Biz idea.. need suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

Biz idea.. need suggestions

Gents, so since I reluctantly sold both my 90's (95ST and 97HT) about 6 years ago to fund a business and a then new RR (bad decision, I know) and recently picked up a 95 RRC love it, but I can't shake the D90 fever. I love everything LR and want a business that I care about.

Seeing how much these go for now I may never be able to get another and even if I did I would hesitate to take it off road.

So I'm toying around the idea of a small sales and refurb in northern CA, very similar to www.adventuremotorcars.com but also bring in imports and parts as well as Series and Expedition vehicles, trying to keep the prices obtainable to gen public with financing available.

Lucrative business to pursue or just go buy another 90 and call it a day? If so how/what would you do to make it work? All comments welcome, it's a help me help you idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:26 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I think it would be a lot of fun to do work like that! I hope to do something similar, once I retire from my current work in a few years, but maybe with older Corvettes. I think it's a lot of work, and can sometimes be a pretty tough business, but very rewarding too - I know Stephen at Adventuremotorcars and I think he's very happy doing what he does! He truly loves the cars and the brand, and I think the passion for the car is what it takes to really do well with this business! I bet you'd have some pretty lean years during the start, but once you got a good reputation out there, then things would improve...
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

@ Jeff- Yes I've started and built up a financial company before selling off years ago so some exp, I know every business is different so I'm hoping the learning curve isn't insane. Why stay out of CA...emission standards, costs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2013, 01:27 AM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

This is exactly what I did 15 years ago .... after working for Hilton and Marroit for several years, I thought it was time for a change and do something entirely different.

www.riverhousemini.com

I would be more than happy to supply your with vehicles. I only have an agent on the East Coast.

Best regards,Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EMAIlL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM
EricWS
Eric Siepmann
1966 Land Rover Series 2a SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
Gents, so since I reluctantly sold both my 90's (95ST and 97HT) about 6 years ago to fund a business and a then new RR (bad decision, I know) and recently picked up a 95 RRC love it, but I can't shake the D90 fever. I love everything LR and want a business that I care about.

Seeing how much these go for now I may never be able to get another and even if I did I would hesitate to take it off road.

So I'm toying around the idea of a small sales and refurb in northern CA, very similar to www.adventuremotorcars.com but also bring in imports and parts as well as Series and Expedition vehicles, trying to keep the prices obtainable to gen public with financing available.

Lucrative business to pursue or just go buy another 90 and call it a day? If so how/what would you do to make it work? All comments welcome, it's a help me help you idea!
Start it off as a hobby business and grow it from there. Best of both worlds. If it takes off - great. If not, you financed your LR passion and came out ahead with some cash. No fouls there.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Too many regulations (CARB being only one of them) in CA, not to mention an unfavorable tax situation. It can be a beautiful place to live though.

-Jeff
Times 2. CA is a predatory tax state. Starting a new small business is difficult enough as it is. Not to mention, by all indications individual health insurance policy rates in CA are set to skyrocket under the laughably named "ACA".

Do your homework before treading down this road...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat