Best thing I've done yet! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2006, 06:57 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Best thing I've done yet!

I just got back from a 2-day class with Bill Burke in Moab and I could not be happier. I'm not a hard core 4-wheeler & like many I've got a family, a business etc and finding time to dedicate to off-roading can be hard. I've always known that I don't know what I don't know if you know what I mean and to that end decided to take Bill's course. I learned more in those 2 days in terms of technique, vehicle capability and general off-road philosophy than in all the 6 years I've lived in CO. The fact that Bill drives a D90 was a real bonus - I was able to pick his brain on what works & what doesn't and why. The course took us over stuff that I NEVER thought I could do in my stock D90. That really helped my confidence and made me a much better off-roader since I now have a much better sense of what the vehicle can do. Bill was great - extremely professional friendly & knowledgeable. Once I let go of what I thought I should be doing and listened to Bill and followed his commands I was amazed at what the D90 could do! Our group had a tricked out Rubicon, H3, new FJ, Power Wagon, Bill's D90, my stock D90, and a Tacoma (yes a stock Tacoma - a lot of skid plate damage but the rear locker made a huge difference). I really enjoyed seeing the full spectrum of vehicles perform.
The hard core wheelers on this board may not see the value in this but if you're like me - you love your D90 but haven't had the time and/or want to learn a lot so you don't total your vehicle and have fun, look into taking Bill's class. I can post pics if anyone wants to see them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2006, 08:18 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

post the pics. it's always nice to see that stuff...
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johare
The hard core wheelers on this board may not see the value in this but if you're like me - you love your D90 but haven't had the time and/or want to learn a lot so you don't total your vehicle and have fun, look into taking Bill's class.
I'm not one of the hard core wheelers you are talking about, but no one should disagree. Whether it be off-roading or road racing, everyone wants to know what mods are best to make the car go faster, articulate more etc, but really, the best first mod is to upgrade the driver - by taking a class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2006, 09:56 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I'm not one of the hard core wheelers you are talking about, but no one should disagree. Whether it be off-roading or road racing, everyone wants to know what mods are best to make the car go faster, articulate more etc, but really, the best first mod is to upgrade the driver - by taking a class.

Totally agree Jim and Jay, I have been out with Bill a few times now and would like to take one of his advanced classes. He can show you what can be done with finesse and some minor upgrades.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Guys, it blew me away at what the D90 can do with proper technique. I found out that I had so many bad habits that were inhibiting my abilities and my FUN which is why I'm out there in the first place. I have a new appreciation for the D90 & off-roading in general. As Bill said, its a thinking sport - and that is so true. I'll definitely take his advanced class in the future. And I'll have all the proper gear and know WHY I need them thanks to him "sharing knowledge" as he said.
I'll post pics soon as my buddy took them and I'm waiting for him to send them to me.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
so what did you learn you were doing or not doing?
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

If I was stopped on a steep hill, i had a bad habit of using the E-brake to get going by pulling up on the e-brake, taking my foot of the brake & onto the gas. i learned to not use the e-brake and instead let the clutch out with my foot still on the brake, then slide it off onto the gas at the right time. This sounds simple and is something i normally do on mild hills but i was surprised at how well it worked on very steep inclines.
On steep decents I was threshhold braking way to much (clutch in riding the brake). To me it just seemed counterintuitive that if you are trying to control gravity on loose ledgy stuff, why would you want to be in gear? Once i let go of that notion I realized I had much more control of the vehicle even though it may be decending a little faster than i was comfortable with.
After stalling in a techncal area, starting in 1st gear 4-low with the clutch out. I'm not sure if that's a D90 specific capability but i did not know i could do that and it makes for a much smoother restart.
There were some areas where we were leaning over more than i ever have and way more than i though the vehicle could without tipping over and the D90 did just fine - big increase in that confidence.
Learned to stop being a control freak and trust the spotter. On the last obstacle section of day 2 we had very little room for eror as we had to negotiate very large boulders & off-camber stuff. By that pointI was so comfortable with Bill's spotting that i had my focus locked on his direction and let go of my worry of "what if this" and "what about that." I was the only one who made it through that section completely clean.
Learned that the D90 has a very strong idle and to know that it takes quite a bit to stall the vehicle. We did some testing where we'd let it idle up some fairly steep climbs - feet on the floor & it did just great!
learned how to cross a deep crack - never done that before and while it look intimidating it was really fun.

So I was able to learn a lot in an environment that was a lot safer, if you will, than trying to find a trail and wing it.
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Let see some pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
A few of us had the chance to spend the weekend wheeling with Bill here in the Northeast two years ago. I'd have to say it's time well spent and one of the best investments you can make for your wheeling experience and knowledge. The pictures from our event are here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2416

It is definitely a confidence builder and I wouldn't hesitate to attend another trip of his. You learn so much no matter what level you think you are.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Bill B. attended MAR 2004,2005 (cant make it this year) but he always has another trick up his sleeve and you can learn alot by just hangin' close by...
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Thumbs up

Ok, here are some pictures:
http://web.mac.com/jayohare/iWeb/Test/Welcome.html
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:16 PM
kevb
Kevin Barrett
2005 90 TD5

Hey Jay, It was great meeting you guys and wheelin with you. It was nice to have such a variety of vehicles but your D90 is really clean for its age, nice one. It was cool to see everyone progress both in ability and confidence over the 2 days, of course it helps if its Bills truck and not my own.

I totally agree with your comments on Bill Burke (clearly, or we wouldnt have come back for more). I can recomend Bills "Holidays in Moab" trip over New Year. It involves less formal instruction and more time drivng the excellent trails around Moab. http://www.bb4wa.com/trips.htm

Maybe we could hit some trails next time we are Stateside? I will forward our photos soon.

Regards and hi to all

Kev

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johare
I was the only one who made it through that section completely clean. .
That was most certainly your moment of glory, nice job
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:55 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Thanks Kev! Great meeting you guys as well. Nelson took over 300 pictures which we can send you on DVD. His camera and photo expertise are fantastic so I think you'll really enjoy them. I hope you made it to Denver ok and are enjoying the rest of your time in the states if you're not back already. Please say hi to Lindy (sp?) and check out some of the pics:http://web.mac.com/jayohare/iWeb/Test/Welcome.html

Jay
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:15 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Great job on the pics. Some of them looked like Kane Creek and the crack looked like the trail with the dinosaur tracks, can't remember the name of it.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:10 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I went with a friend of mine about a year ago to one of Bill's Moab classes. My friend's wife had to bail at the last minute to my good fortune. The class was absolutely incredible. I can't wait to try another one. Here are the pictures from several people who went.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/64646650@N00/
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM
kevb
Kevin Barrett
2005 90 TD5

next time i would love to bring my own 90........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KANNKU OFF ROAD 27TH NOV 05 041.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	7054   Click image for larger version

Name:	KANNKU OFF ROAD 27TH NOV 05 016.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	7055  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat