Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 11th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I wonder what "incorrect items that were done by the dealer that sold it" could be.
Keith forgot to move the seat back to it's forward position and return the radio to Mike's favorite station before he dropped it back off...

(I've got no clue actually, but I can't assume it would be anything of real significance. The better question is "why does ECR take that shot?")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2012, 07:27 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

now this here is funny.
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Relax, I was just curious to hear more about your experience with them. Not that I don't believe you.. Take it easy!

fair enough, I didn't intend for all of that aggressively-worded reply to be directed at you, just that I immediately got tons of blowback.

I was trying to be funny with the quote from Tommy Boy, not trying to be a douche. Sorry.
Trust me, I'm relaxed.... and have the best of intentions with this board and all of it's contributing members, even the ones that disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Plenty of places will do great work when you pay them tens of thousands of dollars. I don't do any of the above and never will. I think the BRs are dumb. I think the 130 they made is probably the worst 130 ever. I don't see how they are all in your face though. I don't think they/he has posted on D90 in a while.
I haven't seen an Mike/ECR post here on D90 in a long time. Just looked at their site and there was a note saying they are not taking on any more projects and need to get caught up. So guessing he's on the busy side of things.

I think Mike had some great posts here and seemed to help people out. When I was looking for a 90 years ago I came across one that they had done work on and he was honest on it's background thru email. And I've seen ECR builds around town and they are incredibly clean and nice.

But that was years ago and to be honest I never check their site out anymore. I think they have gone into a direction where their client list is on the higher dollar side and the builds are used more for going to the beach than climbing thru the woods. Both of which are fine, but if they are being vindictive to people that's certainly not cool. I don't know ECR/Mike or Jackie but have a feeling I won't see ECR at any of the LR off-road events or anymore here on D90.
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
I think Mike had some great posts here and seemed to help people out. When I was looking for a 90 years ago I came across one that they had done work on and he was honest on it's background thru email.
Yep, I agree with that. Not saying he isn't a solid knowledge base. I will even give him props for offering some parts and labor for the late Brad Harris' D-90.

However, some of the best con-men and ponzi schemes are built on a foundation of giving people a 'taste' of generosity. Who knows maybe the BHarris offer was genuine and from his heart.
Doesn't make up for all the other stuff he's done though.
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:21 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Sorry to say that this thread represents the bad side of what Internet forums have to offer. Jackie, you may be right in what you're saying, but without substantiated details only a fool will take you at your word.
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Interesting post I stumbled on...read the importer/dealer's response.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...er-110-s/page2
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Keith forgot to move the seat back to it's forward position and return the radio to Mike's favorite station before he dropped it back off...

(I've got no clue actually, but I can't assume it would be anything of real significance. The better question is "why does ECR take that shot?")
Not far off ....

"ECR (East Coast Rover Co.) There were issues with the battery hook up, audio/video system and such. Nothing major that could not be fixed quickly, but things that should have been caught before it left the dealer."
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
knowing a bit about that transaction I'll offer this, the stereo instal had nothing to do with the seller. The instal was done @ a stereo store per buyers requirement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
Interesting post I stumbled on...read the importer/dealer's response.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...er-110-s/page2

This is a completely different truck than BR-5, but same story. This truck was at ECR when I was up there. Mike when on an on about how big of a P.O.S. it was because HE didn't build it. If memory serves me correctly, the truck was essentially rebuilt by ECR.

Imagine that?....that there is only one person on this entire planet that could build a proper Defender (not even the factory)?

I have been involved in other specialty vehicle fraternaties (P-cars, vintage BMWs etc.) and there is always some chest-pounding taht goes on among the premiere restorers, but none like ECR, that's for sure.
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
This is a completely different truck than BR-5, but same story. This truck was at ECR when I was up there. Mike when on an on about how big of a P.O.S. it was because HE didn't build it. If memory serves me correctly, the truck was essentially rebuilt by ECR.

Imagine that?....that there is only one person on this entire planet that could build a proper Defender (not even the factory)?

I have been involved in other specialty vehicle fraternaties (P-cars, vintage BMWs etc.) and there is always some chest-pounding taht goes on among the premiere restorers, but none like ECR, that's for sure.
I have never really seen Mikes work other than one of the green BR 110's that some guy in town had, and it didn't look to me to be with over $100k but that was just me.

I don't doubt he does good work, but building a land rover requires little more than a basic knowledge of tools, some storage space and time. It boggles my mind to see the labor charges some shops get away with to work on these things, it doesn't get much simpler to work on than a land rover. And to say a Land Rover is a POS because you (i don't mean 'you' specifically) didn't build it just sounds like jealously. But i am not so sure the factory knew how to make them that well. :D
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
They were hand crafted by English craftsman, made from the finest materials and based on pure genius designs ... Much like the crap that oozes out of Detroit over the same time period. Bottom line is that the defender is a cheap workhorse not a hamptons carriage. No matter who is working on it .. They are still polishing a big smelly turd.

I love mine for what it is, wish it was better ... But wouldn't change it for the world!!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
....... They are still polishing a big smelly turd.

I love mine for what it is, wish it was better ... But wouldn't change it for the world!!
Hahaha, so awesome!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Since we are talking Land Rovers here, lets be honest. They are ALL pieces of shit, regardless of who does or doesn't work on them. And other than being life sized Lego sets, it defies logic (and sanity) why any of us like them.

-Jeff
Best piece of writing I've seen in a long time.
Personally I care less for the way it looks. I do however care a lot about the mechanical bits cos they're the things that get us home from the middle of nowhere

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Say what you will about Mike, but his work (what I have seen in person and up close) is truly top notch.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Say what you will about Mike, but his work (what I have seen in person and up close) is truly top notch.
Agreed! I will personally vouch for that.

...but like others have said, these trucks are not exactly rocket science and regardless of how well somebody does their job, their actions sometimes overshadow that work.

That's the irony. If he just kept his mouth shut and stopped trying to $fuck$ everyone he competes with or comes in contact with, he'd do just fine!

Remember - It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice!
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

I get what you're saying, but he seems to be doing just fine. You may not like his personal style, but he is trying to make money after all and his marketing approach is attracting dollars to him. People seem to like the work otherwise the money wouldn't flow his way. Whether or not it rubs you or others the wrong way is unlikely to faze him given that customers vote with their money. There's no gentleman's code to marketing your business.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Bottom line is that the defender is a cheap workhorse not a hamptons carriage. No matter who is working on it .. They are still polishing a big smelly turd.
I hear all you are saying but its hard to say its not a Hamptons carriage when they are at times referred to in England as a Chelsea tractor. The rich apprecite them just as much as those out in the bush, though owners with money are less likley to know much about it or get their hands dirty.

There are not many vehicles that can satisfy such a broad spectrum of individuals and functions.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:16 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I like their marketing. Educating the customer about what makes a straight Defender is good. I wish more people could be convinced that drilling dashes and doing hackjob wiring jobs is a mistake. The clean NAS Defender gets more rare by the day.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post

There are not many vehicles that can satisfy such a broad spectrum of individuals and functions.
Pickup trucks are another.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ecr