Bio-Diesel Defender in the UK - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 30th, 2004, 10:01 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Bio-Diesel Defender in the UK

Did anyone catch the segment on the BBC news this week about a Defender in the UK that runs on bio-diesel that is manufactured from grapeseed...it was very cool. The cost of bio-diesel is a little more...because of it's limited availability. Howeve, it gives me hope for a greener...hopefully not too distant future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2004, 10:10 PM
javelinadave
-
-

There are guys here in the U.S. that run their diesel VW's on a used cooking oil / alcohol blend. The restaurants even pay them to haul off the used cooking oil.
I work for a major air carrier and most of the mechanics drive diesel trucks. They begin to drool when you have a fuel pump issue hoping they have to drain the jet fuel out of the wing tanks and into their own tanks.
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

All diesels can run Biodiesel. This stuff has been around for years.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2004, 10:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
there is a D-90 here in the states that is running off it. I think its in between a D-90 and a 110 more like a D-100 if my memory serves me right... I think I saw it on the Pirate4x4.com
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Phil's right, when I was out Moab there was a guy with a 100" Defender and a tdi running on Biodiesel. Not all Diesel engines can run on Bio though, some need changes to the fuel system for it to work. And Bio will thicken up much more when cold then normal diesel. My friend is big into it and I get to hear all about it.
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

All Diesels CAN run biodiesel. Because it is a different composition, some need to modify the fuel delivery system, but all can run it. If my memory serves me right, Darrel Hanna (in all her wisdome) is championing this cause stateside.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I'd use the stuff if it were more widely available. Or available at all down here in S.E.England.
Anyone know if you can mix bio and 'regular fosil' diesel?
Old January 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yep, they do it all the time over hear.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

When I was in school we had a project on biodiesel, I've actually got some friends starting a Non-Profit at the end of this semester (they're still in) if anyone is interested in getting their hands on some. And yes, any diesel can run it, you can mix it, but most delivery systems are altered to make sure it stays warm. Anyway, the diesel was originally made to run on coal dust, so it'll burn about anything.

Here (VA) we're using Soy Beans as well as waste oils.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:16 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
It's a pity it's so rare over here
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

any difference in combustion with biodiesel?
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Biodiesel combustion is just slightly lower than fossil-diesel -- around 95%. It burns cleaner than fossil-diesel and it's a domestic, renewable resource. Most biodiesel is manufactured from Soy or Grapeseed oil which, as we all know, is NOT produced in the Middle East.

Yes, biodiesel does have a higher gel point than fossil-diesel but there are additives you can use that'll fix the problem. We used a cup of gasoline per tank in the VW Rabbit diesel driving around the Alps when I was growing up. Presumably, that would work with biodiesel.

Biodiesel is not an either / or option. Many people blend it. The most common blend is B20 -- 20% biodiesel and 80% fossil-diesel. This helps keep the price down as biodiesel is bit more expensive around here (Seattle, WA).

Biodiesel also has a high lubricity factor. Once the new, lower federal limit on sulfur goes into effect, everyone should think about adding a little biodiesel to their fuel. Running a B01 (that's 1% biodiesel) will provide the necessary lubrication to run your engine.

As with switching to synthetic motor oil, there are some things to prepare for if you decide to switch. Biodiesel has a cleaning effect on your fuel tank and lines so plan on a few extra fuel filter changes shortly after the change. Also, not all rubber plays well with the alcohol used in making the biodiesel so you'll want to make sure you have the right stuff. Any vehicle manufactured after 1995 should be fine.

On a final note, be cautious about home-brewed stuff. It's cheaper but, if it isn't made properly, can have a damaging effect on your engine. I would suggest sticking the certified stuff.

There was some mention of people running their diesel engines on WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil). This rates highest on the clean burning solution scale. You run two tanks -- one for diesel (bio or fossil) and the other for the WVO. You start and stop your engine using the diesel but run it on the WVO. My guess is that the WVO has way too high a gel point to use as your sole fuel. Conversion kits tend to run about $1k US for this.

Follow-up Post:

The latest issue of the Rovers North rag has the first of a two-part article about a fellow with a 100" Defender with a 300TDi running biodiesel. Unfortunately, the second, unreleased half of the article has the biodiesel information.
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Absolutely a great post. This is absolutely right on.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

The D100 that was in Moab at the Natl rally and is featured in the RN newsletter was running on WVO(waste vegetable oil) while in Moab(and most everywhere else for that matter). Not Biodiesel. It has what is refered to as a two tank system. A two tank system is where one tank is used for diesel or biodiesel to start the vehicle then once it warms up you switch to the WVO tank. It has a conversion kit from neoteric biofuels(www.biofuels.ca) which is half owned by the owner of the D100. Their kits are the best on the market IMO and most vehicles can be run on WVO all the time in milder temperatures. The owner is actually able to run WVO in both fuel tanks in the bay area where he lives; but still has the option of running diesel or biodiesel whenever he chooses.
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:35 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Running any 'modern' diesel engine (95 or newer) on bio-diesel should run w/out a hitch so long as you run [ASTE?] certified biodiesel and plan on changing your fuel filter a few extra times after making the switch.

When it comes to the older Land Rover diesel engines with the Lucas CAV injector pump (what I'm putting in my IIA), there's a lot of misinformation (and just plain lack of information) when it comes to running bio-diesel. I've heard and read everything from "Yup, no problem" to "it'll kill your injector pump". Quotes for rebuilding the injector pump range between a thousand and fifteen hundred US.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel