BEST TOP tinted windows? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

BEST TOP tinted windows?

I have been searching for Tinted windows for my factory soft top, I have checked out google and the forums here but have turned up really nothing, Can you tint the plastic windows or do you need to buy ones that already come tinted? I'm new to this and have no clue, I have only had regular glass tinted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2006, 11:05 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

something like this http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=6314
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:56 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I wouldn't mind possibly having some tint on my sliders, but not sure if tinting is a good idea on the Soft top windows, based upon what was said in this post. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...highlight=tint

However, here a link discussing tinting:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...highlight=tint

Ade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM
redrover

Ade the articles you are refering to are about glass tinting. Ben wants tinted vinyl. Ben call Bestop and see if they have some you could buy off the roll. You could then have any auto upholstry shop sew your new vinyl into old zip out pannels. The tinted soft tops that D.C. jeep uses are way nice. JP
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

They are available from Land rover. Tell the guy to check the accessories catalog.
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Dark tint windows

You won't get anywhere talking to Bestop. It sounds like you want a dark charcoal tint window. I havn't offered the dark tint on the windows because it is hell to see the traffic at dusk that don't have their headlights on. I feel that that is a safety issue. You can probably find a local trim shop that can order a dark tint sheet of double polished vinyl and sew them up for you. But it is not cheap. The price of that tint has tripled and can be hard to locate at times. Maybe you should wear darker sunglasses.
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

If you have a good, strong sewing machine, you can sew your own in. You can buy the tinted vinyl online; also check around at local upholstery suppliers and auto upholstery shops for a roll. Remove the old windows first with a stitch removal tool (cheap and easy) and use them as templates to cut your new windows.

My roommate recently rebuilt my early-94 top with new windows, repaired zippers, and improved sealing. It's totally kick ass and fits a lot better. If your top doesn't fit right, sew in slightly larger windows and that will help.

I'll post some pictures of the rehab when I get a chance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:07 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

thanks yall. I have driven off-road with tint before, My LR3 had 25% on all the back and side windows except the front pass. and driver windows were done in 35% for visibility. I had no problem with this set-up
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:43 PM
redrover

Christopher, Would you- could you- offer a 3 window package for us badger owners? Cost? Thanks JP
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Window tint

JP,

How is your top doing? It must be 3-4 years old now. I can look into the cost of doing the darker tint for our tops and also a replacement window kit in dark tint as well. We have always been able to handle most custom requests for our products. Give me a call or send an email to info@badgercoachworks.com .
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:20 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

i checked with my local dealer as posted above ,and they said 509.00!!!!!!!. I found it online for 400 and bookmarked the page, but that comp died. How much would a sheet of the tinted vinyl cost?

Follow-up Post:

or could bagercoachworks make a set? I just don't want to pay 509.00 for the windows, but i do like the idea of having an extra set so i don't scratch up on off-road
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

FYI - I know this won't work for the soft top windows but it might be a good resource for those wanting to tint the glass windows:
Email from www.snaptint.com
Jay,
You are right, we donít have patterns for that vehicle. We sure do sell tint stock. What would be best if you measure out the windows you need. Give us a height and width of rectangles you need, and we can cut the windows to a size you can use to save you time. You then apply the film and trim off the excess.

Make sense?

Regards,
SnapTint.com Support
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

RoverConnection - not sure of their reputation, has a tinted window kit...

http://www.roverconnection.com/Def%2.../dffulltop.htm

Pricey though: "LRNA71740W Window Kit, Tinted (set of 3) $409 NEW"
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

That is the genuine part for that kit. I know this because I built a guy with a 94 a 95 besttop and he wanted tinted so I bought the top piecemeal. Replacement canvas, the tinted windows, belt rails, rear bar etc. It actually saved him $100 or so over buying a full replacement (but he did not get new alpine bar or snap rails for above the door).

Ron
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

how dark is the LR tinted window set?
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:48 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I bought some removable vinyl window tint film from the improvements catelog. I put it on some plexiglass windows to see how it would do and was fairly impressed. This might work on the plastic windows too. It was less than $20 for a big roll of it. It just takes some patience to apply it and cut it to fit, but it is not too bad if you spray it down with water mixed with baby shampoo, then squeegee it out with a credit card or window tint tool. It might be worth a shot, seeing as how it is so cheap.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...ept%5Fid=10230

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
window, windows