Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Bike Rack

Hey guys,

Im trying to design a bike rack to attach to my spare tire that is very similar to the old Thule or Yakima racks. Im having a problem at the point where the bikes actually attach to the rack. I thought Thule sold replacement mounts, does anyone know for sure? If they do, what size box tubing is the rack? Hopefully, it just slips on the end and then tightens up? Is this correct? Ive never actually seen one in person.

The rack Im talking about is the one that David Marchand and a few others have in case you all are confused. Ide attach a link but Im late for work.

Also, for those of you who have a similar rack, are the bikes secure enough to wheel with them on?

Thanks for all the help
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Heres a picture for those of you who are confused.

Oh, and it would save me a whole lot of trouble if anyone knew where I could get this rack or the Thule which is just like it. Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CROP-DSC07729.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	6073  
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
D MArchand has a setup like that. I wanna loose the rear step bumper. I have a Yakima swing away but I dont think it would be compatible with a rear x member mounted reciever like the Safari Gard in the above photo and the spare tire on the back door. Clearance issues and all. the thing about those tire carrier racks is I havent seen one with more carrying capacity. I can haul 4 bikes on my Yak. Whos truck is that?
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:09 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The Yak Spare Roc is a square tubing. Not sure the size but I can measure tonight. The cradles are replacable by any Yakima cradle. They are all the same across the product line for rear mounted racks.

The Rack itself pinches the tire through the rim. Their is a backing plate on the inside of the rim and you thread a long grade 8 bolt through with a clamp the puts additional pressure as you draw tight.

I haven't done any real wheeling with the bikes on there. But so long as you are using a non-door tire mount, it should be fine. You'd want to tie down the bikes as much as possible. The cradle really wasn't designed for offroad use though. I would imagine all of the bouncing would take a toll on the rubber straps which are prone to drying and cracking in a year' s time.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

David,
Thanks for the help! Ill ask my local bike store if they can get me the mounting pieces.

If you could measure the tubing that would be great! Hopefully it isn't a funky size or something.

My plan is to basically copy that rack, but weld the two horizontal pieces onto the vertical main bar instead of bolting them on. See any flaws with my logic in just copying the design?

Thanks again
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:20 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nah, the design is pretty good so long as you're using a separate tire mount. Just a lot of weight and leverage back there. I'll measure late this evening and post up.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Sweet, thanks for the help!

I still have my stock ST spare tire carrier... i know it isnt the best, but it wont cause any long term damage untill i get an upgraded tire carrier will it?
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Ok...... after some research I cant find the Yakima World Strap BedROC cradles anywhere on the web.

Can anyone think of a handy way of mounting the bikes securly to box tubing? I want 2 bikes on there, and I want them to be on solidly and not swing front to back on the truck. Anyone have an idea?

I really want to take my bikes to Colorado in a couple weeks and need a solid rack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, rack