benefit? of skinny tires... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

benefit? of skinny tires...

Yea I know the skinny -vs- wide debate has been beat to death and honestly I'm planning on going wide once this set wears out... currently running 255/85-16 on standard rims and no spacers.

...went wheeling over the weekend(first wheeling this year!! ) with a friend who has a jeep with nice wide tires... heading home his was completely caked in mud and while mine was a little dirty it looked more like I just hadn't washed it in a few weeks rather than like I'd been out playing in the mud....

Part of the difference of course was that he had to spin his tires a lot more than I did... (he has an open front and limited slip back where I've got a tru-track/detroit combo)

I've still got to decide if that's a benefit or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Hijack: Since you have a true trac up front, I just put mine in this weekend. I am getting more desire to track straight than I thought I would have. I can really feel it in the steering wheel if I am accelerating around a slight curve. Does this sound normal?
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Scott,

Normal and desirable as it gets rid of the wandering feeling from the castor changes due to lifting the suspension.
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I don't know about the "more than I thought" part...

but yea... I get the pulling straight too. I understand that how much this happens is adjustable?
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Right-y-o...

If you have two tires with the same weight at the same pressure...the contact patches will be the same size (area). A narrower tire will have a longer, narrower contact patch. This works better than the short, wide one of the same size. Follow?

However, if you run at a lower pressure, you will do better than either. Having a wider tire allows you to run at a lower "safe" pressure. If you take both tyres and run them at the lowest safe pressure, the wide one will be at a lower pressure and then it will do better.

Most people don't see this as the average recreational off roader does not lower the tire pressure the correct amount, if at all.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Thanks!
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:38 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
I'm planning on going wide once this set wears out... currently running 255/85-16
Then how much is wide ?

Remember me one guy on a french based forum
last week promoting the use of 205/85:

http://www.landroverfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=686
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

well... wider than stock in any case... I haven't made a final decision yet on which wheels and tires to go with. I sure wish there was a way to try out different combo's and see what I like best. I figured I'd at least go with the 285/75 that so many seem to use but right now I haven't ruled out 305s or even 315s for something that would be a little taller too...

any of these options wouldn't have the "benefit" of hiding so far under the truck and keeping it so clean...

Given the rocks and terrain here in Colorado I think the aired down wider tire is a better wheeling option in any case (at least from my limited understanding of the physics involved in tire deformation and traction)
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Right-y-o...

If you have two tires with the same weight at the same pressure...the contact patches will be the same size (area). A narrower tire will have a longer, narrower contact patch. This works better than the short, wide one of the same size. Follow?

I have to disagree with you. The wider tire will have a greater contact patch area but with less pressure per square inch. Avon did an interesting study in this regard. This, in my opinion, is one reason why a skinny tire seems to do better in some mud situations. Granted the contact patch is longer but it also has more pressure per square inch helping the tire reach the bottom of the mud instead of running on the top. The same theory is true in the snow. A skinny tire has a easer time reaching the bottom to find the traction. Of course all of this changes as the sidewall configuration changes. The stiffer the sidewall the less the tire deflects and the smaller the contact patch. All tires, however, change as you raise or lower the air pressure differently. The skinny tire will react differently than the wider tire. If my above reasoning is correct it would support the earlier comment on the truck with the skinny tire having a easier time in the mud. You still have a lot of factors that go into the above statements and I do not believe a blanket statement, one way or another, can be made on which is better skinny vs wide.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

well... sort of...

on a hard surface he's right the size of the contact patch will be the same at the same tire pressure just the shape will be different with one being long and the other wide. In mud and snow this gets a little fuzzy because the surface is deforming more than the tire and you do end up with more contact and lower pressure on wider tires which accounts for the "float" effect
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

like my 35 12.50s
And I love you too
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Within the overall limitations of the topic of this conversation, wider is always better.

Your welcome, have a great day!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:26 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Within the overall limitations of the topic of this conversation, wider is always better.

Your welcome, have a great day!
unless, of course, your goal is to stay as clean as possible
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Here are some pics of mine with 305/70R16 BFG MT KM's. It has some really beefy 1.5" spacers on it in these pictures. It may look a little wide for some, but the turning radius is great with the spacers.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=12034&page=2
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I want 38.5 x11x16 Boggers.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958
I have to disagree with you. The wider tire will have a greater contact patch area but with less pressure per square inch. Avon did an interesting study in this regard.
As someone else said... The contact patch size is weight divided by internal pressure, almost exactly. I've done a lot of tire load testing in my job and have measured a lot of contact patches. There is some variation as you go really low and the tire structure takes some weight itself, but for this discussion, the difference is mute.

It is the shape that makes the difference in the side by side comparison.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tire, tires