Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Bonnet mounted Spare

I saw the kit for sale in the FS section and it got me thinking about doing this. I did a search and have seen the pros and cons, but I love that classic LR look. I still have the steel spare from my old '95 Disco. Thinking about putting a smaller tire on it and doing a bonnet mount. Thoughts? Any pics 90s with this mod would be appreciated to help me decide. BTW I would keep my rear spare, this would just be for sh!ts and giggles
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The tire on the hood has a classic look. I wouldn't, however, make this a decorative feature. Sounds a little too much like a continental kit. It should work nice with 255's, though.
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Yep, I don't want to go overboard. Next thing you know I will have curb feelers mounted
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Bonnet Mount

Check with Rob Dassler (Roadsiderob on here). He added the bonnet mount on a D90 and I think had some second thoughts.
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm sure you guys know this, but if you put a tire mount on a NAS Defender hood with any good size tire you will not be able to open the hood because the tire mounts are designed for Euro Defenders that do not have the roll cage in front of the windscreen. The tire will hit the roll bar before the hood opens all the way.
Also most kits are missing the needed 2 extra hood supports and the different hood prop that are required for safe operation. The stock NAS hood prop is made for just the weight of the hood itself and can collapse, had one almost take my hand off. The hood mount prop is a long straight rod that is tougher.
Just FYI.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Burke, Alex had one for sale, not sure if he sold it though...
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:43 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Honestly, I would not recommend it unless you are running 235/85 or 7.50's. Any bigger will effect you vision. It may work for some but I hate it. I'm 6'3 and run two in risers on the seat and I still think it blocks my vision off road. Plus if you run of bad roads a lot it will take a toll on your hood, mine gave out in baja once and it sucked.

This is all of course my opinion, but I have a mount and I don't run a tire there. Sure it looks cool but not worth it to me. I'm actually in the the process of adding a second spare mount to the rear...
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Ok, you guys talked me out of it, just what I was hoping you would do. Thanks, saved me some change $$$
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I have a spare mount on the bonnet on my series III and I took the tire off because I found I was less likely to open the bonnet to check the fluids knowing that I had to lift that heavy mother every time.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have 255's with the steels on my hood. I put down chequer plate before I installed it to spread the weight better, and it has worked very well. I love it and love the look. I'm 5'8" and find no issues driving with it on there. It is a heavy mother, but I can do it myself. I keep a roll of electric tape on the bonneet release handle, and slide it on the shaft before I pull it to keep it out while I go around front to release my bonnet latches and lift the bonnet. I much prefer my spare there than on the rear door. Now I have a spector can mounted on the rear door, that I keep empty except when I run off road, to minimize strain.

My kit came with the new hood prop, but I haven't switched it out yet. Based on Mike's comments, maybe I should, but it's holding solid for now. I can also fully open my hood with the tire mounted, without any impact to the cross rollbar, so I'm confused why some have a problem there. Maybe it's with the new prop.
Regardless, I definitely wouldn't put a different size spare on the hood just for looks. it's extra weight and hassle with no upside, and Defender owners should have an anti-bling ethos. Everything should have a purpose...multi-purpose is even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 front right step closeup small.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	12911  
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:53 AM
jabber
m j

Had a bonnet mount spare with 255/85 on a steelie, on my old 94. It sucked!!! I could open the hood, but it was hella heavy. It also rattled like a bitch off-road. I wouldn't do it again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mount, spare