Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:17 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Are you planning on driving it or wheeling it or what?
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
You'll get a lot of different opinions on this. There's all kinds of debates on the web about D1 vs D2 so I won't go into that, just search it. I will speak to D1's. I'm seeing(on forums) a lot of 98's with all kinds of EVAP, misfire, and idling issues; and I have experienced it myself. Plainly put, I think the age of the vehicle, Advanced EVAP, OBDII status make these vehicles increasingly difficult and expensive to keep on the road legally. Couple that with the FACT that so many of the "OEM" replacement parts are absolute garbage and it becomes even harder to keep a later year compliant. My '98 is dead. ECU is toast, EVAP and idle issues here and there. My '96 daily driver is going strong so far. Been driven most of its life on Regular gas and it doesn't throw any codes. I just bought a '95 to make my primary wheeling vehicle for a few reasons. 1) Its OBDI and NEVER has to be tested for emissions. 2) Its OBDI and since it never gets tested I can slap any engine I damned well please in there at any time. 3) The stock setup is simple, stupid simple. The ECU is INSIDE the truck away from water and salt. There's no Advanced EVAP to go haywire. Only two O2's to worry about. 4) I've seen many 94-95 D1's still running strong with 2-300K miles on them. They just seem to hold up. So IMO a fairly well maintained 94/95 D1 that is fairly rust free is the way to go.
Solid points...and makes me want to source a 94/95 to build (again). Damnit.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Dang fellas! SO much great information here! I just scanned through every post, but feel like I need to map out everyone's advice in some sort of venn diagram. You guys are awesome and such a resource. Primary use would just be a family driver. I've been looking at LR3's for my wife, drove one at the dealership yesterday, but like the look at obviously price point of the Disco too. I thought I had heard at some point that there were some notable bad years for head gaskets and such so it's great to hear everyone's experience. I definitely like the look of the 04 most with the updates in the headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Dang fellas! SO much great information here! I just scanned through every post, but feel like I need to map out everyone's advice in some sort of venn diagram. You guys are awesome and such a resource. Primary use would just be a family driver. I've been looking at LR3's for my wife, drove one at the dealership yesterday, but like the look at obviously price point of the Disco too. I thought I had heard at some point that there were some notable bad years for head gaskets and such so it's great to hear everyone's experience. I definitely like the look of the 04 most with the updates in the headlights.
Frankly, they are all crap. GEMS had valve and head gasket issues, DII have a myriad of issues, with the 03 and especially 04 4.6 being prone to engine failure, among the flying apart front drive shafts, three amigos, overheating, rusting frame. 94/95 14CUX are probably the best of the bunch, but you are talking about 20 year old trucks that leak like sieves, are no cheaper to fix than defenders, and where a nice one is worth $2500 on a good day.

Did I mention they all leak and rust terribly?
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I would start with intended application, bear in mind if you are talking family hauler the LR3 (D3) is light years better than either-and the price point may balance out quickly if you end up replacing a 4.6 in a Dii.
Good luck!
R-
Ray
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Get the one with boosts.
Hah. My neighbor has a '97 with Boosts. Also, FWIW, my '96 D1 had zero issues the 4 years I owned it.
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:56 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
I'm gonna suggest, you are looking for an 03/04 with a 4.0 swap and a TW front shaft. If the facelift and reliability as a DD are your primary concerns that is.
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:03 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I had a '95 D1 that was a great truck; wish I still had..........Did HITR, UT w/ open diffs more than once!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2185.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	99315   Click image for larger version

Name:	HITR053.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	99316  

'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:31 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Gotta put my 0.02$ in for the '04 DII. I certainly have a love-hate relationship with it but lately this truck (my wife's) has been more reliable then my honda accord DD! In several years of ownership I've redone the steering components (steering box, track bar, joints) and rebuilt the driveshaft (2x), but that's it aside from regular maintenance stuff.

Whereas in the last 2 months my honda has needed a tranny rebuild and is now having idle problems.

Had to rebuild the DII's front DS again last weekend after it started making the dreaded chirping noise and at that point in time the only road worthy vehicle was the D90! Crazy!

On second thought skip the disco and buy a 90.

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2014 09:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

Did I mention they all leak and rust terribly?
I forgot to reiterate that they all definitely leak like crazy. But that's par for the course.
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Everyone that is saying one year is better than the other is just splitting hairs. They all are pretty much junk at this point. Diagnosing a 14CUX truck is a dark art. DII's are the nicest vehicles overall, but they tons of issues. Head gaskets on a DII should be part of the 60k service. In my opinion, the biggest issue is age. 14CUX trucks are 20 years old at this point, so even if you find a nice garage queen, all of the plastic bits are going to deteriorate and look like car after a few years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat