Baja Advice or Recommendations? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 19th, 2005, 10:25 AM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

Baja Advice or Recommendations?

I'm planning a week long trip to Baja, MX at the end of May, while between jobs. It'll be my first trip to Baja and the goal is to be off-road atleast 90% of the time, camping, exploring, wheeling, surfing, etc. I plan on staying south of Ensenada and north of La Paz, but other than that, I'm still working on my route, etc.

Anyone out there know of any sweet spots that are a must see, etc.?

Trying to get as many ideas as I can before I cross the border. There are tons of websites out there on Baja, but I was wondering if anyone from here has been down there recently.

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I've been there a million time since the early 80's, and the whole thing is great. You'll have a good trip. I'll go track down a guid I have to refresh my memory on the places...hit you back up tomorrow or the next. Message me if I forget.

End of May is a good time. Have fun.
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:48 AM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to hear!
Another perfect excuse to gear up the 90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2005, 08:52 AM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Just to get you some thoughts from the road...I'll be back in the office in a few days...

First, buy the Baja CA Road Log (I think that's the precise name, or close). It's available at most big bookstores or atamazon.com. They update it regularly, and it's VERY useful. Also, buy Baja insurance. You can get it on the web now. Not sure of the URL, but I can track it down.

Here are some ramblings I took from my own notes...

- get tourist visa- there is a check pt at Maneadero south of Ensenada 4 mi. you could sneak thru, but you're better off having it.
- 119 mi to SanQuintin- Presidente Hotel's up from beach and explore. Nice stop/detour for a bit, then back on the road
- 112 mi to Catavina beautiful rock formations -sculpted rock phenomenal boojoom trees, cardone cactus, elephant trees
- take a road rt after Catavina and drive to one of the ranchos by the sea.
- then 145 mi. to Guerro Negro. Nite in at G.N. any motel on rt after running thru town and seeing
what's new.
- 88 mi. to San Ignacio Stop and have breakfast at the restaurant on other end of square from church- then go eyeball church- Restaurant is Rosas or Marias.
- 53 mi to S.Rosalia
- Down super steep slope to Santa Rosalia Stop and have lunch
- Just after leaving town Hang rt.on Huge Arroyo look for fossils on slopes.
- Visit both Mulege and Loreto to Sea of Cortez.
- Concepcion Bay- Coyote Beach and go for a swim then head up into los
Montanas del Gigante to the baja farm country on a huge mesa to Constitucion
then down to La PazLol for inexpensive Motel on roadway near city or go to
Via Rosales - an angle rt off hwy 1 just as you get to townand find a
decent hotel-Spend a day in La Paz then go Sw on hwy up into mountains and
stop at one of the neat restaurants going down the mtn that are sort of
hanging there.

This is a start...can't help a lot with offroad ideas, as I haven't taken the D-90 down there...BUT bring all your spare parts. You have 0% chance of getting parts for a breakdown.

Best of luck!
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Monkeyboy

We used to sail, swim, play, sit in the hot springs at Puertocitos......but that was like 35+ years ago. Is it still there?

KAA
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

Thanks for the detailed notes!... As I plan the destinations, etc I'm still weighing off-road vs. on-road time... I want to do alot of off-road, but I'm still looking for a half-way decent map of Baja, which I hear can be hard to find... whatever, I'll learn to read spanish and just by one down there
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Definitely get that Baja Road Log...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I also have, but cannot find, a Surfer's Guid to Baja (or similar name). It has some general maps of some of the offroad (water-related) destinations you'll want to go. Under $20 at any surfshop.

Also, please be careful when driving after dark...especially when you break loose of Ensenada. There is a lot of stolen vehicle trafficking. They drive late at night, fast, with the lights off...zoom by out of nowhere at very fast speeds. Also, watch out for the Federales (still), I got shaken down in La Paz just a year ago, right in the city, but I'd hidden most of my $$$. Do likewise. Tell them you use "credito" and don't have any cash. Offer to go to the station and pay with credit. See where that gets you.

Also, not to be alarmist...but about 10 years ago...just south of La Paz, I was pulled over at gunpoint, thinking it was the police, but instead, it was a truckload of banditos--VERY armed. They rifled through the car and took whatever they wanted. I'm sure it is isolated, and mosltly after dark, but do be careful...

Baja is a wonderful place, andit is a GREAT drive...strogly recommended. Just keep a lookout, as it is very Wild West...even today.

Enjoy!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong
We used to sail, swim, play, sit in the hot springs at Puertocitos......but that was like 35+ years ago. Is it still there?

KAA

Not sure...I don't recall a hotspring...I'll have to look things over and refresh. I'm sure it's still there, unless they built a Hilton on top of it!

Old April 27th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Monkeyboy

Hmm, seems like the hot springs were right on the bay side.....if you're standing at the little harbor, facing, what, south?, there's a small rise to the east full of housing for Norteamericanos. The hot springs were just over the rise at the shoreline.

KAA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat