BFG vs. Swamper.. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nicholas, well it depends on what type of mud you are in, or how often you are in it. I see my fair share of mud, Any trail I do up here will have 2 or 3 deep mud crossings, and the MTRs are not up to the task or don't do nearly as well as a swamper would do. What happens is they fill up with mud fast and then you start running into trouble, some say you have to spin a tire to clean out the mud, well full 4000 rpm in 3rd low does not clean out MTRs when I have seen 1st gear 2500 RPM clear out SSRs. But if you are not going into deep mud then you should do fine. My only problem with Swamper's is (I don't mind the ride or the noise) how long they last, if I new for sure I could get 30,000 miles out of them then I would get a set, but if I am only going to get 10k out that would suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2005, 08:58 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
has anyone found a pic of the new BFG on the net to post?
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You really need to search newb!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:56 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Ah... it's a concept tire, not a prototype.

In any case...

And only in 20's ?

Pimp that out.

doh!

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:23 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

MT/R's just plain out suck, at least on the East Coast. Yea, there are GREAT in snow and road manners, but suck everywhere else. I purchased a set of MT/R's used with about 1/2-3/4 thread left, and sold them SOON after. Absolutely the worst tire I have EVER owned! On the West Coast, things may be different, kindda like with the XZL's.

SSR's are awesome, but man, that's some serious cash on rubber.

TrXus tires are a good deal. $120-130 bucks for a tire with a good bite. Balancing can be an issue, but what do you expect in a tire like that? Tread life is poor, 10-15k and still get a good bite off-road, or 25k until they are slick (maybe a little more on a series truck). I'm on my second set of Interco's. It's a good tire for a variety of terrain, but does not really excel in anything. If offered, the "road hazard warranty" is money well spent on these tires. The steel belts like to break/tear, and balancing can be a pain....

The current BFG muds are a nice tire too. Usually about 20 bucks more each, but still not a bad deal. As mentioned, by not being siped it does not handle/perform as well as the Interco's on slick/icey surfaces. But, I have seen the BFG kick the Interco's ass in mud (but not often). For rock, I think the Interco has a slight advantage.

As mentioned, that new BFG mud looks awesome! Looks don't really mean anything, but BFG knows what there are doing... I just hope they market a size to fit the Rovers. I would hate to see those things rolling on a set of 22" spiners....

Anyway, FWIW.....
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"MT/R's just plain out suck, at least on the East Coast."

Yet another example of why the East Coast blows.

To be serious, the MT/R is the best tire I have personally used for everything but mud. It is not good in mud, but not terrible. If we could all be honest with ourselves, the limiting factor in mud is mostly going to be the DEFENDER, not the TIRE. The truck just doesn't do all that well. We should use them for what God intended them to be used for. Rocks. Okay, now everybody get super defensive!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:13 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
"MT/R's just plain out suck, at least on the East Coast."

Yet another example of why the East Coast blows.

To be serious, the MT/R is the best tire I have personally used for everything but mud. It is not good in mud, but not terrible. If we could all be honest with ourselves, the limiting factor in mud is mostly going to be the DEFENDER, not the TIRE. The truck just doesn't do all that well. We should use them for what God intended them to be used for. Rocks. Okay, now everybody get super defensive!
You have yet to run a Krawler then....
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
You have yet to run a Krawler then....
Nope,

But I have driven a truck with them on. If you don't get the red label, not worth it at all. The red did rock though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Nope,

But I have driven a truck with them on. If you don't get the red label, not worth it at all. The red did rock though.
Whatever! I just love it when someone give their opinion when they never tried the product Yes red label do hook up like no other, but blue label would still kick the MTR's ass on rocks. I've wheeled with guys that had the BL in 37X12.5X17 and 35X13.5x15 and their tires would hook up much better than my MTR's. If I didn't have to go with 17" wheels and the price was acceptable on the BL I would sell my MTR's in a hart beat.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I agree. A couple of guys I wheel with have Krawlers. Traction on hard surfaces is much better than the generic tires like the MT/R and TrXus.

If fact one of these guys has a set of MT/Rs and Krawlers. One week he had the Krawlers on and I watched him do an obstacle (that I couldn't). He had zero tire spin. The next week he did the exact same trail with the MT/Rs and was unable to make the same climb and had to be winched.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nice John! That is some good real world testing!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what is the difference between the blue and red label? Tire Composition? How are the Krawlers when on the road? Also, is a 35" tire too small to have a 17" rim? Or are you better of with a 15? IT will be time for me to buy tires and rims soon too..
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

From what I have read online, the red labes are comp tires, they wear real fast on the street, they are softer compound then the blues. I have not hear of any milage reports on either on road, but maybe John knows of some? Big reasons for going with 17s, bigger axles have bigger breaks that 15" rims won't fit over. Most of the time I think the smaller the rim the cheaper the tire. The smaller the rim the more sidewall of tire you have to flex on rocks. Just my $.02 and mostly from what I have read.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The 35" Krawlers are for 15" rims (35x13.5x15). The 37" tires are for 17" rims (37x12.5x17). I know people with both. The 10" sidewall seems to make them happy. The guy with the 37s feels that they are more controllable then the 37s that he had on 15" rims previously.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...rawlertakx.jsp
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:18 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

I'll second that, I have a set of 37 MT/Rs I used on/off road until I got the37" red label krawlers. With the red labels, there is no comparison...they are super soft! On Rocker Knocker with the MT/Rs aired down to 10psi it took me several attempts to make it up. With the krawlers aired to 6 psi I just pointed the rig where I thought it needed to go and it would just stick and climb, no second effort needed. The krawlers are on 17" beadlocks which does help some with lateral stability as the 37 MT/Rs are on 15s. On road the krawlers are not loud and ride smooth, they just wear so fast that I wouldn't drive them more than a few miles to a trailhead on road.

Tis
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I saw some dude at Paragon with a jeep wearing 35" RL Krawlers. Was doing really well. When we got to the "staging area" at the end of the day, he had a Dodge tow rig also wearing RL Krawlers. I'm thinking WTF? Got to talking with him, and he was from CA! Drove all the way to PA on the Krawlers, and they showed minimal wear, surprisingly. I wounder how much tread he had left when he got home? From Paragon he was headed to Tellico, then to some place in TX, and back out to Moab. Must be nice!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Whatever! I just love it when someone give their opinion when they never tried the product Yes red label do hook up like no other, but blue label would still kick the MTR's ass on rocks. I've wheeled with guys that had the BL in 37X12.5X17 and 35X13.5x15 and their tires would hook up much better than my MTR's. If I didn't have to go with 17" wheels and the price was acceptable on the BL I would sell my MTR's in a hart beat.
So let me get this straight, your dogging on me for what I felt when I DROVE a vehicle with the tires, and your wild experience consists of guys you have followed behind? That is moronic. Nice. Take your own advise then, keep your opinion to yourself since you have less experience than my significantly limited experience. Like I said, the red labels rock, the blue labels do not justify the price tag, in my opinion, having actually DRIVEN a truck with them.

Start Sarcasm

I just love it when someone give their opinion when they never tried the product I know it all since this one time I rode on a trail with a guy who new a guy who had just driven by a guy with the red label. They rock!

end sarcasm

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
XZL's are the best
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
XZL's are the best
I don't know about that, I think they are more of a heavy duty truck tire, they are hard to get any flex out of from what I have seen, sure they won't pop a bead and they are tuff. They also wear like steel, but they are a hard tire compound so they don't "stick” to rock real well. I think they are best suited for expedition type rigs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
bfg