Best Workshop Manuals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Best Workshop Manuals

Just bought a 95 D90. My wife finally gave in. Just curious if anyone has some lessons learned on shop manuals. I have seen everything from a Haynes manual to manuals on CD. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, Maggie (my Defender) makes a whining noise between 40 and 50 mph. Is this normal or does it mean immenent transmission failure? I found out yesterday just how much is between me and transfer case when installing satellite radio underneath the cubby. The noise is not terrible. She has 60,000 miles.

Glad to finally be a member of the club. I've waited 8 years to own a LR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

the whining will be your wife when see see how much time and money you spend on it.
welcome to the club Neil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
the whining will be your wife when see see how much time and money you spend on it.
welcome to the club Neil

LOL.....LOL!!!

That's pretty good Jimmy.

I haven't seen a manual that I thought really covered a NAS Defender as well as I would like. I have one that you can get from Rover North or Rovers Down South and it is a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Welcome Neil. Good luck keeping both your Defender and your wife happy.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Just bought a 95 D90. My wife finally gave in. Just curious if anyone has some lessons learned on shop manuals. I have seen everything from a Haynes manual to manuals on CD. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, Maggie (my Defender) makes a whining noise between 40 and 50 mph. Is this normal or does it mean immenent transmission failure? I found out yesterday just how much is between me and transfer case when installing satellite radio underneath the cubby. The noise is not terrible. She has 60,000 miles.

Glad to finally be a member of the club. I've waited 8 years to own a LR.
Welcome aboard! I have the Land Rover issue manual from Rovers North that is specific to the NAS Defenders, although it doesn't cover everything in the best detail it is about the best you can get. I also have the 1000 page generic Land Rover issue Defender manual, it covers most of the NAS basics but it lacks as far as electrical and the V8 but, it covers all diesels. I would go with the NAS manual from Rovers North.

As for the whinning, it is pretty normal to have some coming from the t-case. I believe the preload on the input gear bearings has to do with much of the whinning. I know of a few defenders that have gone for years without an issue that have whinny gear boxes. Since it is new to you I would just be careful that it does not change in pitch or noise level, that would be a good indication that something is wrong.
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:25 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Take the opportunity to change all the fluids. There can be confusion over what to put in the transmission.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
manual