Baja ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Baja ?

Anybody here ever wheeled in Baja? I'm curious about a wheelin/camping/fishing trip down there.
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Yes! It rocks. My wife and I are headed to San Quentin for our anniversary this month. We spent two weeks driving down to Loreto bay over Christmas. e-mail me and I'll give you some pointers. Also, contact John Gadd. roverdude.com I've gone with him a bunch and he know baja well.

Follow-up Post:

When would you be headed down. Maybe we could meet up. There is a trail called the pole line road that John and I have been wanting to do for sometime. I think it is a 2-3 day trail. Supposed to be hard, but that came from Jeepers.
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
Yes! It rocks. My wife and I are headed to San Quentin for our anniversary this month. We spent two weeks driving down to Loreto bay over Christmas. e-mail me and I'll give you some pointers. Also, contact John Gadd. roverdude.com I've gone with him a bunch and he know baja well.

Follow-up Post:

When would you be headed down. Maybe we could meet up. There is a trail called the pole line road that John and I have been wanting to do for sometime. I think it is a 2-3 day trail. Supposed to be hard, but that came from Jeepers.
Randy,

Let me know when you are thinking about doing Baja. I'd like to get back down there. I've only been down there camping on the beaches and would like to try wheeling there some day.

Abe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have made multiple trips down the baja over the last few years. it is a blast.
The sea of cortez side is really nice, way less crowded and the fishing is great. I mainly spearfish but I talk to all walks of fishermen and everyone loves it ... but if you surf stay to the pacific, or if you are looking for tuna. There are some really remote areas on the cortez side. But beware the washboard...in some places it is the worst I have ever scene, you need to get to 50mph to plane.

Bring spares, there isn't much landrover stuff around there. Also if you are truely planning on being in remote areas bring a complement of fluids and two spare tires... last trip we had three flats in two days in pretty much the worst palces possible. You really need to be able to get your self out...or you could be waiting a while for someone to come by. Get a good map, and GPS. Long range fuel tanks or jerry cans are a must. Plus a bunch of water.

Be more specific on how long you want to go and what you want to do and I'll tell you what I know (there is a bunch of climbing). If you want to drive to Cabo give your self at least 2 weeks to enjoy, other wise just explore the northern half, there is plenty to see.

Go check it out! it is a great place to use you rover in the way it was ment. It has been the testing ground for our 110 to get ready for our trip to South America, you learn a lot using, breaking and enjoying your truck in truely remote areas.

cheers
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Thanks, for the encouragement.

I would like to do some flyfishing from the beach or maybe a kayak. From mid July to late October would be the easiest time for me to get away. I haven't searched to see when fishing is best. Could stay a couple of weeks or longer if the fishing is good.

I just got back from a trip south of Cancun. It involved a 3 hour Jeep ride, a speeding ticket (the kind policia allowed me to pay him 20 bucks cash), some wierd bug bites, and some good fishing.

I wanna do it again!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat