Banning Assault type weapons to keep them out of Mexico ??? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Cheesy, but priceless

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartman
Just wondering, the recovered firearms from Mexico, that are supposedly from the US. Are these semi-automatic rifles, or fully automatic? I would think with all the money the cartels have, they could purchase a butt load of fully automatic rifles from a third world country. What % of the 9-10 firearms are Semi-Automatic rifles, what % are pistols?

Is there one particular State these weapons are coming from?

Sorry for the rant, not attacking you personally Jeep Rescue.
I'm not offended one bit. The weapons come from all over, but the border states are the most prevalent. Surprisingly, semi-autos are the primary weapon = CHEAP & EASY to get. The cartels do have access to full-autos, but semi's are MUCH cheaper. The actual breakdown of what type of weapon in that 90% is close hold, but my guess is only about 3% would be full-auto US legal-purchased weapons, and then an even split between rifles and pistolas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mexico should legalize guns for its citizens to protect themselves, not try to get the US to ban guns.
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2009, 12:20 AM
MEUSOC
BRYAN
NAS 110, 95 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
but my guess is only about 3% would be full-auto US legal-purchased weapons, and then an even split between rifles and pistolas.
why would you even throw a number like that out there? on a guess? seriously, do you think the cartels are trying to be thrifty? It is well known that the cartels have purchased serious firepower from Belgium, Columbia, and Russian sources. you are starting to sound like Holder...

p.s. S/F
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEUSOC
why would you even throw a number like that out there? on a guess? seriously, do you think the cartels are trying to be thrifty? It is well known that the cartels have purchased serious firepower from Belgium, Columbia, and Russian sources. you are starting to sound like Holder...

p.s. S/F
You are thinking too small and narrow minded. OFF COURSE the cartels are buying full-auto weapons from overseas. They get them from all over. It is MUCH easier and CHEAPER to get them from the US. All someone needs to do is drive south across the border without even being checked. ALL FLIGHTS into Mexico - even civilian are stopped and searched, and ALL waterborne traffic is stopped and searched, not to mention having to cross the heavily patrolled Caribbean. The US border is the path of least resistance.

All I'll say is that I have studied the Mexican Drug War for two years now, and work closely with people in the fight.

I also own a ton of firepower myself and have a CCW permit. I am not anti-gun - just someone who knows what he is talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Quote:
I'm not offended one bit. The weapons come from all over, but the border states are the most prevalent. Surprisingly, semi-autos are the primary weapon = CHEAP & EASY to get. The cartels do have access to full-autos, but semi's are MUCH cheaper. The actual breakdown of what type of weapon in that 90% is close hold, but my guess is only about 3% would be full-auto US legal-purchased weapons, and then an even split between rifles and pistolas.
I understand your points, but US Enforcement need to focus on the existing Laws already on the books, 20,000+ of them. Not enact a New Ban.

Fully Automatic rifles are Class 3 registered items, and IMHO very expensive to own here in the US. If there are individuals changing Semi-Autos to Full-Autos in the US with out a class 7 FFL, then our LE need bust them a new one, not attack the 2nd Amendment. If there's a 07 FFL whose weapons keep finding their way to Mexico, then he/she needs to be busted.

A few more questions, if you don't mind. What % of the original weapons purchasers had Hispanic names? Where the recovered weapons listed as stolen somewhere in the US? Does MS13 have anything to with gun smuggling?, as they are all over the US.

Thanks,

Ed
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
MEUSOC:
Let me break it down Barney style-

First, I think you are confusing Columbian cartels witht the Mexican cartels. They are two separate entities. The Columbian cartel was ONE cartel, with lots of money. There are 4 current Mexican cartels all fighting each other for power. They are concerned with getting as many boots on the ground with the cheapest weapons possible, not arming them with expensive guns.

Next, on the numbers:
Take 100,000 guns recovered in Mexico that were used in crimes (by the way, this is no where close to the actual number!!).

Using the 90% figure of what comes from the US, that's 90,000 guns.

That leaves 10,000 guns from outside sources, to include full-autos- mainly FN-FALs, G-8s, AKs, a few 240Gs. Are you satisfied with the numbers yet?

With the remaining 90,000 guns, about half are assault rifles (semi-auto) and half are hand-guns. My GUESS came from the fact that the actual numbers are not releasable to the public, and certaintly not in this forum.

When I can buy 10 semi-auto AR-15s from the US at $1k each, knowing they will make it to Mexico without issue versus 2 or 3 full-auto FN-FALs, G-8s, or AKs at $3k (MINIMUM) each that risk capture via boat or air what would you choose? Also take in to account I need to arm hundreds of foot soldiers. When I can put a semi auto rifle in his hands for a 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost, I am going to choose a semi-auto. It's simple economics. And contrary to popular belief, the drug cartels are not SWAMPED with cash. The big bucks go to tier 1 guys. The tier 3 guys are expendable and they are not going to arm them with expensive guns. Math and economics.

Clear as mud?

Can we talk about Land Rovers now?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartman
A few more questions, if you don't mind. What % of the original weapons purchasers had Hispanic names? Where the recovered weapons listed as stolen somewhere in the US? Does MS13 have anything to with gun smuggling?, as they are all over the US.
All great questions, and ones that I can't answer in this forum. The guns are being purchased as "straw" purchases and the BATF is hitting those people hard. There is a case in Arizona that is now in the courts of a gun store owner that sold thousands of guns - "legally" - to one of the cartels.

MS13 is a good point you bring up. The cartels have gotten smart and teamed up with MS13 and have enven ventured into the US on their own. Canada is even having cartel issues, with 8 murders this past week, all tied to Mexican drug cartels. They are recruiting heavily in the US, with a focus on people with clean police records.

Now remember, we can't focus on people with hispanic last names, that's profiling. We wouldn't want the ACLU to get upset.

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:24 AM
MEUSOC
BRYAN
NAS 110, 95 ST

Quote:

Can we talk about Land Rovers now?
My favorite topic!

Semper!
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
My favorite topic!

Semper!
Do you think the drug cartels drive Land Rovers?

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM
MEUSOC
BRYAN
NAS 110, 95 ST

Indeed!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/21/m...jeep-cherokee/

hahaha
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM
BradforD90
Doug Bradford
94' Defender 90

Use axel grease to bury your weapons and ammo! You will be needing them soon.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM
MEUSOC
BRYAN
NAS 110, 95 ST

I was just talking about this the other day... where can I get cosmoline? Or, what is a suitable alternative?
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

lately I've been taking with me (legally) my .45 everywhere I go just in case the shit hits the fan when I'm out and about. Need to go buy some more SPAM and cornbeef hash as well as water supplies. I should start telling chicks that if the shit does hit the fan, we may need to hook up to preserve the human species. Does anyone here go to the crossroads show in phoenix?

Robert Deniro
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
I was just talking about this the other day... where can I get cosmoline? Or, what is a suitable alternative?
Large diameter PVC pipe w/ end caps.

When the Aussies got hit, you couldn't find a piece of it over there.
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
By the way, a famous Russian scientist recently predicted the collapse of the US in 2012. Apparently the US will break apart into 4 countries and Alaska will revert to Russian control.

Red Dawn is coming!

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Wolverines!! He also said Russia gets Sarah Palin land as well

Robert Deniro
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache.
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
By the way, a famous Russian scientist recently predicted the collapse of the US in 2012. Apparently the US will break apart into 4 countries and Alaska will revert to Russian control.

Red Dawn is coming!
And Manahattan turns into one giant prison? I have totally seen that movie.
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here's a link to the article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504384,00.html

Semper Fi!
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache.
Classic...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat