BMW 635csi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 24th, 2014, 02:30 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

BMW 635csi

So I stumbled across this little beauty the other day and just had to buy it... Always liked these cars..this one drives excellent and has ice cold a/c and very little rust.. Been sitting more than it's been driven over the last years but she purrs like a kitten... Just going through and completely servicing it and putting some bs wheels on it and will be cruising in classic style..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	103586  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2014, 02:31 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

And another shot..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	103587  
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:40 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
My old neighbor had one when I was a kid. I remember watching that Chevy Chase movie in which he gets a speeding ticket and has trouble escaping the judge's place and never looking at the car the same. It was ahead of its time when it came out - I thought it was the coolest inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2014, 02:40 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Love these, lovvvvve them; one of my favorite bmws. Put some newer factory alloys on there and bask in your awesomeness
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Is it an M30B34 or M30B35? guessing the former, but both are smooth-running very robust engines that routinely go over 200k.
Rust and certain electronics are the Achilles heal of this generation.
I was on the lookout for a low-miles rusty example to do a M30 swap on my '73 E9 before I sold it. Pretty cheap and parts are easy to obtain.
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had several 6's back in the 80's. By todays standards the 186hp is anemic but we had fun with them back then.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
oh crap....now Shayne thinks he is David Addison Jr. ????????
Old September 24th, 2014, 04:22 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Ahhhh, I think I'm ALOT of things..JR ain't one of em...
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:00 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
My old neighbor had one when I was a kid. I remember watching that Chevy Chase movie in which he gets a speeding ticket and has trouble escaping the judge's place and never looking at the car the same. It was ahead of its time when it came out - I thought it was the coolest inside.
I am pretty sure you are talking about "Nothing But Trouble". I also have not seen it in years.
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:08 PM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Beautiful cars - had an 87 L6 with sub 60k miles - rust and trans always going to "fail safe" mode made the decision to part with it easy - looked great in the driveway, garage though
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:35 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

It has the original stock wheels on it which were those metric size tyres..and while they still have plenty of tread on them they are cracking... I found a complete set of the factory BMW BBs wheels local and I think I will put those on there... Interior is a little faded and the beiges kinda coloured carpet that has faded.. I think I'm gonna pull the whole interior out and put new black carpet in it and have my interior trim guy re-dye (paint..) the seats the beige colour... Tint the window and "bask in the awesomeness" as I always do when I'm just being me...

------ Follow up post added September 24th, 2014 06:36 PM ------

That L6 was nice but from memory the leather dash shrunk and looked like dried up ass...
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
It has the original stock wheels on it which were those metric size tyres..and while they still have plenty of tread on them they are cracking...
Michelin TRX Tyres in 16.5" (415mm)? That's what many came with. THE most expensive and simultaneously worst tire made at the time. How Michelin ever made a tire that had such little grip, yet wore out so quickly is beyond me. You're better off using 16" BBS for sure
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
It has the original stock wheels on it which were those metric size tyres..and while they still have plenty of tread on them they are cracking... I found a complete set of the factory BMW BBs wheels local and I think I will put those on there... Interior is a little faded and the beiges kinda coloured carpet that has faded.. I think I'm gonna pull the whole interior out and put new black carpet in it and have my interior trim guy re-dye (paint..) the seats the beige colour... Tint the window and "bask in the awesomeness" as I always do when I'm just being me...

------ Follow up post added September 24th, 2014 06:36 PM ------

That L6 was nice but from memory the leather dash shrunk and looked like dried up ass...
That color interior was called "pearl beige" by BMW. The metric TRX michelins were hard as bricks when new and we all dumped them in favor of stickier tires. It is no surprise to me that a set of those still exists 25 years later. Damn things were so hard they squeaked when they rolled when new. Great marketing idea by Michelin,develop a metric wheel size, be the only manufacturer making the tires and then supply the manufacturer the wheels and tires below market cost and then reap the whirlwind when the customer had to replace them. Flaw was that the damn things lasted forever and only BMW and Ford got sucked in if memory serves.
That and Falken developed a cheap aftermarket tire that would fit so they lost the forced replacement purchase. 16 inch BBS RS wheels were the hot lick on those cars in the 80's.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 24th, 2014, 07:41 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Yeah, you're so right... I'll keep the original wheels for the next owner/purist.. But me..I'll go for good tyres and safety..I'd love to find a nice set of the deep dish BBS wheels with the polished lip and black inserts.. They look good and period on these cars.. It's scrubbing up quite nice.. 130k on it and she purrs like a kitten.. Looks like it has had recent head job, took valve cover off to adjust valves and it was perfectly clean inside..valves were a little loose and now she sounds like a sewing machine.. Love these old cars..
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Great car Shayne, congrats. I sold those new at a dealership in the Boston Area during the eighties. BMWs were awesome back then. Now, they are mostly chick cars.

Old September 24th, 2014, 08:12 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

What are you saying Ken..???
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:17 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Yikes. I just realized how long ago that was. I am an old bastid.

Your car is cool Shayne, not a chick car. No worries. My dad kept his 1984 533 I 5 speed I sold him for 20 years and over 200k miles. Never broke either. Great machines.

Old September 24th, 2014, 08:24 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Oh man... I bought it for my wife... Now I'm totally confused..
Yeah, these were/are definitely cool cars.. When I worked 22 years ago at the shop I now own we had a guy come in and we rebuilt the manual trans on a genuine M6... Guy never came to pick it up and after a month the boss slapped a lien on it and finished up with it...turned out the guy was a drug dealer and got nabbed while his car was here and put away for 6 months... He was,pissed when he got out... That car was freaking awesome.. Always liked the shape of these... And they handle quite well on nice big sweeper mountain roads..
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Damn things were so hard they squeaked when they rolled when new. Great marketing idea by Michelin,develop a metric wheel size, be the only manufacturer making the tires and then supply the manufacturer the wheels and tires below market cost and then reap the whirlwind when the customer had to replace them. Flaw was that the damn things lasted forever and only BMW and Ford got sucked in if memory serves.
I think early 308s came with these as well (size and type) but D90Boy may correct me on that one.
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:19 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I think early 308s came with these as well (size and type) but D90Boy may correct me on that one.
Yes some Ferrari 308s came with TRXs.. Mid eighties if I recall .

Coker Tire was making them last time I needed a set.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat