Boy, did I get fu&ked by insurance when hit... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 31st, 2011, 06:40 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Boy, did I get fu&ked by insurance when hit...

Hopefully my week can get better...

I was driving my beater car, a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, to meet a guy to sell it. I didnt make it. Got hit by another driver on right front at top of wheel well and side of bumper. The kid gets out and instantly says it was his fault. I knew it was since I had control of my lane, was going straight, and the other guy decided to see if he could fit (he didnt). Minor damage, no police report although they did show up. Estimate was 650.00. His insurance lady takes both statements. She calls me to say he is 85% responsible, me 15%, so she offers like 550.00. I say no (big mistake) because I was 0% at fault. We go back and forth. She says virginia is a contributory negligence state. So, since she determined I am 1% at fault, she can deny my claim, AND DID. She left me with a voicemail on the details of her analysis and in her analysis she completely lied about what I said in my statement to her (she recorded her initial phone call on details of the accident, and I got a transcript of it from her).

Anyone got any help or advice? Im going to the courthouse on Friday to file a small claims suit, but do I sue the kid, or the insurance company? I am thinking the insurance company because I dont think they are located in Virginia, so will probably not show. Safeco Insurance is the company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:17 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Call your state Public Service Commissioner - they regulate the insurance companies and should be able to help.
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:52 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sue the kid...

How was it your fault? If you had left 10 minutes later, he would have missed you? That sounds like your fault, you left too early.

I would also go to the hospital with pain attributed to the accident, then they have to pay you for the visit, treatment and pain and suffering.

Seriously, call your insurance company, report the accident and have them fight it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:02 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I have been in this EXACT situation in NY.

Go to your insurance and explain the deal, make sure you mentioned the offer (85%....). I have USAA, the other guy had All State. They tried to say I was 15% at fault when a guy ran a stop sign and T boned me. USAA said this is BS. They saw the pictures of the truck saw my estimate and wired me the money.... (that was on my Rusty Taco).

Disclaimer: USAA is a very understanding insurance company who stands by thier members..
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:18 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

I explained it to my insurance company. They said it was complete bs too. But, Since this was a third car and beater, I only had the basic coverage, no collision. So, they wont touch the issue. When I got into the accident it was the second time in 3 months that I drove it. Thats just shitty luck. Plus, I dont want any accidents on my insurance.

Im gonna pay the 50 bucks and let a judge decide. Its a no brainer to me, and in the least, I think the judge will award the 85% plus fees, which the insurance company says they wont pay at all anymore.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:23 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Call the bitch up and take 90% or call her boss. If you mention her boss I am sure she will throw you the bone.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:29 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

i like your attitude. ill call the bitches boss.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:57 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
It looks like scare tactics... Let the Judge decide.

Do not delete the vmail...

Good Luck!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance