Badger top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 30th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90
Badger top

Is the badger full soft top a whole lot better than the stock soft top? How does it compare for keeping you warm? How does it compare to the hard top? It is very expensive, so I was just wondering if it was worth it or if I should hold out for a fiberglass top. Thank you. I know I have been asking a lot of questions over the last few weeks, but I am trying to make sure I get the right 90. Thanks to all of you that have helped.

That is why it is called a short cut. If it was easy it would just be "the way."
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
I dont have a badger, but I've used the bestop (OEM vinyl) and the fiberglass top. The bestop is OK for its albeit limited lifespan (the material quality just isnt that good). To be perfectly clear, the fiberglass top sux even though I have mine on alot - I put it on when I moved this summer because I needed to be able to secure the truck (which didnt work because some bastard just broke in through my drivers window). Either way, I move every couple of years so I want the fglass top for snowy conditions in the NE etc.

The badger is just much better materials combined with more clever and informed design. When its time to replace my OEM top, I'll get one of those since the bestop is stupid money for what it is anyway.

Old October 30th, 2005, 10:27 PM
'94 D-90
I've got a Badger and its well worth the money. Its tons better than the Bestop, fits better and looks a lot better too. You can choose from a couple of different colors. Chris (badgerman) is on here time to time and will probably chime in. I don't notice too much of a difference on warmth between the two tops mostly because I have a drop curtain. It is less drafty as well. I would call chris and talk to him about it.
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Ex2 Adventures
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:21 PM
None - sadly
In my opinion the Badger II top I bought from Chris this summer is the single greatest (best) modification I have made since buying my 90. The top fits better than either stock top (Bestop or other) especially with the optional door frame support system. Allows you to install solid door weatherstip too.

Buy one, you will not regret it. By the way, I got a Badger II top in tan with a sunroof panel sewn in. Awesome.
Anything is possible, with the right tools...
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST
A plastic tarp and duct tape are better than the factory top.

Before you do anything call Chris at Badger and have him send you a brochure. I had the Rovers North / Badger top and was very happy with it. Then I saw the Badger II. I now have the Badger II on the truck and the RN top as a spare.

As for warmth...I think all soft tops are created equal. Wear warm clothes in the winter

As for the hard top I wouldn't bother. If you look in the Tech Articles section of this site you can read the instructions on installing the top. Looks like it is too much of a hastle to bother with if you live in an area where the weather is usually good. I might feel differently if I still lived in Bufffalo New York.
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
1994 NAS Defender 90
I think the question is how are you going to use your truck.
If it is an every day driver and you need to be protected from the elements then there is no question you should buy a Badger Top.
If the truck is going to be used as a weekend driver or when the weather is nice then a Bikini or Surrey top should be fine.
I had a Badger 1 and it was great. But it spent most of its time in my garage.

For 10 months out of the year I run a Badger Surrey, drop curtain and half tonneau when the weather is bad.
The other 2 months I run a metal half cab

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat