Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 17th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bahston

Taking the family up to Bahston for spring break vercation (as my 5 year old calls it). I've never been...

The Sam Adams brewery and the children's museum, and day trip to Nantucket are on the plate, but what else is worth seeing or doing?

We are foodies and like hole in the wall places to eat (think Triple D places). Any must eats?

Staying at the Liberty Hotel...

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Italian Dinner in the North End - neat place to walk around and plenty of decent spots

New England Aquarium on the Waterfront

If Eagle (replica of the first Americas yacht contender) is in town, do the harbor cruise.

Nantucket is tough as a day trip. Better off staying the night at a B&B on the island. Pack rain gear.

Fenway depending when your break is.

Coolidge Corner Clubhouse in Brookline and Sunset Grill in Allston.

Duck boat tour on the Charles

Swan boats in the Public Garden.

Freedom trail guided tour starting in Boston Common.
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:44 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

X2 on:

Duck Tour, The aquarium, Freedom trail.

Also add the No Name Restaurant http://nonamerestaurant.com/

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
What dates?
If the weather is nice, take the fam for lunch on Newbury st after you do duckboats.
Don't waste your time at the Cheers bar, it sucks.

Keep us Massholes in the loop when you'll be around, maybe one or two of us can meet you for a beer, or ten.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
What dates?
If the weather is nice, take the fam for lunch on Newbury st after you do duckboats.
Don't waste your time at the Cheers bar, it sucks.

Keep us Massholes in the loop when you'll be around, maybe one or two of us can meet you for a beer, or ten.
31 March (Easter) to 4 April.

I good for a beer, or 10.

Semper Fi!
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
The New England Aquarium is better than. The children's museum for your 5-yo IMO.
If you want an authentic bar in Boston, you're steps away from Beacon Hill Pub, or BHP as well as Harvard Gardens on Cambridge street. Both are local, no frills watering holes.

If you want to take just the wife for dinner (a nice dinner) Mistral on Columbus has been my consistent favorite for 10 years and Grill 23 has THE best steaks ever, but $$$$$.

Middle of the road family restaurants but good include Joes Bar and Grill on Newbury (the also do a kick ass Sunday brunch).

------ Follow up post added March 17th, 2013 02:26 PM ------

lets find some time to grab several beers then. I know Ken (Bobcat110) and Rufus are always down for some beers.

If you go to Nantucket, you absolutely MUST make it to the Cisco Brewery. Totally family friendly, laid back atmosphere. Any place that lets you bring your kids and/or dogs and provides live music is a "go" in my book. Chillin with good friends, family and dogs while enjoying good beer and live music. The only thing you'll be missing will be the hordes or drunk hotties coming off the beach at 2-3pm because it won't be warm enough.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:44 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

All excellant suggestions. May I add Pizzeria Regina's in the North End? They have multiple locations, but the original is a great experience, surly waitstaff and all. Also, since you like dives...and hopefully pizza.....Santarpio's in East Boston is as awesome and edgy and local as you can get.

If coming to ACK, I can offer a X-Nato 110 back roads tour if I am on island at the time. Also have a friend with a great B&B. Cisco is indeed a must.

Oherwise,will happily join Jackie and Rufus on a binge with you if I am in Amerika at the time.

Old March 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Add the USS Constitution.

North End has lots of hole in the Wall restaurants. Kids of all ages will love Mike's Pastry.

Are you driving or flying?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
The New England Aquarium is better than. The children's museum for your 5-yo IMO.
If you want an authentic bar in Boston, you're steps away from Beacon Hill Pub, or BHP as well as Harvard Gardens on Cambridge street. Both are local, no frills watering holes.

If you want to take just the wife for dinner (a nice dinner) Mistral on Columbus has been my consistent favorite for 10 years and Grill 23 has THE best steaks ever, but $$$$$.

Middle of the road family restaurants but good include Joes Bar and Grill on Newbury (the also do a kick ass Sunday brunch).

------ Follow up post added March 17th, 2013 02:26 PM ------

lets find some time to grab several beers then. I know Ken (Bobcat110) and Rufus are always down for some beers.

If you go to Nantucket, you absolutely MUST make it to the Cisco Brewery. Totally family friendly, laid back atmosphere. Any place that lets you bring your kids and/or dogs and provides live music is a "go" in my book. Chillin with good friends, family and dogs while enjoying good beer and live music. The only thing you'll be missing will be the hordes or drunk hotties coming off the beach at 2-3pm because it won't be warm enough.
As an alternative to BHP and Harvard Gardens, try The Sevens. Mistral is a good choice.
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Add the USS Constitution.

North End has lots of hole in the Wall restaurants. Kids of all ages will love Mike's Pastry.

Are you driving or flying?
Driving

Semper Fi!
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
As a Navy man, I will have to second the USS Constitution. They do a pretty sharp job of it and wear period uniforms and everything.

John Adams' house is pretty historical and kills a nice hour or so.
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Some good advice above..
Liberty Hotel is suppose to have some really good food.
You mentioned beer...
Redbone's in Somerville has a very good microbrew selection and ok BBQ and is kid friendly.
ZA Restaurant is a short walk (or cab) over the Longfellow Bridge.
They have really good gourmet pizza or for a little higher end their sister restraurant (next door) EVOO is really good. And they usually have a few good microbrews.
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:24 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Was gonna say get your PME on at the Constitution but a few beat me to it...

Old March 18th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks all for the suggestions. Just wishing I was going to be there a little later so we could catch Sox game.

Semper Fi!
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Lots of great suggestions so far. The Beacon Hill Pub was where I took my wife on our first date. Then went across the street to Buzzy's Roast Beef (I'm a classy guy). I'm dating myself here, Buzzy's was tron down when they started to renovate for The Liberty Hotel. And I remember when that hotel was still a jail! But I digress...

USS Constitution is a must. Olive's restaurant, owned by Todd English is near by.
Giacomo's in the North End has great Italian seafood. They have diner for two special that is amazing.
Across the Rivah Charles in Cambridge, East Coast Grill is a great local spot. Get an ice cream next door at Christian's and then pop into The Druid for a beer.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_S View Post
Lots of great suggestions so far. The Beacon Hill Pub was where I took my wife on our first date. Then went across the street to Buzzy's Roast Beef (I'm a classy guy). I'm dating myself here, Buzzy's was tron down when they started to renovate for The Liberty Hotel. And I remember when that hotel was still a jail! But I digress...
Oh I miss buzzy's so much. I lived in Kendall square before people inhabited it other than MIT. That was my nightly boozed-stop on the way home.

Museum of Science, the "new" children's museum and new england aquarium could be done in a day with family. The new Boston Tea Party museum just opened and looks decent. Not sure what you do there, maybe throw tea off the ships. USS Constitution is a must.

If you need a beer break with or without family, run across the Charles River to Meade Hall in Kendall Square. It is .25 miles from the charles street jail (liberty hotel). Sweet spot for any beer lover.

You can also hit up the Harpoon Brewery for the non-I sold my soul to In-Bev, experience. Or something like that. The Harpoon Munich is fantastic.

May be sacrilege but the Legal Seafood Harborside restaurant on Northern Ave has a nice view of the water-harbor and stuff to keep the kids busy. Food is much improved.

Can't miss with the other recommendations. Not sure if the duck or swan boats will be out in time for your visit. Might be a stretch if cold anyway.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
As a Navy man, I will have to second the USS Constitution. They do a pretty sharp job of it and wear period uniforms and everything.
Another vote for the USS Constitution.

Bunker Hill Monument, too.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
hello - i know a place to stop. =)
let me know when you are coming. maybe we can have a boston gathering - if you guys will have dinner with a used car dealer?!?!?
Old March 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Buzzy's was great! So was The Tasty(?) in Harvard Square (that's where the Matt Damon and Minnie Driver date scene was filmed in Good Will Hunting)

Try the Harvard Museum of Natural History, there are some times in the week when it's free, cheap otherwise. Museum of Fine Arts is nice, free Wednesday evenings.

Mr. Bartleys for burgers in Harvard. The Barking Crab (is it still around?) Mike's Pastry in the North End (I like Cafe Vittorio for coffee and cannoli's better) but Mike's lobster tails!!

Go see my brother in law at Stoddard's in Boston it's worth it. (Jamie)

Porter exchange building in Cambridge..cheap sushi bar among others.

there's so much more
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:28 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
hello - i know a place to stop. =)
let me know when you are coming. maybe we can have a boston gathering - if you guys will have dinner with a used car dealer?!?!?
"Hey honey, I'd like to meet up with a bunch of random defender guys while we are in Boston for dinner one night. Don't worry, they all seem like nice fellows..."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat