Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 12th, 2015, 07:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I am surprised no-one has mentioned it, but maps.google.com lets you choose a date/time to depart and you can play around with times and routes easily to plan the trip. It's usually pretty accurate.

Last time I drove up to NH, it was nothing but traffic and road construction. Awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

My standalone garmin had the garmin equivalent of the blue screen of death.....when nothing happens and you blow past your exit before realizing its crashed. Having Google as a back up proved mighty convenient.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I am surprised no-one has mentioned it, but maps.google.com lets you choose a date/time to depart and you can play around with times and routes easily to plan the trip. It's usually pretty accurate.

Last time I drove up to NH, it was nothing but traffic and road construction. Awful.
That's not going to help you if there is an accident causing a traffic delay.
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
But OB1 with all your 15 yrs of experience you should account for the 895 tunnel summer repairs

Btw 50mins on a C2.? .........Puss e. LOL

Also the Maryland Inn is across from Pusser at the end of the canal ( where the Boat show starts )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Personally, I don't get going all the way around Baltimore to the West to come back to go East,given the distance it adds. The 895 route has always moved quickly. I lived in Annapolis 15yrs and worked in NYC a lot of that time so have limited knowledge compared to others, having only made the trek a thousand or so times. From the De Memorial Bridge it took me on average an hour in a Range Rover or 50 mins in the C2 turbo.

------ Follow up post added August 12th, 2015 06:24 PM ------

There is only one waterfront hotel in Annapolis, the Marriot. Hotel is ok, but Pusser's (honey dip central) is downstairs on the waterfront side
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That's not going to help you if there is an accident causing a traffic delay.
Neither is us telling him the best way to go It's a planning tool! i don't disagree he should use something while on the road, but this thread is about when he should make the trip isn't it?
Old August 12th, 2015, 09:49 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
x3 for Waze... I hope you have an EZPASS.
Old August 13th, 2015, 09:14 AM
pdz
paul tj deasey
1994 D90 - #795

6.5 hours to eternity.... Time ur drive based on rush hour traffic. For a quick trip it's generally best to leave really really early or try to be past providence just after rush hour
Old August 13th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I have the Mass Turnpike "FastPass" does that work through the mid-atlantic?

Paul, I'd skip Providence altogether and skip I-95 in CT as that road sucks. I'd do MassPike to 84 to 91 in CT, then reconnect to 95.
Old August 13th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I have the Mass Turnpike "FastPass" does that work through the mid-atlantic? Paul, I'd skip Providence altogether and skip I-95 in CT as that road sucks. I'd do MassPike to 84 to 91 in CT, then reconnect to 95.
Yes it works often at 65mph
I've usually done i90-I84-I684-I287 Tappanzee bridge-GSP THE nJ TPike-I95

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 13th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
9hrs 30min riding the dog.

-Jeff

that accounts for two breakdowns and extra time for drug-sniffing dogs searching the 3rd world mules on board.
that reminds me of the Fung-Wah bus lines between Boston-NYC, where you had less than a 50% chance of getting there without incident. There busses are white and used to have their name on the side and now all markings have mysteriously disappeared. In any event avoid those busses like they were the plague (as a passenger or as a motorist), they are accidents waiting to happen.
Old August 13th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
But OB1 with all your 15 yrs of experience you should account for the 895 tunnel summer repairs

Btw 50mins on a C2.? .........Puss e. LOL

Also the Maryland Inn is across from Pusser at the end of the canal ( where the Boat show starts )
Nope Old Maryland Inn is the Triangle shaped building @ Church Circle @ the top of the hill. Had one of my wedding receptions there.....Treaty of Paris restaurant is in the basement/street level. Oldest continually operating tavern/pub in N.America

Across from Pussers was the Harbor Masters building and then Phillips seafood, no idea what that building has become. Its not a canal its "Ego Alley aka City Dock". The building @ the inland end of ego alley is now called the Market House in an attempt to be PC but but was originally the slave auction building when the slavers pulled into Annapolis. There are historic makers there for Kunta Kinte and Alex Haley, ie the dude who wrote Roots.

C2 time was my "average" That car saw lots of 140+ mph work, @ those speeds you look way down the road, not @ the gauges. It died the same death as that Lambo you showed me @ the Toy Store that you tore up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maryland-inn-at-historic-inns-of-annapolis.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	127073  

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Ok ok Captain Crunch it is not a Canal ( damn boaters LOL )

But don't they have the 3 hotels and one is at the bottom of the hill?

LOL In my best Bill Clinton voice " to the best of my knowledge I have no recollection of the events regarding the alleged Lambo incident " Ms Rugbier knows nothing about the incident and I like living in my house :-)
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
A quick stop at Middleton Tavern for oyster shooters is part of the routine for this damn boater. Sort of primes you for the rest of the weekend.
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
A quick stop at Middleton Tavern for oyster shooters is part of the routine for this damn boater. Sort of primes you for the rest of the weekend.
Hope you only have Ms DownShift onboard and not the kids after all those oysters LOL
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I like McGarveys better, locals go there. Shame Riordans closed. On the other side of the bridge/Eastport I like The Davis Pub (the steamed shrimp rule). I shy away from Boat Yard Bar & Grill just because its a tourist/blow boater kinda trap. Annapolis is a funny town. The guy next to you @ the bar with the sun bleached t shirt and worn out boat shoes is far more likely to be an extremely wealthy guy than the brightly colored tourist with the signal flag belt and leather crocs. I usually went out with a group of girls and it was great to sit and listen to them analyze the patrons.

As much as I love Annapolis and the shenanigans I got away with there/ memories made, I'm starting to like Beaufort as much, or more.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat