Badger Coachworks - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 17th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Just spoke with Chris. As always he is a great guy to talk to, and he was very apologetic. He said he should start working on my top next week!

I really REALLY hope he comes through!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2014, 01:05 AM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimbola View Post
Just spoke with Chris. As always he is a great guy to talk to, and he was very apologetic. He said he should start working on my top next week!

I really REALLY hope he comes through!
Any tips on how to catch Chris? I have been calling and emailing weekly with no luck? Just wondering where my top is or my money, is that too much to ask for?

Anyone else heard from Chris lately? Is he alive and kicking? Is he OK?
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Still no top here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:25 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Sounds like Chris needs an apprentice or two.
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Still no top. Spoke to Chris today, he is trying to get my top out, although he admits that he is getting other orders out and is trying to slot me in.

It has now been 406 days since Chris told me I would have my top.

It has been 456 days since my purchase date.
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Stay strong. There are people in the world not even lucky enough to own a Defender.
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Stay strong. There are people in the world not even lucky enough to own a Defender.
Says the guy with a small library of Badger pieces
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

He's a Badger prepper. Smart move.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:17 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't understand how this is acceptable. He's going to "slot you in". Clearly everyone in front of you hasn't been waiting longer, or have they? I just don't get it....
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee View Post
I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't understand how this is acceptable. He's going to "slot you in". Clearly everyone in front of you hasn't been waiting longer, or have they? I just don't get it....
I guess you can always buy a top from that other guy.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

If I had paid him directly I think I might have better recourse. I didn't, I paid the guy who paid Chris.

I guess squeaky wheel gets the grease, but I can't imagine being much more pissed off than I am.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:01 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Russell,

You are correct, I didn't pay Chris directly, I paid the person who was in-line next. In fact looking at the original receipt it looks the like person I bought my place from bought it from someone else, as the receipt is from 2011. So badger has had the money since 2011.

The only reason I purchased the "rights" was because I was told the top was ready to be shipped. I contacted Badger and was told the top wasn't there (11/29/2012), I was told to expect the top at the end of January.

My next steps are very very limited and I have little if any recourse.

Earlier you said you paid a guy who paid a guy who paid Badger.

------ Follow up post added February 26th, 2014 10:02 AM ------

Quote:
If I had paid him directly I think I might have better recourse. I didn't, I paid the guy who paid Chris.

I guess squeaky wheel gets the grease, but I can't imagine being much more pissed off than I am.

Is there a chance your "records" are in dispute by Badger?
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Earlier you said you paid a guy who paid a guy who paid Badger.

------ Follow up post added February 26th, 2014 10:02 AM ------

Is there a chance your "records" are in dispute by Badger?
There is ZERO chance my records are in dispute, Chris will/can/does confirm that I am owed a top, not that is matters to you but I have a paid invoice with my name on it from Badger.

You are correct that is what I said earlier, in my haste I left out a step.

It would be pretty crappy of me to keep this thread going if it was an error on my end, there isn't.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:34 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

We just put on a Badger for a customer last week. He waited a year plus and his card was charged when the top was ordered.
Its the way it is. This isn't anything new. A year plus wait was normal back in the 1990s when we used Badger for our tops. Don't think you are being singled out or ripped off, you aren't. This is the "normal" for Badger. Its one guy making a lot of product.

Its the reason we make our own tops. Its the reason RN makes their own tops. Not because any of us wanted to, but as retailers and shops we couldn't wait that long.

You either deal with it or spend your dollars elsewhere.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Guys, I'll jump in here.

I know Chris personally, and have been to his shop several times. First, there is probably no excuse that either Chris or myself could offer for products taking over a year to be delivered- that's just the simple truth of it. As an owner of a Badger top, I went through a similar wait period back in 2010, and it was at times- very frustrating.
Realize though, that he is a one-man band. He makes Defender and Series tops for a living (with few exceptions), and we all know a) how few of these vehicles are on the road, and b) how many owners are willing to shell out several thousand dollars for one, when they could pick one off the shelf at Rovers North for much less. Bottom line is- he's operating on very slim margins, and although I'm sure he would prefer to hire 5 people to get us all off his back; it's probably just not in the cards. Answering phones, emailing, paying bills, ordering supplies, and shipping product takes a lot of time away from the sewing table. He's a Rover nut (like everyone reading this), who is trying to make a living off of it. He is not a business-savvy, Six Sigma black belt. He is however, one of the nicest, most sincere guys I know, who produces the best quality tops on the market.
Expectation management is not one of his strong points either, and based on what I've experienced and read from the rest of you- this needs to be something he does a better job with. If you had known from the beginning that it would take upwards of a year to finish, you wouldn't have the angst that you now do. Not a fun sentiment after spending $3k-4k.
For those of you who have ordered- keep on him about it, but realize that you're not calling Jegs when you pick up the phone to dial. For those who are considering one of his tops- they are fantastic, but plan on a solid year before you'll get your hands on it. With a little patience, you'll have a top you'll enjoy using for many years.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Hey I get it, it's a custom product it takes time.

All I am looking for is the top when Badger said they would deliver it. Maybe an update every so often. And not hear that someone else got their top before me because they were VERY upset.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee View Post
Reading through this. He maybe makes 6 tops a month. The wait is 12 to 18 months, so he is 60 to 100 orders behind. Most of these people are trying to contact him every week or two, making him work even slower.

He needs to find an organized friend to come in and setup a little schedule... Pop by for an hour or two every other week and update it. Customers get an estimated delivery date with email updates once a month or two. New customers are told it is a 14 month wait and can decide if they want the order. The phone stops ringing all of the time and he can relax and work on making tops....

Just saying...maybe one of his local Rover friends can help set this up. It would not cost much to have someone setup some order planning and keep it up to date. If he is only doing 6 tops a month, it is a pretty small project.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

He says he gets 2 tops out a week.
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Up further, someone that knows him said 6 to 8 a month and 6 is more likely. Regardless, for a "non-artist", this would be a simple little organizational job. Maybe an hour every week or two updating the schedule and sending out ETA estimates to customers.

he would lose 80% of his phone calls and make 95% of his customers happy. If I was local, I would do it for a deal on a top.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:20 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

I call about every day how do you catch him? The challange is that if someone tells you that it will take about 10 weeks and charges you for half the price and then 10 weeks rolls by and not a peep. How are you suppose to feel. Then your card gets charged the balance right before Christmas without a warning or invoice. How are we suppose to feel? If I knew the lead time was 14-18 months, not likely that I would have ordered.

He could put a add in Craig's list and find a willing stay at home Mom that wants something to do 2 days a week between 8 and 3 to organize, answer phones and emails. You are right I would help him put this together if I were closer and I could get my top!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, badger