Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 4th, 2005, 07:23 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

BOAT question

hey fellas...
looking into buying me a used MAXUM 25' cruiser...it's a 2002 24 scr model..

anyhow, it has a 5 liter mercury motor.....carburated.....not EFI.

anyone know if a carburated motor is going to be ok?? benefits? pros/cons vs. EFI for a boat?

TIA,

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It will suck going up long steep hills, but other then that I think you should be ok as long as it's in good shape!
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

hills on water?

LOL
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2005, 11:02 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

You have to watch out on the side hills too! Fuel slosh and all that!
Actually Ron the Carb will work well in the Boat but ultimately you'll probably want at least a TBI... We switched out the GIANT Holley on a 28 foot 454 Jet boat of a friends (yes I do things other than Rovers) last year with a Howell EFI and the difference was remarkable!! Not only was the torque much better (tractability?) but the fuel economy went through the roof! Like gallons per hour! That's worth a lot on a Jet Boat.. Plus nothing wierd happens during strong wake rolling, Or jumping in some cases..

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

You think a D-90 is a money pit? You ain't seen nothin' until you get a boat. We have one. We love it but it makes the Defender look cheap in comparison. It's good point is my wife doesn't think so much about how much we spend on the 90 because of it.
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:48 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Make a friend who has a boat. I couldn't have run farther away from the last one (23' Cobalt w/ 350 EFI). The only bigger money pit has wings and runs jet-a
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:48 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

what do they say... the 2 happiest days of a boat ownwers life are the day he gets it, and the day he sells it.
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:31 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
what do they say... the 2 happiest days of a boat ownwers life are the day he gets it, and the day he sells it.

I have heard that many of times......

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dan, carbs are no problem. MY boat had HP420 454's with carbs. I never had a problem with them. also had a 5.7 merc with a carb and never a problem. The only crap that breaks are the outdrives..... now they suck...lol
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:21 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

B O A T =

B-reak
O-ut
A-nother
T-housand

Old August 8th, 2005, 10:24 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

lol!!
aiyaya! what am i getting myself into!?!? =)

welp...it's a MAXUM 2400 SCR, 2002 model....it's pretty clean...about 150 hours...is that good? bad? it's a 5.0L mercury engine...

yikes! i knew it would be costly to own one...but THAT much?? and oh...i will keep it in a saltwater slip...near my place.....the guy told me that it costs about $40 per cleaning each month.....

anything else i should know?

it does not have a macerator, nor a windlass....is that a big deal?

thanks, boys..

-dan

ps> my 90 just hi 85k miles...still running well...but yikes! these darn gas prices!!! and speaking of gas, how much does it cost for boat gas????????
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What do you mean by $40 a month for cleaning? IF you put it in salt water, you have to paint the bottom with anti fouling paint along with the outdrive. IF you don't it will ruin the boats hull and outdrive. YOu cant just take it out once a month and clean it. Trust me. YOu will ruin the boat.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
What do you mean by $40 a month for cleaning? IF you put it in salt water, you have to paint the bottom with anti fouling paint along with the outdrive. IF you don't it will ruin the boats hull and outdrive. YOu cant just take it out once a month and clean it. Trust me. YOu will ruin the boat.
When we had boats in Florida (47ft Mathews and 52 ft Hatteras) we would pay someone to clean the bottom of the boats from time to time. The cleaning person would show up in scuba gear and scrape the barnacles/ crap off the hull and do a general cleaning.

Every once in a while we would have to have the boats pulled from the water and put a fresh coat of paint on the hull and new zinc disks. If I remember correct the paint had Zinc but I do not remember how often we would have to paint the hull.

All I know is that it seemed like all we ever did was work on them and every free $ went to maintaining them
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:00 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
It will suck going up long steep hills!
Should we have Mike drug tested???????
LOL
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:20 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

yikes.....

getting bummed out here...

-dan
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
Should we have Mike drug tested???????
LOL
It wouldn't be the first time someone has asked that, oh and They have tried to commit me to an insane asylum but I broke out
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:11 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Get a survey! Repeat after me, get a survey. This will be the best $300 - $400 you will ever spend on the boat. Hull survey and mechanical.

150 hours for an 02 seems a little low...the boat didn't get used much.

If your going to leave it in a slip the marina will require a certain level of insurance. Find out what that is and get a quote. Further, the insurer will require a survey...therefore get it done as a precondition to purchase. Oh, did I mention to get a survey?

A slip is very nice as it is much easier to use the boat. However, in the salt it will require more in upkeep. Everything ages faster in saltwater. Makesure the boat comes with a good mooring cover. If there is a dryrack storage facility around get a quote. Best of both worlds. You call them and they put the boat in the water. No need for bottom paint as the boat is stored dry.

I wouldn't worry about the carb as long as it is functioning properly.

Boats are fun as I used to run a 27ft. 1959 Chris Craft and understand the addiction.

But remember, if it fly's, floats or fu^ks, it's cheaper to rent!
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

adam!
thanks for that...>VERY helpful!

do you think a MAXUM 2002 is a reliable boat? the mercury 5.0L engine reliable? how many hours can i expect to get from it??

what does insurance normally cost? and how often do i have to paint the bottom?

thanks much!

-dan
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:50 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Call your auto insurer for a quick quote. Dunno for that boat. I had to use an insurer who specialized in classic cars and collectibles so it was an entirely different kettle of fish.

As far as reliability it all depends on maintenance. Maxum has a decent reputation. However, like Rovers, I would rather have a higher mileage truck that was properly maintained than a low mileage that wasn't. Dig around with google and find a Maxum group and ask some questions. The folks over at boatered.com may know also. As always, search first. I got 1700 hours out of the motor in my Chris. Proper maintenance and fresh water cooled. Very similar to a car in that there is a heat exchanger and the boat passes ocean or lake water across it to cool the radiator fluid. Saves major corrosion on the manifolds, ect. If this Maxum is raw water cooled and has had extensive salt use you can expect some expenses around 500 hours.

You will need to paint the bottom one time per year if you leave it slipped year round. Easy to do yourself altough messy. Just a heads up...this will be the least of your maintenance tasks.

Just remember that there are lots of boats out there and with summer winding down I would not be in a big hurry to purchase as your window of usable time (location dependant of course) is closing. Your seller will be more negotiable on price as winter approaches and people become more reluctant to pay for something they may not use during the winter.
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
obie
Patrick Oberg
'95 Disco ~ '04 E500 Benz

buy a sailboat.

"To prepare for a race, there is nothing better than a good phesant, some champagne and a woman." -- Jacques Anquetil

'04 E500 Benz
'02 Colnago
'95 Discovery
'79 Pearson '39
'67 Cal '25

--

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat