Boston to Anapolis (how long of a drive?) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 12th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Boston to Anapolis (how long of a drive?)

I know Doug has made this trip numerous times as well as others on this board, but generally how long does it take and are there any routes to avoid or best times to set off etc?

Assume I'm NOT taking the Defender! (that's relevant in terms of average speed)

Looking at being there 9/10-9/14.

I'd consider RURR but don't have that much room, so we'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I know Doug has made this trip numerous times as well as others on this board, but generally how long does it take and are there any routes to avoid or best times to set off etc?

Assume I'm NOT taking the Defender! (that's relevant in terms of average speed)

Looking at being there 9/10-9/14.

I'd consider RURR but don't have that much room, so we'll see.
I did NH line to Annapolis in 8hrs driving a Penske box truck starting early on a Sunday morning.
You are skirting the entire east coast population centers, Boston,NYC,Philly,Baltimore/DC metro area's. Timing is everything when it comes to traffic.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:02 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Download Waze for your phone if you haven't already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I did NH line to Annapolis in 8hrs driving a Penske box truck starting early on a Sunday morning.
You are skirting the entire east coast population centers, Boston,NYC,Philly,Baltimore/DC metro area's. timing is everything.
Thanks Doug.

THat's what I was thinking. Timing is everything. So if you were leaving sometime on a Thursday or Friday (24hr span) and had the option of leaving Boston sometime then, what is the best time to leave Boston?

I was thinking 12:00am. as long as you can get through NYC/New Jersey before rush hour?
but what if I left Boston at 7:00am, that puts me going through NYC metro at 11:00am which is between commutes.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I've been using Waze for about a year now. It's amazing, but a lot of information being thrown at you as a driver. It's really best if you have a co-pilot because it is such a distraction.
Still it really works.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Doug.

THat's what I was thinking. Timing is everything. So if you were leaving sometime on a Thursday or Friday (24hr span) and had the option of leaving Boston sometime then, what is the best time to leave Boston?

I was thinking 12:00am. as long as you can get through NYC/New Jersey before rush hour?
but what if I left Boston at 7:00am, that puts me going through NYC metro at 11:00am which is between commutes.
I'm the wrong guy to ask. I'm a road warrior, burn up 40k of highway a year. I like driving the east coast corridor @ night since there isn't a damn thing to see between Boston and DC.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 12th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I'm with you. I don't want to see anything on the road and just want to see a steady 0.25 BAR of boost at 90-100mph, but I'd also like a new Puma 110 and a trust fund! none of that is gonna happen. There will be traffic, I just have the luxury of leaving when I want, so naturally, driving at night is probably best.

Just wondering if there is any major road/bridge construction along that route where night traffic could be impacted.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thats the downside of night driving, its the road repair season. Still usually better than traffic backups for the different toll booths.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 12th, 2015, 11:48 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Took me about 5.5 to get from boston to Wilmington leaving boston at 6pm. Once I cleared the city commute traffic (maybe added ~20min to the trip) there was nothing to see or do. The more inland route (ie not 95) though mass and conn is always better in my experience. Wil to Annapolis is not bad either. As long as you are not hitting anything at rush hour it is fine. Also, if you hit the jersey turnpike at rush hour it really won't slow you down at all. That thing never seems to get backed up no matter what (knock on wood). Getting into NYC is the only backup I ever hit doing wil to nyc.
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:46 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Hop off I-95 at Christiana Mall and get on US301 South (Del 1 south to US40 West and onto 301S) which is one of the most pleasant bits of highway on the east coast. takes you over the Bay bridge the no-toll way and drops you in the bosom of Nap-town.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:21 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I've been using Waze for about a year now. It's amazing, but a lot of information being thrown at you as a driver. It's really best if you have a co-pilot because it is such a distraction.
Still it really works.
Only a distraction if you're the type to constantly reach to the phone to acknowledge every ding or if you feel compelled to actively participate in the peer 2 peer updates of info.

I'm a total leech when it comes to using it. I just use it for the traffic updates and routing. I click on nothing the entire time and ignore everything it says to me except for police reports. You're got to train yourself to ignore it if you're driving, otherwise it's not safe.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

As an annual Boston to SC driver I've taken to leaving at 4am. From where you are 95 take Tappanzee bridge to GS parkway the nj Turnpike

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Only a distraction if you're the type to constantly reach to the phone to acknowledge every ding or if you feel compelled to actively participate in the peer 2 peer updates of info.

I'm a total leech when it comes to using it. I just use it for the traffic updates and routing. I click on nothing the entire time and ignore everything it says to me except for police reports. You're got to train yourself to ignore it if you're driving, otherwise it's not safe.

yeah, you're probably right. I have a hard time compartmentalizing chatter (conversations, emails, dings, notifications) because I feel the need to address everything and solve matters immediately. It's a personality disorder that I'm working on, haha. You'd think I'd be an expert at ignoring dings and chatter being married with two kids.

For sure though, Waze will be SOP on this trip!
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
are there any routes to avoid or best times to set off etc?
Driving between 9:00pm and 6:00am basically means that you avoid all traffic. Avoid tolls as they add up to a lot of money.

Take 1 down past Newark, then onto 95 down past Trenton through Philly. Avoid the toll at the Delaware state line by exiting early and taking local roads past the state line. Not too hard to bypass the tunnel in Baltimore. I usually go through the city as Baltimore is actually pretty small and not too congested.
Old August 12th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I left the W hotel on Stuart St @ midnight, came straight to NJT, DE Tpk, I 95, right at White Marsh ( I believe is exit 67 or so ) took 695 west to avoid the construction in Baltimore ( it is close down to one lane at night and with all the semi leaving the port is really bad ) to Rt 70 to Sykesville in under 5 hours

To Annapolis add 20 mins to the trip as you will continue 695 w to 695 s ( the outer loop of Baltimore ) to 97 s to art 50 ( then whatever is your final destination)
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
amendment to my advice - take 95 from newark to trenton. I forgot that the north jersey stretch of 1 is local.
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post

To Annapolis add 20 mins to the trip as you will continue 695 w to 695 s ( the outer loop of Baltimore ) to 97 s to art 50 ( then whatever is your final destination)
95 to 895 to 97 South to 50 east is the preferred/ quick route

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 12th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
All good input, thanks guys! I'm thinking at this point that I'd leave in the early morning on Thursday (say 1:00am), driving through NYC at roughly 5am, then around 695 like Gustavo suggests, maybe puts me in Anapolis around 8-9am?

I think I'll be at but staying on a boat don't know what marina yet. May be looking for suggestions on hotels at the waterfront if accommodations are tight on the boat.
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Personally, I don't get going all the way around Baltimore to the West to come back to go East,given the distance it adds. The 895 route has always moved quickly. I lived in Annapolis 15yrs and worked in NYC a lot of that time so have limited knowledge compared to others, having only made the trek a thousand or so times. From the De Memorial Bridge it took me on average an hour in a Range Rover or 50 mins in the C2 turbo.

------ Follow up post added August 12th, 2015 06:24 PM ------

Quote:
May be looking for suggestions on hotels at the waterfront if accommodations are tight on the boat.
There is only one waterfront hotel in Annapolis, the Marriot. Hotel is ok, but Pusser's (honey dip central) is downstairs on the waterfront side

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 12th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Definitely use Waze. I used it every day coming home from work in Long Island, and it took me a different route most days to avoid traffic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat