Best GPS unit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

Best GPS unit

I know there are a lot of threads on this topic, however, I think it is a topic that changes constantly. The maps and tech. are always improving, and I want to make a good decision. I am looking to purchase a GPS unit for my defender, but don't know which one to get. I am wanting a unit that will have streets and highways as well as back country roads and trails. What are your recommendations? Best places to purchase? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Any Nuvi that floats your boat. The reason for using Garmin is that the map format was cracked many years ago and there is a huge community producing free maps including trail maps. For pricing, just search online for the best pricing.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I've got the Nuvi 500 its waterproof so if you are like me and run the truck with the top off over the summer a little rain won't be a problem. The Nuvi 550 is their other waterproof one and comes with topo maps.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I love my new Garmin 62st. I took it on my Utah trip and it did great. The auto mount kit is awesome. The suction held to the windshield over all kinds of rough terrain. It's the perfect fit for a Defender.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...7625240335210/

You can use Garmin's Topo or if you drive in Colorado, Utah, Montana, or Wyoming, I highly recommend the (free) topo sets that this guy puts together:

http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I agree with Garmin too, but I have the Garmin software on my blackberry. I got it a year ago for around $50 on special and now I always have my turn by turn GPS with me. Integrates with the BB address book and google search too.

You have to have cell reception for it to work though (pulls maps on the fly)
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I really love my Garmin 276c. It is the bottom model of the marine style navi units. It doesn't have all that weird crap on it like road signs and making things look nice and in perspective. It is basically how you would translate old paper mapping system to a digital device. For me thats all I need and I can read it super easy.
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I love my new Garmin 62st. I took it on my Utah trip and it did great. The auto mount kit is awesome. The suction held to the windshield over all kinds of rough terrain. It's the perfect fit for a Defender.

You can use Garmin's Topo or if you drive in Colorado, Utah, Montana, or Wyoming, I highly recommend the (free) topo sets that this guy puts together:

http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html
I'll second the recommendation of the 60-series Garmin. I have a 60CSx. I prefer it to the Nuvis. There are a lot more maps available (often for free), it's more rugged, and it doesn't look like an iPhone. I've used it in the mountains in Mexico, near the Guatemala border, and in the Philippines. Built in compass sucks, though - supposed to work when you're not moving, but I haven't seen it read accurately yet. The GPS-based compass works fine.
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
I'll second the recommendation of the 60-series Garmin. I have a 60CSx. I prefer it to the Nuvis. There are a lot more maps available (often for free.....
All maps that work on teh 60 series will also work on any Nuvi.

The reason for getting a Nuvi is that the screen is much larger and easier to read, they are much cheaper and include routable maps for free...

A 60 or 62 series are great for hiking, but not the greatest choice for a car.
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I got the tomtom for the iphone. It isn't bad but I would prefer to have something in the car at all times
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I got the tomtom for the iphone. It isn't bad but I would prefer to have something in the car at all times
You could grab the GPS dock add-on for it. Works a bit better. I'm not always thrilled with my phone's built in GPS sensor
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah I got the doc too. I guess I just want something unrelaated to the phone
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:08 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
All maps that work on teh 60 series will also work on any Nuvi.

The reason for getting a Nuvi is that the screen is much larger and easier to read, they are much cheaper and include routable maps for free...

A 60 or 62 series are great for hiking, but not the greatest choice for a car.
I didn't know that. On my 60, you can copy files directly to the flash card, which is especially useful if you don't have access to a Windows machine (although I've heard they're doing great things with Wine these days). Can you access the Nuvi in the same way? Just curious on how close the two are.
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
Can you access the Nuvi in the same way? Just curious on how close the two are.
All current model units are based on the "Nuvi" OS, unlike the "old" 60 series style. This allow direct copying of files to both internal memory or to the card. Most new ones have large internal memory. For instance the 62 series has 1.7 GB free on internal memory.
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

What model works well for making tracks for new trails? Something that might work with Ggogle Earth or similar?
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoffroad View Post
What model works well for making tracks for new trails? Something that might work with Ggogle Earth or similar?
I use my Garmin 305 for that
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have the Nuvi 760. Have the euro card in it as well. That thing took Bobeck and I all over the Uk last year.
I like that model because if you live in a metropolitan area where the radio stations broadcast a traffic signal the Nuvi will warn you of upcoming traffic congestion and actually tell you to get off and suggests the best exit to stick to your original route. It also transmits in FM so you can synch it with your stereo and hear it a bit better (kind of important for those of us tooling around in diesels). The "where am I ? where is my car" is similar to the "find ship" button on marine GPS units. I have mine setup to talk to me in a british female voice.....

Product Description

Garmin's nüvi 700 series brings two exciting new features -- multi-destination routing and, "Where am I?/Where's my car?" -- to its popular pocket-sized GPS navigator lineup. As with all nüvis, you get Garmin reliability, the fast satellite lock of an integrated high-sensitivity receiver, a slim, pocket-sized design with a gorgeous display, an easy, intuitive interface, and detailed NAVTEQ maps for the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico with more than 6 million name-searchable points of interest. All of the 700-series navigators also feature a rich array of features including spoken directions in real street names, MP3 player and photo viewer, and an FM transmitter that will play voice prompts, MP3s, audio books, and more, directly through your vehicle's stereo system.The nüvi 760 and 770 add integrated traffic receivers and Bluetooth capability for hands-free calling. The nüvi 770 adds maps for Europe. The nüvi 780 adds enhanced MSN direct content capability..

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I have mine setup to talk to me in a british female voice.....
she nags, complains and then sulks??
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
took a while to get used to "take slip road on right"- ie frigging exit ramp. nags quite a bit when you don't follow directions,then gets demanding, then just gives up and says recalculating

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

One thing that all of the new Garmins have that I'm a huge fan of is the wireless waypoint exchange. This was very useful on the recent trip I took in Utah. We'd make a navigation stop and I'd pull out the paper topo map and plot a series of waypoints and then key them into the GPS:

Then, I'd hop back in the truck and wirelessly send those waypoints over to my buddy's Garmin Oregon that he'd mounted in his truck. It worked like a champ.

The way I see it: the 62st works fine for vehicle navigation but the Nuvis suck for hiking. If it's never going to leave your vehicle, get a Nuvi; the touch screen is definitely nice. If you want to take it on hikes or go geocaching, go for the 62st.

If you're into ham radio and APRS, definitely go for the 62-series over the Nuvi: the 62's have a NMEA interface whereas all (most?) of the Nuvis don't.
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you are hiking, get both.... A Nuvi costs nothing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gps