best cross country route? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

best cross country route?

So i'll be driving out to Nevada from MD in a few weeks and need to decide, is it better to take 80 or 70?

How bad of an idea is it to take a defender 2700 miles across country?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2008, 11:39 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I took my 94 from Philly to Moab (and back). it was a tad cramped between the wife and I and all our stuff for camping and visiting places for 2.5 weeks but it was fine.

Personally I would go 70. Pretty straight forward shot across the country.

BTW.. When you doing the "never-ending drive across Kansas" portion of the trip, dont fall for the "See the worlds largest prairie dog" or "largest tarantula" signs you'll see for 4 hours. Both places had long shut down so dont get your hopes up like we had.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Search "Janey"
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
BTW.. When you doing the "never-ending drive across Kansas" portion of the trip, dont fall for the "See the worlds largest prairie dog" or "largest tarantula" signs you'll see for 4 hours. Both places had long shut down so dont get your hopes up like we had.
You got "your hopes up" about seeing the worlds largest prairie dog and/or tarantula?? That endless drive across Kansas is bad but good lord man have some dignity
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
I took my 94 from Philly to Moab (and back). it was a tad cramped between the wife and I and all our stuff for camping and visiting places for 2.5 weeks but it was fine.

Personally I would go 70. Pretty straight forward shot across the country.

darn...

from the map it looked like 80 was a better root, bc i'm heading past slc... if going to moab, 70 is defn. the better choice!
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I know its tempting to take 80 because you dont have to drop down from SLC to get to 70, but look further on and you'll see that 80 is a toll road almost all the way from Chicago to PA. Additionally, after you drop down from SLC, you can take the cutoff from Spanish Fork to Green River and drive through some of the most beautiful scenery on this earth. Once you take that cutoff, you're only 50 miles from Moab if you're into that sort of thing...

I also love the drive on 70 through the Rockies, 80 takes the flattest route across and is pretty underwhelming.

Also, you should stop at Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ in KC. I've never had better, and I'd drive 70 just to eat there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Jim,

You've heard of Jack Stack eh?

That place is definitely my favorite restaurant. The original (and best) place was like 10 minutes from my old house.

If anyone wants some of that BBQ, let me know and I will take you!!
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I've taken both and I would take 70 over 80 any day. The only thing worth stopping for on 80 is the world's largest truck stop. Plus 80 takes you through Iowa which from the road appeared to be the most painful state I had ever gone through. Made Kansas look like the Caribbean.

Side note, maybe this is only my defender but if I recall there is a stretch somewhere on 70 btw. Denver and Moab where I was barely making it between gas stops. Anyone have this issue? Maybe I'm thinking of a stretch from Montana to Idaho.
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh yeah, I got hooked on that place when I was at a school at Fort Leavenworth. Which one is the original? I've been to one on 95th & Metcalf, and another in a downtown location that looks like an old railroad station.

Incidentally, that was also the trip when I ran into a guy named Kermit with a NAS 110 tdi conversion and became wholly sucked into the Rover thing. I had been ruminating about them for awhile, but the tdi thing is what pushed me over the edge, sanity wise.

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
You got "your hopes up" about seeing the worlds largest prairie dog and/or tarantula?? That endless drive across Kansas is bad but good lord man have some dignity
When you're driving in Kansas for what seems like forever and a half, the signs were entertaining. We'd giggle evey time we'd see one. Finally when we came to the exit for the "worlds largest 2000lbs prairie dog", we had no choice.. we had to get off and see what scam was going on after the hours of hype. We pulled in and the place was long closed! Not only that but the building itself was in no way shape or form going to contain a regular prairie dog, let alone a 1 ton monster. I mean if there had actually been a real prairie dog that size, all he would have to do is walk right out through the wall.

A let down on many levels. The next time we drove through Kansas 2 years later, the signs had changed to the "worlds largest tarantula - 700lbs" or some silly weight like that.. we lost track of which exit we were looking for and never got to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

I'm going to be towing a small uhual trailer behind the defender, i'm heading from maryland west to reno, so 80 seems the most direct root...

I don't mind the flats i'd rather not stress the defender and make it to nevada with as few problems as possible!

I should also note the only reason i'm driving at all is bc my dogs would not survive a plane flight out there, so i'll have the two dogs and my younger brother with me!

also any advice on what spare parts I should bring?
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Good god man, at least cross 70 and go north from Denver to 80.

Old March 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Good god man, at least cross 70 and go north from Denver to 80.
I know, I want to do it badly, but i need to be practical, I'm leaving march 27th, and have to be at the new job march 31st... The wife will kill me if anything happens to the dogs, if i die, she's ok with that.
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Cool trip. I'm hoping to do similar by bike this year, but to SLC and then Phoenix after that. Then to the coast before meandering home. I'll be taking 70W and don't know what on the return.
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
You are going to wish you had cruise control! Especially going through Nebraska. What a tough state to go through...

Have you looked into pet travel services? Ground transport of course.

Have you worked out the cost in gas, hotel (1 or 2 days), food, oil change and tune up (before and after), along with your time and potential unknown cost/aggravation versus shipping the Defender and personals, plane ticket plus a ground transport for the pets?

I also say 70 over 80 if that's the only choice!
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
You are going to wish you had cruise control! Especially going through Nebraska. What a tough state to go through...

Have you looked into pet travel services? Ground transport of course.

Have you worked out the cost in gas, hotel (1 or 2 days), food, oil change and tune up (before and after), along with your time and potential unknown cost/aggravation versus shipping the Defender and personals, plane ticket plus a ground transport for the pets?

I also say 70 over 80 if that's the only choice!
yes, the dogs cannot be put into cages for extended periods of time, I have to stop and let them out every three hours or so. I don't know if we are going to stop or not, we might, we are looking into pet friendly hotels...

i know it seems crazy, but this move was my choice, and i have to absolutely 100% make sure the dogs make it there safely, if i don't my wife will kill me, then my family, and then anyone who knew them, i'm not joking on this matter either.

also from the looks of it the 80 route is 3 hours shorter as well, I'd be all for going through CO, but i also want to hedge my bet against any storms on 70 holding me up going through the front range. There won't be sight seeing on this trip.
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Letting them out every 3 hours will work nicely since you'll need to fill up about every 3 hours with the D90.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Sounds like you have it worked out. You could do majority of the cross-country relay.

Good luck and safe driving!
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Letting them out every 3 hours will work nicely since you'll need to fill up about every 3 hours with the D90.
I was reading the janey cross country story and snorted to myself when i though "hey at least i'll get 40 miles more to a tank!"...

I'm thinking about ordering a water pump, and maybe finding an alternator, but really other then that there won't be much i can do on the road to get back on the road...
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

For a real adventure look at www.transamtrail.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat