me. If I had known I would have given you the box from my S3 for now.
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:00 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
So here's the situation with the gearbox
After meeting up in Santa Fe with Matt Bourzon and his yota we pulled into camp and I could not select second gear, and third gear would not stay in. We drove the truck to Albuquerque where we stop by Southwest rovers Rob gratefully opened the shop to me where did some investigation. I pulled the overdrive and there was apparently fore and aft on the mainshaft. We tightened the replacement hexagonal nut to 110 foot pounds which it seemed to have been at. I then went to drain the transmission and the gear oil was quite gold. We also found Remanence of a circlip. When you apply load onto the gear box you can feel the gears move due to the excessive play on the mainshaft due to the worn and broken components. Scott offered me a serious tranny out of his 88 but the truck is drivable and I wanted to continue as planned with my friend Jonathan Heisler. So we pressed on . I am working to get The series 3 box shipped out of Maine from Matt via craigslist ad. I'm not too concerned with making it to Omaha on the current box but want to deal with it there. I am definitely interested to learn how to properly rebuild the series box as it seems to be a lost art. (We have put 1200miles on the box since the problem in Santa Fe)
Me too and found this informative write up awhile back.

Series III gearbox rebuild - Series Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac