Old February 26th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Guys, I'll jump in here.

I know Chris personally, and have been to his shop several times. First, there is probably no excuse that either Chris or myself could offer for products taking over a year to be delivered- that's just the simple truth of it. As an owner of a Badger top, I went through a similar wait period back in 2010, and it was at times- very frustrating.
Realize though, that he is a one-man band. He makes Defender and Series tops for a living (with few exceptions), and we all know a) how few of these vehicles are on the road, and b) how many owners are willing to shell out several thousand dollars for one, when they could pick one off the shelf at Rovers North for much less. Bottom line is- he's operating on very slim margins, and although I'm sure he would prefer to hire 5 people to get us all off his back; it's probably just not in the cards. Answering phones, emailing, paying bills, ordering supplies, and shipping product takes a lot of time away from the sewing table. He's a Rover nut (like everyone reading this), who is trying to make a living off of it. He is not a business-savvy, Six Sigma black belt. He is however, one of the nicest, most sincere guys I know, who produces the best quality tops on the market.
Expectation management is not one of his strong points either, and based on what I've experienced and read from the rest of you- this needs to be something he does a better job with. If you had known from the beginning that it would take upwards of a year to finish, you wouldn't have the angst that you now do. Not a fun sentiment after spending $3k-4k.
For those of you who have ordered- keep on him about it, but realize that you're not calling Jegs when you pick up the phone to dial. For those who are considering one of his tops- they are fantastic, but plan on a solid year before you'll get your hands on it. With a little patience, you'll have a top you'll enjoy using for many years.
Ross,

You are right on, because if he would have even used any Six Sigma book as a coaster would have learned the process, but I have to tell you the pyramid will one day break.

Lets educate ourselves ..shall we?

1 top average $ 2,500.00
2 tops x week = $ 5,000.00
52 weeks x year = $ 260,000.00

he is 18 month behind so in my poor financial education that is $ 390,000.00

So, in recap, he is operating with almost 1 million dollars of Other Peoples Money, and the the margin is minimal, I doubt the 400k has been invested in materials, or any of that nature

Man the members of Toillette and Douche will have a field day looking at his books

Sorry, but there is no grey area when it comes to money , my good ol pal Bernie would have agreed
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Edit

1 million was wrong calculation
Should read 400k

Hard to type on iPhone with the Italian Sausages :-)
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:11 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Edit

Should read 400k

Then zip up and use your fingers instead

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2014, 11:15 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Edit

Should read 400k

That ties in well with this statement

"my good ol pal Bernie would have agreed"

Old February 26th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Edit 1 million was wrong calculation Should read 400k Hard to type on iPhone with the Italian Sausages :-)
Sounds like you just sewed your argument up all crooked.

Like Ross I've known Badger personally since 1995 (shit it really is that long). And like a Badger his stripes don't change. Ross is spot on.
He likes to do a product right, he likes to be happy personally.
Sometimes I get the urge to call and he don't answer other times he does. But if he does, that's just time taken from the seeing machine.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:56 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
And still, A Badger Top is worth any wait. We all want the best, and there are quite a few of us.

My 2 cents in defense. As a customer, I paid for perfection, I waited for perfection, and I got perfection. Then, upon installation, I f-up perfection. And yet, despite my fault in the matter, he fixed it, better and stronger than new, so that I wouldn't f-it up again! For free I might add.

I love my half cab/curtain/tonneau and appreciated the fact that he wanted me to be happy and that he personally did everything he could to ensure it. That's just plain good business." We all want his hands on the job and he's only got two. And sew on an sew forth!"- by his own hands. Just my .02
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:14 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Insinuating that Chris has created some kind of Ponzi scheme is a little over the top, in my opinion. If the wait is so unacceptable, why didn't you demand an immediate refund when you called, or dispute the charges with your credit card company?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:06 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I worked for a custom wine cellar company when i lived in Colorado. It was the same thing with that company. I always said it was a million dollar company if they could get it all organized.
Chris is a artist, same as my boss was, and his short comings with business/ organizational skills is what allows them to create things that the rest of us couldn't. He is honest, just be patient. When you get the top it will be worth it.
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:52 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Insinuating that Chris has created some kind of Ponzi scheme is a little over the top, in my opinion.
I don't see that as what he is saying. What he is pointing out is that the practice of "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" is not a good way to run a stable business.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Chris, ( Snell )

I am not insinuating anything close to that
My reference of Bernie is that you ( as Bernie ) know when you are out of your Asset side of the Balance Sheet and your Liability side takes over.

This is not an insinuation but rather an Observation, mind you a very valid observation

Mike ( ECR ) got the intent PERFECTLY and will adventure to say, he was able to see the statement below between the lines. Thank Mike

Now for all you in the wagon called " Let's Hate Rugbier for his statement ", my final gift

If the statement of ' Badger works with minimal Profit Margin " , is correct , let's use industry standards...40 % is the standard GOP for a healthy Company, 60% is the standard for a company every investor will try to take over, and 15% to 20% is the standard for a minimal profit company.

With that said, ( I 'll be generous and say his GOP runs in the 25% ) that will imply out of the $ 400,000, his profit is $ 100,000 and $ 300,000 is COS.

Now of course as " His Stripes don't change " he has purchased $ 300,000 worth of materials, and leaving him with the Long Term Income of $ 100,000 LTI or $ 5,555 AI ( see 18 month or short term 1/18th of that total over 18 month materialized monthly )

Let's say every unhappy, not patient, Cookies Lost client , requires a refund, that is an immediate Liability of $ 400,000.

So in a quick BS ( Balance Sheet ) Reconciliation, if the Company were to cease to exist , the Company will be H U M O N G S L Y upside down; with at Best $ 100,000 in Cash ( which I will have a hard time to mustard ) and $ 300,000 of Retail Raw Material that at liquidation will bring at best 15% of the value or $ 45,000.

If you still don't see my point and want to jump on my throat for a simple analogy, have at it, but maybe just before you start the jump, stop at Barnes and Nobles , I am sure they have some basic Principles of Accounting.

As usual, I love you all

PS. I am available for FREE of CHARGE Financial Consulting to any Land Rover Business that support our community , shall they have the desire / need to reach out
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Chris is a artist, same as my boss was, and his short comings with business/ organizational skills is what allows them to create things that the rest of us couldn't. He is honest, just be patient. When you get the top it will be worth it.
Sure and the solution is simple. Hire someone part time to run the business side of things. His happiness and productivity will improve and the customers will be happy. At 1 to 1.5 tops per week production, this is the easiest job in the world.

On of his buddies could do this in less time than sitting here reading this thread and playing on the internet.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:11 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Quote:

PS. I am available for FREE of CHARGE Financial Consulting to any Land Rover Business that support our community , shall they have the desire / need to reach out
between you and ron - we have a free accountant and lawyer on staff. thanks and keep up the great work. =)
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
I don't see that as what he is saying. What he is pointing out is that the practice of "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" is not a good way to run a stable business.
It was the "pyramid" and "Bernie" reference that made me double-take.

Guys, I don't disagree that this is a horrible way to run a business. I'm just pointing out that--in all likelihood--Chris has the very best of intentions here and it's most likely that he just really sucks at running the business side of Badger. I don't think Chris is a KVT or Bottdorf. As a customer, I was happy to put up with the long wait because the product was top-notch. If it's too much for some of you, perhaps the best course of action would be to ask for a refund.

/
/
/
/
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I dont know the Bottdorf situation, but from my understanding of the KVT sutuation, he wasnt out to scam or steal, but got behind and it caught up to him.

That is the danger being behind the 8 ball. All it will take is for an incident and the whole thing comes crashing down. Maybe a health issue, or somthing else beyond his control, but its precarious.

-Jeff

I dont know the Bottdorf situation : Like KVT, Nate was ( at the beginning ) a nice guy , working hard, making shitty looking items, but people liked, I bought his truck and was awfully represented , and never made it right, this was to the end before the Big Scam.

All it will take is for an incident and the whole thing comes crashing down: That is how a Pyramid breaks ( or as a good ol boy from the west coast will say in 'merica ) LOL
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

The eagle has landed!

A box arrived at my door yesterday from Badger Coachworks. The box seemed unfathomably small to contain a top.

After hefting the 33 pound box inside and opening the intricately folded pieces...I finally have my top!

The craftsmanship looks incredible! I will put it on this weekend.

So as everybody has said; just wait, it takes time.

Of course a little better communication would do wonders and I am sure improve his business.

All in all I waited: 456 days from the day Chris told me I would have my top and 506 days from my purchase date.

And now that I have my top I would say it is worth the wait.

Good luck to all who are waiting.
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimbola View Post
All in all I waited: 456 days from the day Chris told me I would have my top and 506 days from my purchase date.
And how long after it was originally purchased by Will's brother and the allotment was sold to you?

Quote:
And now that I have my top I would say it is worth the wait.
Great to hear!
Old April 16th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
And how long after it was originally purchased by Will's brother and the allotment was sold to you?
That I don't know, I do know that the original invoice has someone else's name on it, Matt purchased from that person, but that date is November 2011.
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:51 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
That I don't know, I do know that the original invoice has someone else's name on it, Matt purchased from that person, but that date is November 2011.
So when you buy a truck with "parts" on order does that affect the sales price?

Glad you are happy. Seems like you just got it in time to run topless in the spring
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
So when you buy a truck with "parts" on order does that affect the sales price?
I don't know the back story, but I am sure it is a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Glad you are happy. Seems like you just got it in time to run topless in the spring
It is staying in the box until fall! I am just happy I have it!
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:19 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Has anyone spoken to Chris lately? I am getting really frustrated with this whole things. Calling each day and emails. We are over a year already and he charged the balance 6 months ago!!

Any suggestions at this point?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, badger