Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Bike Computer and HR Monitor Suggestions

Since I know there are a bunch of cyclists on the board I thought I'd throw this out there. Looking for a set up to do HR, cadence, speed, distance etc on bike and running.

Currently use a Suunto T6C set up which is great as long as I'm not riding my trainer as the speed sensor is front wheel and the cadence sensor is a pill to mount on my frame.

Curious how the Garmin Forerunner products do for biking- thinking GPS might be the way to go with a rear mounted sensor for indoor trainer rides.

All my tri training is HR based so I'd also like a memory type strap for my swimming. So far the Suunto strap has been great for that. I also want to download my data to my computer.

I know Polar has a set up that is similar to my Suunto. Not sure if it is any better or just different.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I use a Garmin Edge 305. Works really well and I've been very pleased with it. Has a nice program and downloads to your pC your last few rides with elevation, mapping, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

The last time my riding and running could have been considered training was the 1990's. Back then I used a Polar for HR and a seperate bike computer for cadence etc. The game has moved on quite a bit since then. Thesedays my riding is recreational but I do use a Garmin edge 705 and it's got more functions than I could ever make use of. It seems to be the gadget of choice among my friends who still take their racing seriously too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Running a polar and seems cool.
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I like the Edge- especially since I could use it with a power meter down the road.

Kind of leaning towards a Forerunner so I can use it running and biking. The Forerunner 305 is cost effective and I believe waterproof for swimming. The Forerunner 310XT has been the best bet from what I've read, potential to use it with a power meter too.

I'm not really looking to track my distance swimming open water, most of my training is in a pool so I just need a HR belt with memory to download it after.

Alex
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I use the Edge 305 with HR monitor, cadence, etc., too. I've had it since it came out though, so it has the black and white screen. Nowadays they're color and way cooler. Also used it for skiing a few times and while doing other recreational stuff mostly just for heart rate, elevation, and all of the other data it throws back at you when synched to the computer. Pretty cool to see the rides play out in Google Earth, and to load other people's rides into the Edge if I'm somewhere I've never ridden before. Plus, speeds and distance are monitored through GPS, so way more accurate than the wheel-mounted ones.
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
So- it's the Forerunner 310XT if I want to swim with it but it won't send HR info to the watch while swimming. It will give me more accurate results on running and biking though.

So far it looks like just the Suunto has the memory belt for HR while swimming- I can sync that direcly with my computer and it works with or without the watch.
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:16 AM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

after doing a 24 hour adventure race...computer stats seem void! but i survived with excellent results - no doubt to wonderful team mates They went hi tech. I did me, my bike and body. Glad they went hi tech or i'd be 6 foot under Good luck with the training!!!
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
So- it's the Forerunner 310XT if I want to swim with it but it won't send HR info to the watch while swimming. It will give me more accurate results on running and biking though.

So far it looks like just the Suunto has the memory belt for HR while swimming- I can sync that direcly with my computer and it works with or without the watch.
Go with the 310XT and you won't be sorry. Get the cadence meter that mounts on your bike.I have had the Forerunner products since the 101 (my wife still uses the 101 she likes the simplicity) I have the 305 and love it only problem I have with it is the Battery life which has been remedied with the 310. I thought great except now I am doing double Irons and I need 30+ ours of battery or I would have already upgraded.
I have recommended this to 2 friends who bought and they love it to the point it's a little freaky. They do everything which them on now including check the odometer in their car. Needless to say IMHO they are an amazing training tool it will serve you well.
Good Luck
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Double Irons?? Wow that's serious.

Thanks for the insight, that's the road I think I'm heading down.

Alex

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat