Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 25th, 2014, 04:59 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Battery switch outside the battery box suggestions

What do you guys recommend for a switch that can be mounted outside the battery box (so I can just reach under and switch it on/off) that can handle the amps for a winch?

Merry Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2014, 07:31 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

What winch are you running? Do you know what amp draw is at full load? I've got a warn M8000 on my truck and they quote 435 amps running at full 8K capacity. For my purposes a Blue Sea 9003e will handle 350A continuous and 600A intermittent and do the job nicely.

If your winch draws more than that then the Blue Sea 3000 battery disconnect switch will handle 600A constant and 900A intermittent if you want to be extra safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 25th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
just get a batter switch with removable key like were fitted to NAS 110's. You can get get them anywhere from Harbor Freight up to Hella.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2014, 12:18 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i use a 500amp battery isolator solenoid. they are cheap and have the added benefit of being able to be turned on/off with only 800mA of current. this means that you can put it under the bonnet and wire the cutoff switch in your cab.

two notes about this setup:
1. the life of the solenoid contacts are virtually infinite because 99.99% of the time they are not being opened and closed under load. the only time the solenoid is opened under load is the emergency situation which happens rarely.
2. they should be mounted so that the contacts are pointing up. this allows gravity to assist in blowout during an emergency stop.
Old December 25th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I use a marine disconnect similar to a Blue Sea that has multiple positions so I can choose all-off, truck only, or truck and winch. That way the winch can't be operated when parked on a daily basis by someone up to mischief (my controller is still on the front of truck...)
Old December 25th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I bought a metal (not plastic) battery cut off switch from Jegs and mounted it in the same location as a NAS110.

Old December 25th, 2014, 02:57 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Thanks guys, a lot of great options to work out. I'll work this out and post back.
Old December 25th, 2014, 03:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
just get a batter switch with removable key like were fitted to NAS 110's. You can get get them anywhere from Harbor Freight up to Hella.
The "key" type are probably better for security/etc, but I actually prefer just the "lever" type that sit a little more flush and I don't have to remember where I put the key once I take it out. I have one on the NAS and one on the 130.

This looks similar to what I have:
http://www.performanceplusconnection...mIndexDetail/B
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
battery, switch