Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
BR-5 - Gotta love ECR's hubris!

I'm not a FB member, but a friend forwarded this June 4th wall posting from ECR:

"ECR Beach Runner #5 has arrived back at ECR for a check over before summer. A new owner just bought the 110 and we will be going over it for him as well as undoing some incorrect items that were done by the dealer that sold it. We will also be performing a complete service so that the new owner will have a trouble free summer. To see the build up of this 110 go here:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/BeachRunner5.html"

A not so under-the-radar F.U. to Copley?........and Copley still refers people to him on their website? Don't do this guy anymore favors. He clearly doesn't need any referrals because he's so good, right?

What did Copley do that's so offensve? install an incorrect valve stem?, maybe an aftermarket wiper blade? I wonder if ECR's comments would have been more harsh if Copley hadn't so kindly listed them as a source of maintenance on their site?

Think it would have been just find to say that they (ECR) is simply tuning the truck up for the summer?, no Mike has to go the extra mile to back the bus over a dealer he's done business with many times and once again prove to the world that he is THE BEST. I guess there is nobody else on this spinning ball of mud that can work on a Land Rover properly?

After all those stunning Rovers that have left ECR, perhaps the best thing Mr. Smith is good at is creating a nice smoke-n-mirrors show with billable hours!

I keep quite for the most part when it comes ECR, but it's hard not to administer an e-Smackdown when somebody is so full of themselves.

That's all for today......

PS - apologies in advance to D90boy because this may not be his fight and I'm fairly certain he has no interest in getting into a pissing contest with ECR and the vindictive nature of Smith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2012, 08:59 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
What did ECR ever do to you?

for all you know Mike is referring to the dealer that sold it back to Copley ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
What did ECR ever do to you?

for all you know Mike is referring to the dealer that sold it back to Copley ...

perhaps you're right. Didn't think of that, but that's the way it reads for sure. Still, why go there. Just simply say that you're happy to have the opportunity to work on one of your creations again.

I don't have the time to get into ECR in detail at this moment, but they are not all sunshine and puppies the way they promote themselves (and a good degree of people here drink that coolaid as well).

Good workmanship for sure. poor personal relationships and business practices.
Maybe you have a completely different personal experience (that would be refreshing to hear).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

[QUOTE=leastonce;353517]What did ECR ever do to you? QUOTE]

I agree! Perhaps your recent project with ECR...the installation of the SD Devices and such....Do tell us how you really feel with ECR. It seems like until now you still have a grudge with the famous shop in Maine
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You're all riled up for a Monday!
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You're all riled up for a Monday!

Yeah, I know, sorry, I'll back off the coffee, switch Pandora to The Dead channel and chill

I'm fully prepared for the blowback and whatever ECR's coolaid-drinking minions have to say. However, you should think twice about plugging ECR unless you've actually done business with them.

I've had enough conversations with enough D-90 members who feel that there is nothing to gain from fighting it out with Mike. Very vindictive. He has gone so far as to notify US Customs of non-compliant trucks he's worked on. He has gotten other people booted off the Registered Importer list (all for personal gain). I simply don't give a shit, so I can voice my opinion.

great work (and inspiring projects) by ECR, but there's a dark underbelly that many of you disciples may not be aware of until you're in my shoes.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:51 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Post the proof.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Post the proof.
Someday I will. Trust me, this isn't a slander campaign. I have said all along that they do great work in all fairness. Just trying to share my experience for other board members. Do what you want with that information. I just get a bit fired up when all that hubirs is right up in my face.

continue to support ECR, worship at the alter, admire his work, engage them for services, whatever, that's up to you entirely. Let me know how it works out.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Someday I will. Trust me, this isn't a slander campaign. I have said all along that they do great work in all fairness. Just trying to share my experience for other board members. Do what you want with that information. I just get a bit fired up when all that hubirs is right up in my face.

continue to support ECR, worship at the alter, admire his work, engage them for services, whatever, that's up to you entirely. Let me know how it works out.
Plenty of places will do great work when you pay them tens of thousands of dollars. I don't do any of the above and never will. I think the BRs are dumb. I think the 130 they made is probably the worst 130 ever. I don't see how they are all in your face though. I don't think they/he has posted on D90 in a while.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
poor personal relationships and business practices.
Quote:
Just trying to share my experience for other board members.
You say you want to share your experience, but that you don't have time to go into detail; why don't you tell us more about your experience specifically so we don't have to guess?
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
You say you want to share your experience, but that you don't have time to go into detail; why don't you tell us more about your experience specifically so we don't have to guess?

In all candor, that's more effort than I really feel like putting into this. I know I probably post more than somebody that actually has a job, but I'm sort of too busy to make it my life's mission to build a case against ECR.

Also, there are some details that cannot be shared (either because the individuals involved are honestly afraid of ECR's vindictiveness, have a gag-order (seriously!), or in my own case why should I share invoices, time sheets and correspondences to be picked apart and analyzed by people that clearly only want to believe that ECR is a golden god only to be worshiped and NEVER challenged).

If my word isn't good enough, that's fine, move on. Just sharing my honest experience. (or in the words of Big Tom Callahan: "I can get a good look at a T-bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take my butcher's word for it")

I'm here to contribute to fellow board members, not to pick fights or get into pissing contests. Seriously!

If anyone feels strongly enough that ECR is where they want their truck restored, by all means knock yourself out!

Fine, ECR is great! everyone should use them!, stand up guy. 100% trustworthy.
Is that better? Can I go back to work now? Have I pissed enough people off before noon on a Monday

I promise, I'm not being a "Chapman", I bring this up for the collective forum's benefit. If nobody wants to believe me, I won't hold it against you. We are all here to make our Defender ownership easier and more enjoyable, right?
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the word was eviscerate if memory serves. probably best to let it go, I have.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Stick....nest....hornets!! He's been there, formulated his opinions, and has a right to them. I for one am not curious to see him get flamed for his stance on ECR. Too many threads that go back and forth but net nothing.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
the word was eviscerate if memory serves. probably best to let it go, I have.

Good guidance, I'm done!
(insert visual of the blackjack dealer wiping his hands as his shift at the table is done)

giftshopduane is also correct, there is ZERO net gain.

All is good in my world. My D-110 is running like a top, weather is nice.
Best wishes to all aspiring ECR-a-vistas and may the force be with you.
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
i am not getting too into it.... but he meant me, thats for sure!
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Those beach runners are an abomination, surely you couldnt have compromised its integrity.
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:21 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

ECR webpages are pieces of marketing fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Those descriptions are intended for people with money to spend and elementary knowledge of these trucks. It appeals to the anxiety of the customer who wants a Defender but is afraid that he might be buying a P.O.S. if he buys it from a private party or from a dealer.

There's nothing wrong with what ECR is saying. Just don't read into it so much.
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think you meant to say,
"Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"

-Jeff
I assumed that someone had secretly switched his regular coffee for Folgers Crystals.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 11th, 2012, 06:31 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Relax, I was just curious to hear more about your experience with them. Not that I don't believe you.. Take it easy!
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:40 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I wonder what "incorrect items that were done by the dealer that sold it" could be.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ecr