Bestop ST vs. RN ST for NAS 90 or others? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 19th, 2015, 01:42 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Bestop ST vs. RN ST for NAS 90 or others?

So I started removal of my NAS fiberglass hard top for the spring and decided to check on the original LR Bestop that came with my vehicle when I bought it last year. Although I have all hardware including alpine bar the top itself is ripped in two places near the rear quarter seam.

Since I'm semi-restoring the vehicle I don't want another used top or try to repair this one and had a question. Does anyone have experience with the Bestop ST's sold by Atlantic British (not even sure if they sell anymore since I can't find it on their site) versus the ones sold by Rovers North that I think are actually Exmoor?

In terms of looks, I do like the rear quarter windows on the RN version that the Bestop doesn't have but in terms of performance, longevity, quality, I have no idea which is better. Or is there other choices out there I should consider? On that note I did look into Badger but unfortunately there is about a 4 month wait and I would miss about all of the summer if I did that. Also looking to keep cost around $2k or so which puts Badger out of reach.

Thanks,
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2015, 01:48 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Badger is down to only a 4 month wait? That's awesome!!!

I just bought a nice Bestop with the same rear quarter separation. Less than $100 repair at an upholstery shop. We did an extra piece on both sides for reinforcement so that it looked like it was meant to be that way. I'd post pics but I haven't put it on yet. You could solve your summertime issue while in cue at Badger. There is no substitute imo! Then you'd have a nib Badger ready to go on your finished rig!

FYI; Rommel has the Bestop nib for $1500. Also, there is a nice one in AZ (Jadelmann) for 1k. These could all be had asap.
Old April 19th, 2015, 01:51 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Badger is down to only a 4 month wait? That's awesome!!!

FYI; Rommel has the Bestop nib for $1500. Also, there is a nice one in AZ (Jadelmann) for 1k. These could all be had asap.
So you feel the Bestop are good quality and last? I have no experience with it since I bought the truck just last year and had the hard top on the whole time. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2015, 01:58 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatos1001 View Post
So you feel the Bestop are good quality and last? I have no experience with it since I bought the truck just last year and had the hard top on the whole time. Thanks!
They are good enough and worth repairing. Not badger quality, but inexpensive, cleanable, and durable. I updated my entry above with more info.

Obviously, of the three, I'd rank badger, then RN, then Bestop.
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:02 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Awesome thanks appreciate the info very much. I will likely go with RN. It's in budget and I do like the look of the rear quarter windows.
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:07 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Enjoy! Let me know if your going to sell the Bestop. I'd be interested, pending condition, as I know how to nicely fix the problem I think you've described.
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I might be interested as well depending on how much you want for it. I'm trailering a ST across country and it has no top. This would be better than a tarp.
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:25 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I might be interested as well depending on how much you want for it. I'm trailering a ST across country and it has no top. This would be better than a tarp.
Hey, if you're just using it for trailering a vehicle, and not needing it in the future or to stay with the truck since it sounds like it's a commercial ferry, you should take it, use it and then sell it to me.
Old April 19th, 2015, 04:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Did you happen to see any comparisons when you searched? Should be some good info somewhere around here as I know there have been some good threads on them all. Best of luck.
Old April 19th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatos1001 View Post
Awesome thanks appreciate the info very much. I will likely go with RN. It's in budget and I do like the look of the rear quarter windows.
Shoot me an email and I'll help you out with it. It's not made by Exmoor, but they do make tops.
Old April 19th, 2015, 07:28 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I will likely hang on to the top for now because it is embossed with the Land Rover symbol and believe original to the vehicle. But thanks for the information.

------ Follow up post added April 19th, 2015 07:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Did you happen to see any comparisons when you searched? Should be some good info somewhere around here as I know there have been some good threads on them all. Best of luck.
I couldn't find any information on a comparison review anywhere but I just ordered the RoversNorth version as it has the rear quarter windows I like. I'd really like something with Alpine windows as well but couldn't seem to find anything like that online.

------ Follow up post added April 19th, 2015 07:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Shoot me an email and I'll help you out with it. It's not made by Exmoor, but they do make tops.
Thanks Zack I ordered the RN in black non sleeved tonight as that looked to be what I was looking for overall. I was really hoping for one that also had Alpine windows on the roof (like my factory fiberglass top or the SWs) but wasn't able to find anything.
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

This one by Exmoor has alpine windows like the Tickford, but who knows how the quality compares to the others.

50TH ANNIVERSARY - 90" SV HOOD BLACK, EXT203-1 - Exmoor Trim USA
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:09 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
The new Rovers North top came in today. I just took it out of the package and man does it look nice. Very nice fabric and quality looks quite good. Will take pics and let you know how well it goes on when I get my hard top off and install my bench seats and get this new top on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, bestop, nas, top