Bmw X5? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Bmw X5?

Okay, my wife really wants an X5 for her everyday driver. She loves the RL3 and Rangie, but can't bring herself to buy one after the issues we had with our Discovery, and the horror stories in general with LR reliability. Its a difficult argument to win, so...

Who can fill me in on the X5's reliability, strong points, weak points, issues, years to stay away from, etc? We will be looking used, most likely between 2003-2006 model years. We both hate automatics, and would therefore prefer a sport package, 3.0 six with a stick, but she is more open to the Auto than I.

~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Save The Manuals!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
My wife had a 2003 X5 3.0 5 speed. We only had it for about a year, but it never gave us any trouble really. A few small things, but nothing horrible.
We got rid of it because with the kid and the dog it just didn't work well (for us). The dog was in the back in the smallish cargo area and you couldn't see him and there wasn't much cargo room.
We switched to an Audi A6 wagon and like that layout better. I'm a wagon-freak anyway, so...
Anyway... the X5 was nice, I just wanted the wife out of an SUV after her 90 roll over and we ended up getting better mpg and a lower payment in the Audi.
My in-laws have an X5 and it has TONS of miles and has just now started to give them issues.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916
My mom has the X3 and its a very nice little car. Though it not the X5 its basically the same things just smaller. Very good on MPG because it has some variable valve system to it. Where if you are on the highway it only opens 2 valves per cylinder and if you step on the gas it open all 4 or something like that. Don't quote me on that because I just heard it from my dad, and he likes to tell tall stories all the time

I never liked the interior of them, too hard edged and cold for a luxury SUV, but driving it was nice. Quiet, and good handling like a car would have.
1955 Series I
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
97 D90 SW
3.0 stick shift would be hard to come by, reliability is much better in the later MY.. check out the x5 forum as well. lots info and diy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat